“Beautiful but poor service”

Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Jasper
GreenLeadersSilver level
Melbourne, Australia
“Beautiful but poor service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

Unfortunately we arrive late at night and were very tired. We checked into our room (type of log cabin) it was along way from reception, but they had free shuttles back and forth. Our room was OK, the blinds were broken and the street light shone in our room all night. The room was also in a good need of a dust. We didn't complain as we were only spending 2 nights here and were going to be out and about most of the time. We also organised a wake up call and didn't get it! There seemed to be a lot of staff training going on. Breakfast was nearly a disaster so many server's and empty tables, but a line up for 15 minutes to get one. I don't mind people learning, but when you pay big dollars to stay somewhere I expect better service.
The Hotel is quite a long way from town, you have can get the shuttle bus from the hotel, but it doesn't come regular enough, so a taxi could be a better option.
On the other hand the grounds and lake of the hotel are spectacular! Sitting out having a wine on the balcony over looking the lake at the restaurant was so beautiful. Elks were also roaming around on the grounds. If the room and service were better this place could be so much better.

Room Tip: Try and get a room over looking the Lake.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
FairmontJPL, Manager at Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Hi craigeelinks, thanks for your comments. We're happy you had the chance to relax and enjoy the beautiful scenery - there's nothing like having a glass of wine overlooking beautiful Lac Beauvert. However, we would like to apologize for the lack of service you encountered while you were here. You're correct - May is the start of our summer season meaning we have many new colleagues starting and learning their roles. That said, it is no excuse for poor service and for that we are very sorry. We do hope that you will visit us again in the future and that we have a chance to wow you with our service. Sincerely, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (825)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Mississauga
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

Right on the heels of a three day stay at Chateau Lake Louise, my wife and I stayed at Jasper Park Lodge. I thought things were going to improve when I got a text from a customer service rep a few days prior wishing to make my stay enjoyable, we spoke and he blocked a room that he saidi was his personal favourite. What he failed to mention was that there was major excavation going on literally right outside our front door all three days with a front end loader going back and forth on metal slats that has never been lubricated, making it impossible for us to either work or sleep. The pillows were woefully lacking and when I requested replacements, there was a big issue. Our friends staying in the lodge went without hot water twice. While the grounds are beautiful, overall, a big disappointment meaning the end of our stay at Fairmont hotels.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Hi GeoffL, thank you for your comments. We're disappointed that despite all of our efforts and communication you were unhappy with your stay and that our onsite Guest Relations Manager was unable to resolve your room issues while you were here. We do strive to make our guests as comfortable as possible and apologize that we were unable to do this during your stay. Hopefully you will give us and Fairmont Hotels & Resorts another chance to impress you and give you the experience you deserve. Sincerely, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge

Travelers are raving about these Jasper hotels

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

We began our recent trip to the Canadian Rockies at the Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge and it couldn't have started any better. The property is meticulously manicured and the colorful Adirondack chairs are the perfect spot to sit and enjoy the beautiful mountain scenery.
The staff was top-notch, especially the front desk and the concierge. Dinner at Cavell's was wonderful, but a bit too expensive. Overall, a great experience.

Room Tip: Book a room in the lodge, on the 2nd floor facing the lake. They have private balconies!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
FairmontJPL, Manager at Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Hi 60763Lovetotravel, We’re happy to hear you enjoyed the start to your trip through the Canadian Rockies! Summertime in Jasper is truly unbeatable and we’re glad you got to experience it. We hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip and we look forward to seeing you again soon. Sincerely, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge
Dix Hills, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

This is one of those unique properties with a magnificent, rustic setting. The staff were all exceptional but the real star here is the lakeside setting, comfortable log cabin rooms offering terraces or decks. Though not lakeside, we had a nice view of Lake Beaufort from our deck. The only negative was the extremely small and tight bathroom. Despite this, we loved our two night stay at this truly special hotel!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
FairmontJPL, Manager at Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Thank you for your comments JSeils. We couldn’t agree more that Lac Beauvert is truly a stunning setting. We hope to see you again soon! Kind regards, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge
Edmonton, AB
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

I decided to check out the spa at the Jasper Park Lodge since it was my first visit to the property since the spa had opened. I have experienced quite few of the Fairmont spas, the Willow Stream spa and the regular hotel spas, from all over North America do I was curious how this one would rate.

The entrance didn't really blow me away. Small, sterile and only two chairs. I checked in and was given the typical medical release form to sign. But the next form I was shown kind of surprised me...the receptionist presented me with my bill! I hadn't even had my massage yet! She said 'your massage is this amount, 10% off for being a president's club member, plus a 15% service fee which is added on by the provider and here is the spot to write the tip amount in, so sign this and we will bill it to your room'.
Ummmm, shouldn't I be able to decide on how much I want to tip my massage therapist based on how good of a job she did!?!?!
Knowing that the therapist would see how much of a tip I have before she even met me, I felt obligated, no maybe even bullied a bit, to give a very generous tip just so I got a half decent massage. Never, ever was put in this awkward position before.

Next I was shown the spa area. The tour was very robotic. 'Turn left, turn right. Make sure you only go down the pink hallway...how is your day?'. As I was sitting in the lounge, I could here the girl use the exact tour speech on ever guest she showed around, same timing and everything.
My massage therapist came and got me and took me into the 'spirit' room. I have to say that she was a really amazing therapist! She had amazing techniques and skill. The only bad point of the massage was the distracting noise coming from the ceiling. You could hear people walking around and the ceiling kept creaking the whole time. Not that relaxing when you are trying enjoy your massage.
At the end of the massage she recommended a couple products and even a different modality to try. As she escorted me to the change room, I asked if their Kerstin Florian line still had the shampoo and condition which I fell in love with at the spa at the Empress Hotel. She said that they did and she would have them ready for me at the front.
After getting dressed in the change room which is shared by the guests using the pool as well...and their screaming children (I have young children myself and they know how to act in public) I went back to reception. The small reception area was full of people...there was only nine guests waiting to be checked in/out but it was tight. I had time so I was prepared to wait to be looked after. After about five minutes, the receptionist came over and gave me my bill, 'Okay here is your receipt and you are good to go, okay bye'. Yep pretty much just got shooed out of there to make more room!
I was fully prepared to spend $200 on products but I guess they had no time for me...or my money.
All in all, the massage therapist was amazing but the other service and atmosphere definitely was lacking. Not the Royal Service that Fairmont prides itself on.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Bastion123 - thank you for sharing your comments. We're happy to hear that you enjoyed your massage but are terribly disappointed to hear that the rest of your spa experience wasn't as wonderful. The idea behind presenting the bill after the treatment is so that our guests are able to enjoy their treatment, relax in the lounge or pool, and leave without having to worry about payment. This is a standard practice for Fairmont and Willow Stream Spas and we apologize that this wasn't communicated to you when you arrived. We also apologize for not taking the time to get you your purchases and that you felt rushed out of the spa - this is certainly never our intention. Your comments are very valuable to us and we have shared them with our Spa Team. Again, thank you for your review. Sincerely, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

This was a very nice hotel and we had a really nice cabin style room which was first rate. The grounds of the hotel are fabulous overlooking the lake, a wonderful golf course that i longed to play sadly not enough time. However the experience of this hotel was tarnished when we went for evening meal overlooking the swimming pool and lake. We ordered wine a the pleasant young man who was serving us dribbled some of the wine onto a iron style table, I did not really bother about that until the wine dripped through the holes of the iron work onto my white trousers red wine white trousers I think you get the picture, I pointed this out and was given some club soda to clean my trousers this just made them wet through. The waiter was very apologetic, however when my meal finally arrive it was cold from the get go I ate because it was getting late and I was hungry I pointed out the failing to the waiter he said he would tell the kitchen, but not allowance was reflected in our bill when asked to pay for all of this poor response to our problems felt let down by what is a quality hotel chain. We are booked into three more Fairmont hotels I trust things will improve, shame about the rant cos the hotel is great

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michael W
FairmontJPL, Manager at Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear bentwhit - please accept our sincere apologies for the issues you experienced during your meal. We hope that the rest of your journey through our Rocky Mountain properties is outstanding, and that we have a chance to welcome you back. Sincerely, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge
Crown Point, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

For a Fairmont property, this should not be considered 5 star, but is still a very beautiful place to stay. These are "cabin" rooms, very roomy, with fireplace and additional sitting room, but probably not what most 5 star travelers are expecting. The cabins surround the lake and you are truly in touch with nature. We ate at the Emerald Lake dining room, al fresco and it was very nice. Driving around and parking here is rather tricky as the roads are all one-way. Service was great though, but for the cost, I'm not sure it was worth it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Hi Murphy5708, Thank you for your comments. We’re glad you enjoyed your experience with us and then beauty that surrounds our property. We do offer complimentary Valet parking to help with the tricky parking the next time that you’re here. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Kind regards, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge