“lovely staff party” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Edson, Alberta, Canada
“lovely staff party”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

We went to JPL for our staff Christmas party. We had a supper, dance with a live band and DJ, a night's stay at the resort and brunch buffet. They have a spectacular secluded location amid the mountains and on a lake. Where JPL shines is with their service, from their doormen to the servers, I give them an A+. They are known for their beautiful Christmas décor through the entire resort. Lots of time and effort is put into that. I was impressed by the plethora of activities year-round for all ages. There is even a small shopping mall below the main building. We were a bit disappointed with the rooms. we had room 613 which is a cabin 4-plex. It was quite dated, with some renovations. Just not what I expected for the price my bosses paid. The worse thing was the parking. There is a main parking quite a distance from the rooms and a few spots (which were always taken) near the rooms. Some cabins were quite a hike from the main parking and lodge. I guess it wouldn't be an issue in the summer, but at -30C we would like to park close to our room. The dinner and brunch buffets were delicious. Lots to choose from. The band was entertaining and sounded good. Overall, we had a nice time!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
FairmontJPL, Manager at Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Thank you for your comments Nicole M. First off, Merry Christmas - we're glad you had a fun time at your company holiday party. We understand that parking can be a hassle as we are only provided with so much room to work with - but we do offer valet parking that could eliminate that pain for you next time. We look forward to the opportunity of having you stay with us again. Kind regards, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (816)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

TLDR: poor room standard, poor organisation, poor check-in staff attitude! A massive disappointment.
I arrived into Jasper after a really spectacular stay at the Shangri La in Vancouver and a breathtaking rail trip into the Rockies, so I was in high spirits and ready to be wowed by the well renowned Fairmont service, unfortunately my stay was littered with letdowns and dissatisfaction. To be honest the only redeeming factor I could find was the friendliness and welcome provided by the shuttle drivers and in room dining service.
I disembarked in Jasper at approximately 17:00 and had contacted the Concierge in advance to have a shuttle waiting to bring me to the lodge as had another couple who were on the rail service. So it was a shock and a disappointment to find that we were to be left standing in the cold for 20 minutes whilst waiting for a taxi to be ordered by Fairmont, please note that Jasper had recently reached temperatures of -30oC so I felt that this was a poor display by the Fairmont and could be improvd by better management.
Upon arrival at the Lodge, I arrived to a check in that to be put politely was in disarray people were mingling at the entrance and the people behind the counter were stand-offish. As I am a Fairmont Presidents club member I was waiting to be checked in by the dedicated staff member there, however I was shunted over to a regular check-in desk and from there more problems continue.
As I identified myself and we were working through the room details and Lodge amenities I felt that I was being hurried out of the way and not welcomed as I had been in Vancouver, also I noticed that the room that had been described was not exactly as per the description that I had in the confirmation, I checked this with the lady checking me in by showing her my confirmation printout and I was assured that it was the same room.
Upon reaching room 540, at the distant edge of the premises, I walked into an odorous poorly lit suite which was well dated, the only saving grace was the fireplace which was not lit when I arrived and the bathroom which while luxurious upon inspection had a floor that was not well heated and felt like ice to the touch which might have been ok if I had been able to find the slippers at all.
A quick breakdown of the rooms presentation is as follows, cracks on some of the walls, wall paper bulging out at corners, beds that were so over used that the head of the bed sunk well lower than the foot so I felt like I was sleeping practically upside down, two of the lamps in the lounge were broken, and as lamps were the only source of light available I felt that this was an entirely a poor effort. Floors were not level with odd bulges and falls, and we're extremely loud to walk on. My door was ridiculously stiff and required slamming to close.
I checked out the next morning as early as possible, and double checked the room that I had been given was actually the same one I had confirmed , it was to my rueful surprise that I had in fact been given the wrong room, however no apology was offered and nor did I receive much by way of thanks for my business.
I felt that this property had poor management as I certainly saw disorganisation rife throughout the Lodge, i feel that this Fairmont needs an update both aesthetically and managerially, as the Fairmont standard is being woefully misrepresented at the Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge and I would love to return in the future to a majestic lake side retreat that I had hoped it would be.

Room Tip: Ensure at check-in that staff are putting you in what you requested. I'd recommend the main buil...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank NichCo
FairmontJPL, Manager at Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear NichCo - thank you for sharing your experience with us. We were disappointed to read of our service shortcomings during your quick visit to Jasper. We apologize that we failed to meet your expectations, and quite frankly our standards of service. We are very sorry to hear that the guest room was not what you expected, and have passed on your comments to our Engineering and Housekeeping Teams. Thank you for bringing these items to our attention. For the safety of our guests we do not light the fireplaces prior to a guests arrival, but kindling and wood is provided as well as housekeeping service to prepare the fire upon request. Your business is important to us, and while we cannot change the past we are committed to learning from our guests and for continuous improvements. We hope that you allow us the privilege on another occasion to provide you with a comfortable and hospitable stay. Sincerely, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge

Travelers are raving about these Jasper hotels

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013

This Fairmont resort offers spa, golf course, hiking trails and much more.

Went regularly in summer to enjoy facilities, great food, and the beautiful patio giving on the lake. Great place for a drink at sunset.

Fairmont always offers amazing, over expectations, customer service. Fairmont will exceed your expectations.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hi MarySL00 - thank you for your kind comments. We appreciate you taking the time to review your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again! Sincerely, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

After a series of unfortunate incidents on our first night, I regrettably wrote a less than stellar review, but it turned out I wrote in haste. The staff were absolutely incredibly, and they went above and beyond to fix things for us. And they certainly did. We had a wonderful time for the rest of our stay, and we will definitely be back. Thank you!!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hi popnpep77 - thank you for taking the time to write a second review. We are so happy that we were able to turn your experience around for the better. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future. Kind regards, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge
Ashtonfield, NSW, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

Staff were extremely friendly from the arrival onwards. Room service, housekeeping, restaurant service all friendly and accommodating. We stayed in a cabin opposite lake, very peaceful surroundings, at night took sometime to get used to the different noises. Not having a vehicle meant relying on a taxi into Jasper which meant @ $40.00 return fare. The low snowfall restricted in what activities you could do.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
FairmontJPL, Manager at Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Hi Skwoods64, thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We're happy to hear you enjoyed your time and look forward to welcoming you back soon! There are lots of activities and things to do come summer time! :) Kind regards, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge
Pauatahanui, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

First night we arrived, there was 9 private parties, and we really struggled to get dinner. We stayed in a pretty average hotel room, which really needed some maintaince. got two single beds, not what was booked. Its a very nice location but its 5km from town.. Restraunts are *very* expensive.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Hello mrpackethead, thank you for your comments. We're very sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay. We did have a very busy weekend with Christmas parties, but this is no excuse for our other guests to have a less than wonderful stay with us. We do hope we are able to see you back again in the future to give you the "Grand Canadian Lodge Experience" we strive for. Sincerely, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

Such a nice escape from Edmonton! Easy drive, beautiful mountains, clean air! Lodge is beautiful and it feels like home there! It feels like a country side house. Don't expect anything fancy, it's wilderness there. I can imagine how expensive it is to run business there! Try bison burger, Tuna salad, carrot cake, and honey brown beer. Don't forget to have a coffee with Baileys! Enjoy ur stay!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
FairmontJPL, Manager at Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Hello Cherritta, thank you for taking the time to review your stay. We're glad to hear you enjoyed your visit and dining experience as well. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back again soon. Sincerely, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge