“A Nice Older Style Hotel”
Review of Athabasca Hotel

Athabasca Hotel
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Jasper
Reviewed May 29, 2011

I had the chance to stay at this really nice place in downtown Jasper. It was a last minute decision as my plan was to camp in Jasper. However, it started to get cold out and I knew that I would not be happy trying to sleep when it was -2 degrees outside. So, I went into town and went to the Athabasca Hotel to see if they had any rooms available. The front desk clerk, Ryan, was a big help. I booked two nights there. The first night I spent in one room on the second floor; and for the second night I was moved to the 3rd floor. (Someone had already booked the first room I was in for the second night, that’s why I was moved). The rooms were comfortable and really nice. You do have to climb stairs to get to your room. Also, the rooms do not have coffee makers in them. I have stayed at this hotel a few times before, and I have been happy with each of my stays.
So, a big Thank You to Ryan who made my stay all the more special and relaxing.
One tip, if you want a peaceful night sleep, don’t book a room on the side of the nightclub as it does get noisy.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank SaskeyGirl

Reviewed May 10, 2011

They book your room above a nightclub and consider a phone warning like "it might get noisy" as sufficient warning for a subwoofer below your bed thumping to 2am and then loud drunks stumbling around when the club closes.

This is not what I expected in such a beautiful locale.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 24, 2011

We would not stay here again. The rooms do not have a coffee maker, so in the morning we had to go to the restaurant for overpriced coffee. The detergent on the sheets and towels left me with a terrible rash.

Our room was right beside the ice machine, which was VERY noisy.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MJM7777
Reviewed March 24, 2011

Stayed here for a night recently. Rooms are clean and reasonably priced. We got a room with 2 beds. Could not fall asleep until the kareokee downstairs was done at 2am. Went to the front desk to see what they would be willing to do for us, and all they said is that we were warned about possible noise in that room and that was that. No partial refund or credit for a different room the following night. They couldn't care less. We don't recall such a warning and would have opted for another option had we known our sleep would be distured and poor customer service. Went to another the Lobstick Hotel the following night and slept great, plus they had a hot tub and pool.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 21, 2010

I stayed at the athaB for a girls weekend away, and loved how convenient the location was. Within walking distance to shops and easy to find.
The rooms were comfortable, cute and the beds were very plush. Everything was clean, and in great order.
We were forewarned that the hotel is quite loud at night being located over a club, but we found the noise level to be quite tolerable. None of our group had complaints about not being able to sleep due to the music, then again we were dancing most of the night as well.
The bar and lounge was pretty busy, and in general the crowd was happy and friendly. The staff did an amazing job of keeping on any messes in bathrooms, or spilled drinks as soon as they happened.
The front desk was very courteous, and the restaurant was excellent, the best eggs benedict I have had.
The hotel setup is great, especially in cold weather, as we really didnt have to drive or walk to go dancing or to grab a meal.
La Fiesta restaraunt next door is also fantastic.
Note that there is no elevator, so hauling gear up and down flights of stairs was tricky, but being a historical building, that is to be expected.
there is no hot tub or pool, but the public gym, pool and hot tubs is on the same street.
Pretty fun little getaway, almost too fun....

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank vanash
Reviewed September 8, 2010

We decided on a quick trip to BC and stayed the night in Jasper. After looking at the very high rates the other hotels offered, we found that this hotel was priced fair with breakfast.

Upon arriving at the hotel there was plenty of parking, the lobby is like going back to the 1920's and very well kept. Up the stairs to the third floor, we found our room small but very clean and good enough for us, as we were only there to sleep. We had a drink in the lounge went out for a movie and dinner and went to bed late. Found the hotel to very quiet and the staff very freindly.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank sunlovers4ever
Reviewed August 28, 2010

We did not intend to stay in Jasper as we arrived at the end of the Icefield Parkway during the long weekend. Accommodation was limited and expensive. Unfortunately my partner had an accident whilst walking and we arrived at Jasper Hospital in the early hours of Monday morning. The night nurse kindly arranged for me to stay at the Athabasca hotel as it was across the street from the hospital and on the main street in Jasper. The room was a small double with a shared bathroom. This was fine for me but I thought we would have to try to find somewhere else as my boyfriend needed more space and an on suite bathroom to recover. The next morning my boyfriend arrived at the hotel, the staff quickly found us an on suite room with two double beds on the same floor as the current room so it was easy to move our baggage. The room was cleaned and made up early to allow us to move into it at 12pm. The room was large and with a lovely view over Jasper and the mountain. The beds were very comfortable and quite high. The hotel is no more than 5 minutes walk from anything you would need in Jasper. The staff were always helpful especially the front desk. We ate breakfast quite late as it was very filling and there was no need for lunch, the eggs Jasper were excellent and I can highly recommend them. Due to our circumstances I spent more time in the hotel room than anybody else in Jasper. I loved the thick carpets and traditional furniture; it reminded me of a Clint Eastwood film. We found the larger room very quiet, when I first arrived on the Monday night I could hear the couple next door having a rather colourful conversation however I travel everywhere with earplugs so it didn't cause me a problem. I think the large room with two double beds was $149 per night plus 5% tax but it would have slept 4 with ease, (I don't know if there was any extra charge for more than two adults). This may sound expensive but the youth hostel charges $43 per person plus tax for a bunk bed in a 20 person dorm so I guess it's all relative. I can’t thank the staff enough for the kindness they showed us during our stay

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple