“Central Bath ????”

Athabasca Hotel
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Jasper
“Central Bath ????”
Reviewed September 23, 2005

My son was on a trip back to his worksite in Grande Prairie from Kelowna and made the mistake of choosing this "hotel"? He paid $98.00 for a room with a bed and a sink. The bathroom was down the hall and down the stairs. I didn't know Canada was a third world country! They scam their clients by showing them a virtual tour of their lobby and pics of their rooms but failing to mention the fact that their rooms are 10' by10' boxes shot with a wide angle lense. Yes what you see is what you get. Their is nothing else. Do not make a mistake and stay here.

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Korean first
Ireland
Reviewed September 5, 2005

I stayed at the Athabasca for 2 nights during my wonderful trip through British Clumbia and Alerta's Rockies.

The hotel is not modern, indeed it could do with some minor renovations to the lobby and (so called) car park. But you get what you pay for and for $200 for two nights it represented good value.

Positives: Its very central, across road from Train Station and the popular Smitties Diner and numerous restaurants. The Sports Bar is full of Character, although the pool table could do with a new surface! The receptionists were also helpful, cannot be faulted.

Negatives: No elevator, which made a trip to the second floor with 2 suitcases a challenge. Not a major problem, but it would have been nice to be advised before when I applied over internet.
One thing I was warned about was the noise below my room, however I had no problem subsequently with the noise from the disco downstairs. The room was a little cramped, but it was about average for an old fashioned hotel of its age.

As for the car park, its around the back of the hotel in a yard that didnt appear too safe.However theres plenty of parking within Jasper in the 2 hour parking zones.

Overall, the location within Jasper makes it ideal, however the car park and overall facilities mean you will get what you pay for. Cheap room, convenient location, no frills attached.

• Stayed August 2005
4 Thank AustinStack
Calgary Alberta
Reviewed August 17, 2005

We stayed at the Athabasca Hotel in Jasper the night prior to boarding the Via Rail Skeena. I was a little apprehensive to book a room here after reading some negative Internet comments but was having a hard time finding a room for that specific night in Jasper even though our trip was still a month away. The actual booking of the room was horrible and involved a front desk clerk who did not know how to use the computer booking software. It took an entire evening and several phone calls back and forth, finally involving a manager before the room was even booked. If I weren’t desperate and extremely tenacious I wouldn’t have made it past the booking stage. But I’m glad I persisted. The hotel itself is old and has lots of character and charm. The room was clean but not terribly huge. The hotel was right across from the train station. The room was furnished with antiques and the beds were very comfortable. The large windows opened to the fresh air and a view of the mountain behind the town. The concern about noise form the bar below was negligible, we heard one loud song (karaoke?) being sung and a bit of bass here and there but it did not disturb our sleep at all. It might depend on where in the hotel your room is located as to how much noise you may hear. There are lots of restaurants located nearby and a Smitty’s Pancake House just across the street (allow lots of time as it was very busy in the morning). The price seemed a bit steep at 165.00 but all of the hotels in Jasper are expensive. I would recommend this hotel only if you want off the beaten path and prefer charm to modern chain style accommodations.

4 Thank Friesen

Travelers are raving about these Jasper hotels

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed July 6, 2005

I stayed one night, Sunday July 3rd, which was the last day of the long Fri-Sun Canada Day weekend. By the time I got to hotel, around 9pm, Jasper was pretty quiet, with work week ahead. So, my experience may not be typical.

Some clarifications. First, there's no A/C in the hotel, but I really don't think that should be a problem for most of the year. Even on the July day I was there, it was still only in the high 60's during the day. Cooler at night.

Second, the building is V-shaped. The rooms in the wing above the nightclub are smoking, while those on the other side are non-smoking. When I inquired about availability through email, it was well explained to me that smoking rooms will have noise from the nightclub till 2am. I don't smoke, so no problem.

There is no elevator in this 1920's building. Rooms are on the 2nd and 3rd floor. It was again explained well in the email I received. No bellboys in this budget property.

Now, about the room. I have a shared-bath Queen room on the 2nd floor, facing the rear. No real view, but I can still see part of the mountain. Room is very small. No bed stands, TV is hanged from wall, no closet no wardrobe, no coffee machine. Basically, it's just the sink, the bed, a small table to put the phone, a little ottoman for luggage (?), and the TV on the wall. Bedding is quite comfortable. Towels, shampoo/conditioner and soap are provided.

The shared bath (seperate men's and women's - I only used the former) is very clean, but just one stall and one toilet. The hotel was far from full during my stay, so no problem; but I can forsee waitlines on busy weekends. It was also very clean and is probably the most modern part of the building.

There is free parking in one of the four "lots" behind the hotel. I put quotes there because some of them are just small spots in the narrow alley. Even if you can put the car in, you may not be able to get it out. Most of Jasper has just a 9am-5pm 2-hour parking rule, so I just parked on the street overnight with no problem. Not in front of the nightclub, of course!

I ate at their restaurant. Good price. Decent prime rib. I'd recommend it even if one's not staying there.

Finally, about the staff. They are very casual, and often not very professional. This is definitely not the Hilton. Basically all the staff I've met are students from elsewhere, doing a summer job. A suggestion of mine about a minor thing with the shower was immediately shot down.

I just want to say that one should compare the quality and pricing of the Athabasca against other accomodation choices in Jasper. Not against Hinton or Edmonton. I paid more for this room than I did at the Edmonton Westin, but it's still the cheapest place in Jasper. You should expect plenty of young people on a budget there. If you want something nicer and more quiet, you need to go somewhere else. And pay more.

• Stayed July 2005
9 Thank rkkwan
Reviewed February 14, 2005

We stayed At the Athabasca as an inexpensive means to skiing Marmot Basin. It was the first week of February and very quiet. The room was small but very comfortable and clean. Our shared bath just down the hall was also very clean and easliy accessible. Nice it was not too crowded so we barely saw anyone else. I really enjoyed the downstairs lounge ie. cool hockey stuff and plasma t.v and cold Kokonees. Jasper is a small town and everything is in walking distance. We were so impressed we stayed an extra night before heading down the beautiful Glacier Highway to Lake Louise. Marmot was a great hill with uncrowded runs and breathtaking scenery.Those lookin for an off season no frills room this is a great choice. We will definately stay here on future trips to the Rocky Mountains. What value. Oh yeah, Hello to Darcy and a big thanks for your hospitality. We had a wonderful start to our vacation. See you on the slopes. Mike & Anna

• Stayed February 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 2, 2005

My husband and I have stayed at the Athabasca on two seperate occassions. We have really enjoyed our stay both times. The Athabasca is fairly inexpensive compared to most hotels in the Jasper area or the Canadian Rockies for that matter. Although the rooms are smaller as it is an older hotel, it has what you need. We selected a room with a shared bathroom, which one would assume could create problems or discomfort, neither of which we experienced. The shared bathrooms are very well kept. We found the staff to be quite friendly and helpful. While there we did encounter some guests who complained of the noise from the attached nightclub. We did not experience this, but have since learned that we were in the wing opposite to the nightclub. I suggest if concidering this hotel to book a room away from the nightclub. Others on this site have complained about the view from the rooms. This is true that the view is not all that great however I did not go to Jasper to sit in my hotel room. It is also true that there is no air-conditioning. However Jasper is not generally a hot spot, so it is not a major problem. My husband and I definitly found the Athabasca to be excellent value and if you are looking for a less expensive I would reccommend the Athabasca Hotel. I would stay there again without hesitation.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 23, 2004

I stayed at the Athabasca Hotel for 3 nights in August. Had no idea that there was no air conditioning, but since it gets relatively cooler at night, its absence -- while noticeable -- wasn't terrible. What was terrible was the fact that the Hotel has a nightclub which was directly beneath our room. After last call, dozens of drunken Jasperites empty onto the street, where they "wait" for taxis to pick them up. The Hotel is either unwilling or unable to quiet them, and we were woken up every night at about 1 or 2 AM. The noise, amplified as Jasper lies in a valley, kept us up for about an hour each night. The Hotel claims that it has no "jurisdiction" to stop the people from congregating in front of the Hotel. It claims to be "downtown" and, since this is known, guests should "expect" this noise, at this hour. Any decent, self-respecting hotel would recognize that noise of this type, this late, is a great problem for guests who are trying to sleep. It could remedy this by either (1) having the police there to enforce loitering laws; (2) tell patrons to wait for cabs inside the nightclub; (3) recognize that their guests are being deprived of a satisfactory experience and close the nightclub down. The Athabasca Hotel, however, feels that this is just part of vacation, and that it has "no authority" to act. In fact, I was told, at 1:30 in the morning, mind you, to find another hotel if I just couldn't take the noise. Really.
This may not be a problem if you get a room in the back of the hotel (we were in the front), but do you really want to stay in a place which suggests you go elsewhere if you have a problem with the service?

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member