“Lodges in the snow!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
England
“Lodges in the snow!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2007

My boyfriend and I & our 2 friends stayed here for three nights from December 27th - 30th 2006.

There were 4 of us (adults) & we had booked a junior suite which we thought would be suitable as there were shutters which could be pulled out to seperate the main bedroom from the lounge. In reality, there was little point in this as the room was very small & with only staying there for 3 nights we decided to leave the sofa made up rather than make a sofa bed (you'd have to make it up everyday or you'd have no space in the room) & just used the 2 beds, which were King sized & extremely comfortable!!! The rooms were nice, just small compared to what we'd been expecting. The maid always tidied the room & was very thorough.

The concierge were extremely helpful before we arrived, booking us several trips (via e-mail) & also answering any questions we had. Once we arrived everything was waiting for us (tickets etc) & they'd even booked us a ski lesson at Marmot Basin - the Fairmonts at both Lake Louise & Banff wouldn't do this as it was through another company, so Jasper went out of their way to help.

The main hotel complex was lovely and in great condition. The restaurants served good food - breakfast was $25 per person for a full buffet which had a wide range of hot & cold foods, or $18 for the continental. There was a deli if you didn't want a big breakfast. The Emerald Lounge was excellent for an evening meal, we had the 'Bison Burger' which is thoroughly recommended!! You can also take a taxi into Jasper & there are alot of restaurants there. In the day you can walk, it takes abour 1 hour.

We later travelled to Lake Louise & Banff & Jasper was definitely alot quieter. There's lots to do - we did the Maligne Canyon Icewalk ($50 each) & then did some skiing, but you can also ski on Lake Mildred which is right by the hotel. If you want somewhere with stunning scenery & without alot of other visitors, Jasper is definitely the place!!

• Liked — The location & quality of the main hotel interior (restaurants, lobby, shops etc)
  • Disliked — Rooms were small
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
10 Thank SamsCalling

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (825)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Edmonton
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Japer Park Lodge January 6th and checked out on the 7th. We stayed in room #468. We went there for a Christmas Party for my husbands work. I had not read any previous reviews, but was worried about going since I had called a week and a half before to reserve a sitter. I had left 3 messages at the concierge desk and then was able to finally request the sitter. I was told it was $16.00 per hour and a minimum of three hours. I was also told that there would be a note in our file the day we arrived to let us know that we had a sitter. Well I called around 8am the morning of the 6th and talked to the lady that I booked the sitter through. I was totally shocked when she told me that she did not have us written down as requesting a sitter. I was fuming, but asked her if there was any possibility that we would be able to get a sitter. I was not going to go down there and sit in the room that night while my husband was attending the Christmas Party. She called me an hour later and said that we had a sitter. Turns out she was our sitter for the evening. She was great. Now, for the rest of my review.

When we were driving up the road to the lodge I thought we might be in the wrong spot since it looked like a campsite with tiny log cabins that I would have stayed at during summer camp. Upon arriving to the JPL we were greeted by some very friendly doormen. They allowed us to park our car out front while my husband went to check us in. The front desk staff were wonderful, check in was a breeze and they provided us with a map on how to get to our room. Lucky for us our room was just a few buildings down from the main lodge. We got to our building and opened the door and walked down a narrow hallway to our room. Our room was very small. The room looks very cozy at first, huge king size bed, couch, table, chair and entertainment unit with the TV.

Don’t use the irons in the rooms, my husband went to iron his pants and the iron kept pouring water out of it and his pants were soaked.

We ordered room service for our son who is two and he had the chicken strips and French fries and milk. The food was hot and tasty and arrived in 30 minutes.

When we got back from the Christmas party our room felt very cold, we turned up the heat, but that did not seem to work. The drapes had rods that were broken so it was very difficult to close them. We crawled into bed and found that the down duvet had stains on it. The bed was very comfortable and we had a really good sleep.

When we got up in the morning we were able to see the room in the daylight and it was very dusty in the corners. The bathroom appeared to be clean but my opinion changed when I pulled back the shower curtain. The tub looked as if it had not been cleaned in forever. The toiletry items had been opened and some of the product used. The rubber bathmat was totally covered in green and black mold on the bottom. The toilet was really gross and looked like it had mold in the bowl. The towels were great and we actually had about 6 of them.

We found out why the room was so cold, the one window was open about an inch and no matter what you did it did not close.

Luckily my husbands company paid for our room. I am a travel agent and after staying here I would NOT recommend this place to my clients or anyone I know. The service I would say was fabulous, but the rooms were just downright gross.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
7 Thank trvlbiz

Travelers are raving about these Jasper hotels

Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2007

Thought I'd reward myself with a luxurious evening at the Fairmont after several nights camping. It was not to be.

The "cabin" I stayed in was $208 CA, which was more than any other lodging during what turned out to be a five week trip. What it was, though, was more like "tenement housing", a bunch of connected small cabins with a backdoor view of another row of tenement housing.

The cabin was tiny, the bed took up much of the room, and the TV was small. The bathroom had all the modern accoutrements, but aside from the bath, the room was about the size of a small college dorm room.

Listen, I'm all for improving the bottom line. But not at my expense. You get $208 a night from all those small rooms in tenement row and the Fairmont is making a killing.

I looked at the room service menu and against better judgment, decided to order a small personal pizza for $9.95. The call was made, the pizza ordered . . . and I never heard from them again.
That type of service was unbelievable for a place like the Fairmont.

Were I interested in breakfast the next morning, I could have had pancakes for $17. Nearly all other breakfast enteees were over $20. No thanks. I had pancakes on the lower east side of Manhattan, NYC for $10 this year, and that seemed about right.

The Fairmont seems mostly interested in removing as much expendable income from their clients as possible via their "indoor mall", their $17 pancakes, or their exhorbitant rates for a small cabin. It was a very disappointing experience and I will not be returning.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — cost--value--service
  • Tips/Secrets — avoid
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled solo
7 Thank adak99546
Malta
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2006

We booked this hotel for a special Christmas Eve and Christmas Day treat. What a mistake! The outside looks like a cheap holiday camp (nothing like the Fairmont in Lake Louise or Banff. We booked a lakeside view suite the view was of the trees in front of the lake ! The room had a privacy screen around two double beds so they were not visable from the sofa bed and sitting area, the screen was missing a door so no privacy (a major reason we chose this type of room) maintance couldn't fix it, but to be fair they did pay for 2 days breakfast for the family, unfortunatley the food in our opinion was sub standard for a 4 1/2 * hotel. Most of the lamps in the room didn't work either because of broken bulbs or other problem. The in room dining service is a joke, Food cold, wrong food arriving, cutlery missing, we tried it a couple of times to give them a chance but same thing happened again! Huge crack in bathroom sink, bathroom door didn't shut amongst other problems. Service in Moose Grill sub standard for star rating, didn't bother trying other eating venues in hotel. Took a wagon ride on the site, wouldn't reccommed it really boring ! Would not stay there again and has put us off trying any of the other Fairmont hotels

• Liked — The desk staff were friendly
  • Disliked — The view
  • Tips/Secrets — Give it a miss
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
8 Thank maltesetraveller
Edmonton AB
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2006

I was just at this hotel on Saturday, we originally were going to stay in the regular fairmont room, but we decided to upgrade to one of the nicest rooms they have. It was called the Lakefront Suites, and OMG, what an amazing room. You walk in the front door to the left is a closet, fridge, microwave, safe, and the bathroom, which was huge, gorgeous double sinks, a jacuzzi tub a wonderful glass shower, towel warmer, and robes, if you keep coming into the room there is a seperate bedroom, with an armour and tv, two sets of sliding doors, one set opens up in the living room, which has a couch, chair, living room table, dining room table, cordless phone, ( there is also a phone in the bathroom and bedroom) a tv and the best party of it all was the gorgeous wood burning fireplace. They deliver wood and ice to your room whenever you want. The paper id delivered to every room in the morning and left on your door. The main lodge is where the christmas party we were attending was, and I truly recommend having yours their, there was a huge buffet, a live band bars everywhere, things are a bit pricey there but for once a year it is worth it. The next morning we had a brunch buffett in the same room the chirstmas party was in, and the food was amazing! I recommend having your next years Christmas Party at the Fairmont JPL, and get the Lakefront Suite!!!!

• Liked — Our Room, The Lakefront Suites
  • Disliked — It being so cold and having to wait for the Shuttle.
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't go cheap, save your money for this place, it is worth every penny! You only live once!!!!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
6 Thank HotelFan1235
Calgary, AB
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2006

Attended a confrence here in October for my work. This property is very facny and expensive. The main lodge is very nice and I nice place to be. This only problem with this place is that it consists of several different buildings and so you have to do lots of walking. There is not enought parking close to your room, but they do offer free valet parking for that reason. Very pretty setting, but about a 10-15 Min drive into town. Food is good here but be prepared to pay lots for a little. I would stay here again, but not on my own dime!

• Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank Family_Guy
San Francisco
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2006

This is the first time I've stayed at this place in a few years. The quality level, on all aspects, has gone done. The room was a little beat up, a few of the promised amenities weren't fully functional (hot tub broken down for a while). It is clear that there is very little interest in investing into this place and they are just milking it based on its reputation. I'd pick another spot in the Jasper or somewhere in the Rockies!

Stayed September 2006