“We enjoy the Athabasca”

Athabasca Hotel
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Jasper
“We enjoy the Athabasca”
Reviewed February 2, 2005

My husband and I have stayed at the Athabasca on two seperate occassions. We have really enjoyed our stay both times. The Athabasca is fairly inexpensive compared to most hotels in the Jasper area or the Canadian Rockies for that matter. Although the rooms are smaller as it is an older hotel, it has what you need. We selected a room with a shared bathroom, which one would assume could create problems or discomfort, neither of which we experienced. The shared bathrooms are very well kept. We found the staff to be quite friendly and helpful. While there we did encounter some guests who complained of the noise from the attached nightclub. We did not experience this, but have since learned that we were in the wing opposite to the nightclub. I suggest if concidering this hotel to book a room away from the nightclub. Others on this site have complained about the view from the rooms. This is true that the view is not all that great however I did not go to Jasper to sit in my hotel room. It is also true that there is no air-conditioning. However Jasper is not generally a hot spot, so it is not a major problem. My husband and I definitly found the Athabasca to be excellent value and if you are looking for a less expensive I would reccommend the Athabasca Hotel. I would stay there again without hesitation.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Korean first
Reviewed August 23, 2004

I stayed at the Athabasca Hotel for 3 nights in August. Had no idea that there was no air conditioning, but since it gets relatively cooler at night, its absence -- while noticeable -- wasn't terrible. What was terrible was the fact that the Hotel has a nightclub which was directly beneath our room. After last call, dozens of drunken Jasperites empty onto the street, where they "wait" for taxis to pick them up. The Hotel is either unwilling or unable to quiet them, and we were woken up every night at about 1 or 2 AM. The noise, amplified as Jasper lies in a valley, kept us up for about an hour each night. The Hotel claims that it has no "jurisdiction" to stop the people from congregating in front of the Hotel. It claims to be "downtown" and, since this is known, guests should "expect" this noise, at this hour. Any decent, self-respecting hotel would recognize that noise of this type, this late, is a great problem for guests who are trying to sleep. It could remedy this by either (1) having the police there to enforce loitering laws; (2) tell patrons to wait for cabs inside the nightclub; (3) recognize that their guests are being deprived of a satisfactory experience and close the nightclub down. The Athabasca Hotel, however, feels that this is just part of vacation, and that it has "no authority" to act. In fact, I was told, at 1:30 in the morning, mind you, to find another hotel if I just couldn't take the noise. Really.
This may not be a problem if you get a room in the back of the hotel (we were in the front), but do you really want to stay in a place which suggests you go elsewhere if you have a problem with the service?

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Jasper hotels

Reviewed July 5, 2004

My husband, another couple, and I spent one night in late June at the Athabasca, which I had located on the internet. The weather had been pretty warm, and our room faced the rear (west). When we got there, the curtains were open, looking out on the backs of buildings, etc., with mountains barely visible to the left and the sun pouring in. The windows were closed, and the room was experiencing the greenhouse effect. It was stiffling, and there was no air-conditioning. (And this was a pretty expensive room, about $150.)
We stayed away until nearly midnight and it cooled off. The beds were very nice and comfortable, the decor was lovely, with beautiful deep woodwork and pretty antique-looking furniture. One problem was that there was only one lamp, which was located between the beds, its shade still encased in plastic. At the least, a reading light by the chair would have been nice. Also, the Athabasca was the only hotel on our entire nine-day trip which did not offer at least complimentary coffee or a coffee maker in the room. That one thing would have helped so much. If you MUST stay here, request a front-facing room. If one is not available, stay across the street at the Whistler. It is air-conditioned.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member