We stayed here for two nights in one of their most expensive suites during a hiking trip in Banff and Jasper Parks. We had heard it was just the place for a little pampering, for which we paid $714 (CAD) per night. The bottom line is, it is a great place to stay for two nights because of the scenery and plush estate feel of the place, but after that, you will resent being overcharged for restaurant food, no parking spaces anywhere near your room or suite, no air conditioning and "We know there are these problems, but we really can't do anything about it" response whenever you complain.
The Good - It's a beautiful setting. On a private lake surrounded by tall fir trees at the foot of beautiful mountains and big blue skies. The people who work here are helpful and very understanding. The lodge and golf club are very nice and the shops are nice. The restaurant food and the service is very good, although an entre' in either of the two white table cloth restaurants runs about $28-37 (CAD). If you only stay 1-2 nights, get a suite with a fireplace. It was so awesome to wake up and build a cozy fire with a beautiful lake just outside.
The Bad - 1) The rooms and suites have no air conditioning. Of course, the daytime temperature in the heat of summer is about 76 degrees (F), but the sun faces all the units which face the lake and if you open all the doors and windows and turn on the ceiling fan, if you are lucky enough to have one, you can get the temp down to about 80 degrees. 2) The restaurants are way overpriced, although the service is about average. Some guidebooks have stated that the tuxedo wearing waiters in the most upscale of the restaurants have an attitude problem. We dined in the Moose's Nook and had a great waiter named Allen, which attended to our party much more closely than the other waiters we noticed there. I recommend that you try out the restaurant at the Tekara Lodge on Hwy. 93A. Awesome food and service, 5 star quality at a 3 star price. Get reservations. 3) No close parking spaces after 7 p.m. If you are returning from hiking or town after then, you will have to walk about 1/2 mile to your room or suite no matter how much you pay for accomodations, unless you succomb to valet parking and want the hassle of having to order your car if you want access to something you left inside it. 4) There is precious little privacy here unless you draw your drapes. The patios and balconies, even in the most expensive suites are only about 4' deep, have only a thin wall between you and the next unit or the one above or below you, and have a heavily used public walkway another 4' away.
Actually, the hotel management must know of all these issues, but have done nothing to resolve them. So they will have to deal with the complaints. I feel really sorry for the people who work here.
As for the other reviews for this hotel, my take on them is that the reviews fall into two categories: A. Those people who feel like I do that they like the pampering but they resented paying for it and having to deal with the poor planning of the hotel, or B. Those people who work at the hotel who feel the need to lie about the hotel in reviews by posting anonymous and glowing comments, that could not possibly be true even if one were an eternal optimist.
Nevertheless, I would stay here again for 1-2 nights now that I know what to deal with. And now you will too.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Surrounded by snow-capped peaks and sparkling lakes, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge welcomes you to the Grand Rocky Mountain Lodge Experience. The charming cabins and rustic elegance make it the embodiment of peace, tranquility and natural beauty. Enjoy great golf, a luxury Spa, spectacular outdoor adventure opportunities, uncrowded ski slopes and fine cuisine at The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Fairmont Hotels, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Cancelon, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fairmont Jasper Park Hotel Jasper
- Jasper Park Lodge
- Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge Jasper
- Jasper Fairmont