Athabasca Hotel
$226
Filia Inn(Jasper)(Great Value!)
$139
Official Site
All reviewsshared bathroomno liftanimal headsrestored hoteldressing tablemiddle of townflights of stairstrain stationwalking distanceyour luggagequeen roomthird floorwater pressureplace to sleepstayed for one nightlight sleepermain floor
Reviewed July 7, 2006

I was on hoilday to Canada to visit my friend. She lived 8hrs away by car & was as good to pick me up in Edmonton & as planned we stayed there first then go to Jasper.
There was no one in check in at all, so we got lunch in the bar. The food was grand & priced reasonly. There was no elevater as one other trip adviser said. It was annoying as we were on the second. I do not know one of the reviews got one of the sfaff to help him up with his bags up to the second floor, as we got none.
My friend was lucky that she booked over the phone, so she was able to get a room that was not over the bar. The room was small & the bed was also supposed to be Queen size but it was a bit small size.
Grand if you want a room is a lovely location & right in the centre of Jasper, altough its not that big & u cannot get lost that easy.

• Stayed: August 2005
2  Thank Ripzunal
Ottawa
Reviewed July 6, 2006

I visited the Athabasca Hotel in June for two nights. I was in a shared washroom wich made me think twice. However I took the booking Being giving a price of 65$. The room was very basic but cozy , when you visit a place like jasper all you need is a place to stay with a comfortable bed and an inviting atmosphere. The shared shower facility's were very clean and the wait was not that long if you pick your times. The staff at the desk and in the bar and restaurants are very nice. It is mostly younger people working for the summer but they were very proffesional. The noise from the bar/night club was not bad it was more the outside people but it is downtown.If your looking for a place that has character and history, unlike lots of newer hotels i suggest the Athabasca Hotel for the real deal. I would definetly stay here again in a heart beat maybe get a room with bath, but i'm not worried. I did look at rooms with two queen beds and private washroom and they are very spacious. Well done!

• Stayed: June 2006
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 18, 2006

I stayed here for 2 nights, just last week. The hotel is okay, very basic. Nothing splashy, it was just okay for a short stay.
There are no bells or whistles in this hotel, so don't go expecting any. There was no coffee maker in the rooms, that would have been greatly appreciated. The room I had with a queen sized bed was small, but not cramped. It suited my needs.
I got the room at $99.00 (CAD$) per night, and that is inexpensive in pictoresque Jasper. Jasper is a "pricey" town when it comes to accomodations. Jasper is a bit of a tourist trap, so this was rock bottom price. Everywhere else was well over $100.00 per night.

The room was clean enough, no problems there. Just one small note: the pillow cases smelled musty, they needed to be washed. Other than that, no problems with cleanliness.

My room faced the street towards the front, looking towards the VIA rail station. I had no problems with noise. My room was quiet, a non-smoking room which was not over the pub/bar room.
I had breakfast at the hotel's restaurant here. It was quite nice, clean, good food and filling. I recommend it.

I found the hotel's staff at the front counter to be unfriendly, abrupt, sour. I guess the hotel doesn't give a -- who they hire to do the job there. Luckily, I only had to deal with them on arriving and departure for a few minutes only. Even the cleaning staff looked angry. Do any of the workers ever smile or say "hello" in this hotel?

Overall, I would recommend the hotel based on its "low" price only. Other than that, it is mediocre digs. It suited its basic purpose: a roof over my head !

• Stayed: May 2006
6  Thank HumnaHumna
Alberta
Reviewed April 26, 2006

Jasper was originally going to just be a stop for dinner on the way through, but the mountain air and desire to stretch out the road trip made us decide to stay the night. We called ahead to book having found a visitor guide and not wanting to go much past the first page. We got a great rate at the Atha-B and stayed there. Right away, both over the phone and then in person, the front desk staff member was friendly, polite and helpful in filling us in on what was good in Jasper, even on a "boring" Monday night. Another staff member offered to help me carry my suitcase, as I was on the second floor and sporting a tensor bandage. The bartender in the pub was friendly and, as it was quiet, made for great conversation. Every single staff member I encountered was friendly and polite, professional and helpful. While out and about in Jasper, we happened to meet some off duty staff who were as friendly outside of work as I assume they would be at work. Though it is definately not a 5 star hotel, the rooms were clean, the staff was amazing, the price was great and the location could not be beat. Anytime I go to Jasper from here on in, I will be staying at the Athabasca

• Stayed: April 2006
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Kelowna
Reviewed September 23, 2005

My son was on a trip back to his worksite in Grande Prairie from Kelowna and made the mistake of choosing this "hotel"? He paid $98.00 for a room with a bed and a sink. The bathroom was down the hall and down the stairs. I didn't know Canada was a third world country! They scam their clients by showing them a virtual tour of their lobby and pics of their rooms but failing to mention the fact that their rooms are 10' by10' boxes shot with a wide angle lense. Yes what you see is what you get. Their is nothing else. Do not make a mistake and stay here.

• Stayed: September 2005, traveled on business