“Nothing special, but great location and helpful staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Lobstick Lodge

Lobstick Lodge
Ranked #16 of 17 Hotels in Jasper
Surrey, UK
“Nothing special, but great location and helpful staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

Initially my thoughts were that the place is very dated. However I think this is common with most hotels in the area. Despite the dated appearance the hotel is clean, well located off the busy main road of Jasper and the staff 'go the extra mile'. When I return to Jasper, I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank vickiandrich
Brian_Higginson, Manager at Lobstick Lodge, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear vickiandrich,
Thank you for your comments and for sharing them on Trip Advisor. The town of Jasper is in the middle of Canada’s largest Rocky Mountain National Park and is governed by guidelines to ensure the architecture compliments the natural surroundings. Due to these guidelines the exterior of the buildings are not changed however we try and keep the inside as up to date as possible.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Korean first
Sherwood Park, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights to go skiing at Marmot. The hotel and rooms are dated but clean. Wifi is complimentary and parking is outdoors and available.
Biggest problem with the hotel is noise. The doors and walls are paper thin and there are people constantly walking and talking in the halls that sound like they're in my room. We are in a 2nd floor room and it feels like someone is banging on my ceiling like its a drum. It's just people walking around the room above us.
The tv is a large flats teen but the channel selections are basic. The alarm clock is an ancient but functions.
You can walk to town but its a bit of a hike. Driving there is more likely.
The pool is a reasonable size and goes to 5' deep but the water is cool. There is one indoor and 3 outdoor hot tub which are hot but comfortable. However all the hot tubs were crowded around 5pm.
Small inconvenience in that we booked a room for 4 but there are only 3 bath towels in the room.
Advice for staying here, if you don't mind stairs, stay on the top floor due to noise.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments. I am glad you appreciated our new flat screen TV’s. We just got some exciting news from our local cable provider. They are upgrading their system in the near future to an a digital signal so we hope this improve the image and possibly the selection.
All commercial pools & hot tubs in the province are regulated by Alberta Health Services (AHS)which include temperatures. Our pool is kept at a temperature of 27° – 28°c and our hot tubs are kept at 40°c. which fall with-in the AHS guidelines.
I will address the issue regarding the number of towels as our standard is 1 set per person.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed the experience. Our room was great. The facilities were outstanding. I used the pool, the sauna, the hottubs. They were clean and well maintained. Staff were knowledgeable.
Reading the other reviews, I found the rooms quiet and comfortable. One thing I did miss in the room was a microwave.
I would definetely be back and tell others about this place.
Thank you for a positive experiece and have a great year.

Room Tip: This was a first time there so not sure about the other rooms, but ours was perfect.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John J
Brian_Higginson, Manager at Lobstick Lodge, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear John J,
Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and I do hope we will see you again soon.
lesworth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

we stayed in lobsticks jasper, at end of jan 2013, the room was large, clean and well equiped, only here for 2 nights but would have stayed longer if it had been possible.staff friendly and helpfull, bar prices ok , and breakfast was good and wide selection,one downside is it is a little way out of town about 25min walk,

Room Tip: avoid rooms near swimingpool they can be a bit noisey.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank telboy661
Dear Telboy661
Thank you for your review, it is always nice to get positive feedback.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

I would still recommend the Lobstick Lodge in Jasper, but make sure you avoid the king beds!!
They sure look quite comfortable, but you won't sleep much... Whenever your partner moves, you move. I'm not even talking tossing and turning, just lifting an arm and you feel it. The mattress is comfortable but it's like you are on a moving platform constantly shifting with an horizontal move. Very unpleasant. We ended up in separate beds after two nights without sleep.

Room Tip: Avoid the king beds, or plan to be by yourself in the king bed if you want sleep!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marie-Jose B
Dear Marie-Jose B.
Thank you for your review and I am sorry you did not have a restful sleep. We just finished replacing most of our beds including all of our king beds so to see this comment is disappointing and perplexing. I do hope you will give us another chance as we have received quite a few positive comments on our beds.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

Myself, my wife and our 5 and 2 year old stayed at the Lobstick 3 days in room 318. It was party central ! Throughout the night and early morning hours people were yelling and cursing loudly in the halls. The swimming pool was just a zoo of commotion with people diving,yelling and splashing so much that my daughter and I just left. During breakfast a group of people near us were laughing and yelling quite loudly then cursing loudly to the point where I had to tell them to stop ! The staff gave us a free breakfast voucher (yippee); Im so glad my 5 year old is now cultured in profanity ! After complaining about the hallway noises to staff; they said they'd have more "patrols" which had no effect on the noise... I didnt get a genuine sense of concern from staff as if they didnt really value FAMILIES staying at there hotel but instead a bunch of rowdy and obnoxious youths. The only good part of the hotel was "Candice" our waitress who was great !

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank geritt g
Brian_Higginson, Manager at Lobstick Lodge, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
I am sorry this guest did not enjoy their stay. Our pool area is very popular and, at times, can be very busy, which may require our guests to choose another time to enjoy this facility. Another option is to use a pool at one of our other properties; this information is given to every guest at check in in our key card holder.
I did hear about the incident in the restaurant and we definitely could have done a better job of handling that situation. I have talked to our food & beverage team and reiterated our policy of zero tolerance when it comes to profanity in our outlets and public areas.
We have security personnel that patrol our properties constantly and respond to noise complaints as quickly as possible. We did receive one noise complaint during this guest’s stay, from another part of the hotel, which was dealt with in less than 10 minutes.
Again I am sorry this guest did not enjoy their stay as we do consider ourselves a family friendly hotel and do hope we are given a second chance by the guest.

Travelers are raving about these Jasper hotels

Cockermouth
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Jasper is a very interesting place. Some great visits close by. Maligne Lake is absolutely stunning, and Athabasca Falls well worth a visit. Actually had a "bear experience" at Maligne. The Lobstick is quite a long way out of town, and stes itself up for bus tours. We travelled independently so didn't like it that much. Just all a bit ordinary!

• Stayed September 2012
Brian_Higginson, Manager at Lobstick Lodge, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Brian W.
I am glad you were able to enjoy some of the attractions Jasper has to offer. The Lobstick Lodge is a pleasant 10 – 20 minute walk from the centre of town. We do have bus tours that stay with us and we cater to individual travelers and families as well.