“Great Views but Horrible Rooms”

Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Jasper
GreenLeadersSilver level
Markham, Canada
“Great Views but Horrible Rooms”
Reviewed August 3, 2014

If you stay here, the views were amazing, the lake were beautiful, the outdoors were amazing, the hotel is super big, the horse were nice, the lobby was big but the rooms....OMG, the rooms were actually mini houses, the rooms were supper small, there's barley any room for more than 6 people. There is no such things as hallways, so if it rains, you have to walk outside to get to your rooms. The staffs were not 24 hours available, most of them left at 6pm, so after 6 pm, you have to do most of the stuff on your own like for example, fix your toilet.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Andy Y
FairmontJPL, Manager at Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Dear Andy Y,
Thank you for writing a review of your recent stay with us. We are delighted you were able to enjoy the lake, the beautiful outdoors, our riding stables and the main lodge. We are however, disappointed you found the rooms too small. The room you booked was our standard Fairmont room. Ranging from 275 sq. feet, our Fairmont rooms are ideal for individuals or couples. Kindly note we do offer deluxe rooms, suites and signature cabins for larger parties. Please accept our apologies that you were not made aware during your stay we offer 24 hour service. From maintenance staff to bellman to front desk and housekeeping staff, they are all available at any time to offer their assistance. We can certainly understand the frustration this would cause during your stay with us. We are truly sorry that we did not meet your expectations and sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future. Sincerely, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (834)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
waterloo, Canada
Reviewed August 2, 2014

Staying at Fairmont Calgary, Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper for our anniversary tour. I'm lying in this crap room thinking at 700 bucks its the worst return on this amount of cash I have ever spent. On anything. My big shouldered suit in 1989 was better value. At least it made me feel cool for a year or two. My 16yo basement bedroom with Rachael Welsh poster and dirty underwear on the floor was nicer then this room. The "bonus" the front desk tried to sell me was that I was lucky to have an air conditioner the size of a VW beetle at the foot of our bed that roars like a Harley because there is no air conditioning in rest of the rooms. How lucky am I!
If this room was sold as a lakeside rustic room at a market price it would be totally fine. Don't get fooled like we did thinking it was anything special. Don't fall for their fancy shmancy hoity toity marketing. Its a pig with lipstick. 3 dressed up as a 6, correction 5...maybe. Ridiculous. I feel like I've been assaulted.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rohat
Dear rohat,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and observations. We are terribly disappointed to hear that your stay was not as memorable as we would like. Clearly, several aspects of our services failed to meet your expectations during your visit with us and we are truly sorry. Your experience was in no way indicative of our normal level of quality and service and we hope that you may give us a second chance in the future. Sincerely, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge.

Travelers are raving about these Jasper hotels

CT
Reviewed August 2, 2014

Usually when my husband and I travel, we check the reviews on tripadvisor for any hotel we are contemplating staying in. Because we thought Fairmont was a universally reliable name, we didn't bother. Big mistake!!

This hotel is unbelievably shabby in appearance and run-down. We were shown to a musty, tiny room in what resembled an army barrack with a small plastic fan whirring since there was no A/C. We could not believe we were paying approximately $500/night for this.

While relaxing on the bed, the next thing we knew, the ceiling fan came crashing down (no joke!)
Although I am sure this was an unusual event, this is symptomatic of a very poorly cared for hotel that has been allowed to slip into total disrepair.

I commend the staff who were extremely attentive, moved us immediately and were incredibly apologetic and concerned about our welfare. Thank you to them!

Overall, this hotel needs a major overhaul. The brunch is mediocre, the pool is small and not modern, they charge for everything such as using the canoes and a shuttle to town and the staff, while pleasant, are inefficient. (waiting list of people for brunch when there were tons of empty tables, being told it would take 10 minutes to put a place setting at a table, not replenishing coffee in the room, etc.)

The setting, however, of this hotel is beautiful! I really hope it gets the renovation it needs. But, unfortunately, I will think twice before I stay in a Fairmont property ever again.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Beshle
Dear Beshle,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. We are pleased you enjoyed the setting. It is, however, unfortunate you had less than a satisfactory overall experience with us. We continuously strive to meet and exceed guest expectations and clearly did not achieve that with you, of which we apologize for. We hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in the area so we may better demonstrate our commitment to your satisfaction. Sincerely, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge
Calgary
Reviewed August 2, 2014

Way overpriced for the exterior of the rooms in disrepair, mediocre food and high prices. This is not a value proposition in an iconic part of Canada. The old CP Hotels provided great value in amazing locations. This has the location, the value is definitely lacking.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

3 Thank Chris B
Dear Chris B,
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are happy you were able to enjoy our location. Please accept our most sincere apologies the remainder of your stay did not meet your expectations. Your comments are helpful to us and allow us to confirm that we are investing in improvements that are most important to our valued guests. We hope you will give us another opportunity to show you the quality accommodations you expect should you return to our area in the future. Sincerely, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed August 2, 2014

I think I've now stayed here 4 times and each time is better than the last!

Yes. It's pricey. Is it worth what they charge? Probably not,
Do I have a problem paying these prices? No.

From the moment you pull up to the front lobby you're treated like a long lost friend.
So helpful and friendly.

And the views? Nothing like them and they make the costs worthwhile in my experience.
I'm normally a camper, and have stayed in Jasper at least two times every year.
Every once in a while though I treat myself to JPL

This last stay I was here by myself with one of my 3 dogs. It is a VERY dog friendly resort.
Yes, they charge extra for the dog but that's understandable as they clean the room
thoroughly before the next guest uses the room. And a portion of that fee goes to a donation
to the local SPCA so that's ok by me! They provided me with a dog sitter when I enjoyed a massage at the spa for an hour too! I wish more hotels realized that most pet owners are responsible for their pets in hotel rooms and extended their pet policies the way JPL does!

I was also super impressed with all the initiatives in making JPL as eco friendly as they do. That's also important to me as a guest who cares about the environment.

All the services were great but especially the food and staff from room service. Such great staff here!

Only two minor negatives on my stay this time, One was I never got any housecleaning done in my 3 day stay. Saw them in connecting rooms but never once did a staff member even knock on my door to ask if I needed anything.

The other was the huge amount of trouble just trying to pay with my stay in cash! I booked the room online using a credit card but told them when I checked in I did not want anything charged to the card and I would be paying cash for it all. It caused problems throughout my stay with things such as room service refusing to charge meals to my room. I even went to the front desk and left a hefty deposit and the problem wasn't rectified until the day before I departed. It's sad that cash is so hard to use these days!!

In the scheme of things though, these were minor inconveniences.

I WILL be back again soon as it's lovely to spoil yourself here every once in a while!

Room Tip: Try to get one of the cabins/rooms along the lake front. Extra money, but worth it!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
FairmontJPL, Manager at Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Hi Sam_W_Canada, thank you for posting your review. We're thrilled to hear about your stay with us and that we are consistently able to make you feel so at home. You're right - we do love dogs here at The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge - after all, they're part of the family. We are of course very disappointed to hear that you did face some challenges and for this we truly apologize. Your comments are valuable to us and have been passed on to the appropriate teams for review. We certainly look forward to welcoming you (and your dogs) back again soon. Sincerely, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 2, 2014

We traveled through the Canadian Rockies and stayed at a number of the Fairmont properties - Banff and Lake Louise - but our favorite was Jasper. Tremendous number of activities for the family - canoeing or kayaking on Lac Beauvert, fly fishing on Lake Maligne, White Water Rafting on the Athabasca, Hiking or Biking the trails,etc. This place was far less crowed than the other Fairmont properties - a key to relaxing. The cabins are cozy and if you can get one on the water front (600 series) its a bonus as they have A/C in the family room and given the beautiful weather it was worth it. Needless to say the ride up the parkway is spectacular and well worth the time.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear 128George - thank you for your comments, and for naming us your favourite Fairmont hotel in the Rockies! It sounds like you and your family had a wonderful time exploring the area. We hope to see you back again in the future. Sincerely, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge
Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed August 1, 2014

I'm at the Jasper Park Lodge as I type this. I booked this hotel for 2 nights thinking I deserve to splurge since my niece is getting married here. OMG!!! this place is a hell hole. Don't believe their website when it says luxury because it is far from it. For 500 bucks a night you would think that they would actually clean the rooms. Its is filthy. I don't even want my dog to sleep on the floor. The lights in the bathroom are furry (with dust) there is something unidentifiable on the curtains. The heaters are falling apart and the closest door edges are caked with filth.The is no air conditioning whatsoever unless you call a small dirty fan A/C. The parking is horrific. I can only imagine how clean the food service areas are if the rooms are this bad. Save your money people. Learn from my huge mistake.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Susy E
Dear susy E,
Thank you for taking the time to send us your constructive feedback in regards to your stay with us. Your comments have been communicated to the concerned departments to ensure we do not repeat such occurrences. After further investigation of your recent stay we understand you brought your concerns to our Assistant Front Office Manager. We believe you were provided with fair compensation for the malfunctions in your guest room. If you wish to discuss this in greater detail please do not hesitate to contact us directly at jasperparklodge@fairmont.com. It is with comments such as yours that allow us to continuously improve our offerings and we hope to welcome you back for a chance to create a more positive, memorable experience. Sincerely, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge