“Great Service, Great Food Not So Great rooms”

Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Jasper
GreenLeadersSilver level
Edmonton, Canada
“Great Service, Great Food Not So Great rooms”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

Beautiful location, food was excellent, all hotel staff friendly, polite and helpful. Can't say enough about how well we were treated and fed. Unfortunately the rooms are not up to the same standard as everything else. Not really that clean (beds and towels were clean though), thread bare carpets, broken chairs, very low water pressure in taps and toilet, threads of dust hanging from ceiling, television was beside the bed; not at the end or in the sitting area - very odd. At least the bed was comfortable and shower was hot. This hotel is in need of some renovations if they are going to continue to charge five star hotel prices.

Room Tip: Bring your bathing suit and skates. Nice pool and skating area. You can rent skates if you do not h...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Donna K
FairmontJPL, Manager at Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Hi Donna K - thank you for your comments. We're so happy to hear that enjoyed the service you received and the dining you experienced during your stay with us. We are however very disappointed to hear about the state of your room and sincerely apologize. If you would be so kind as to send your name and room number to jasperparklodge@fairmont.com we will look into these room specific issues. Sincerely, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (825)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful location excellent service and great attentive staff.
We attended the Veuve Clicquot in the snow event for the weekend it was a fantastic event. The evening outdoor fire pit was a lot of fun.
We saw a large herd of mule deer, but no other wild life our room had a great view of the lake.
The Lodge is dog friendly so you can bring your best friend.
I gave the room a 4 because all the bedding is synthetic and I would expect down at this type of hotel.

• Stayed March 2013
FairmontJPL, Manager at Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Hello Dutchdecor, What a great package to choose for your vacation to Jasper. We’re glad you got to see some wildlife and experience such a fabulous event, in a very stunning setting. We look forward to welcoming you - and maybe your furry friend - again soon! Kind regards, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

I am writing this review on behalf of my parents who received a gift cert. from their kids to enjoy a night at the JPL on New Years Eve. When my parents wanted to go sit in front of the big beautiful fireplace they were asked if they had a pet, because apparently that is the pet designated area!! Are you kidding me!! At no time were my parents ever told that the JPL was a pet friendly hotel. I'm sorry but 4 star and pet accomodations don't go together unless you are describing a kennel. My parents were told they would get priority check in because of my dad being a Presidents Club card holder, they didn't get into the room until 45 minutes past regular check in. Then when they did get into the room it wasn't clean, curtains falling off rod, room basically disorderly. My mom tried to handle this situation herself with numerous emails and phone call messages left to management. When someone finally did get back to her 2 weeks later, they credited my parents the $15 for the movie they rented to make up for the shortcomings of the hotel! How very generous of JPL!! I am absolutely disgusted with the treament that my parents received on a night that cost close to $600! Will never recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank lbuilt
Hi Ibuilt - The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge takes pride in providing comfortable environments for all of our guests with facilities and services for their family and travel needs. We have been a pet friendly hotel for many years and we regret that you were not aware, and more importantly that it had such a significant impact for your parents. To ensure everyone’s comfort we have designated areas that are and are not pet friendly. As you know we have been in direct contact with your parents since their stay in December and are sorry to hear that they continue to be dissatisfied with their experience. Sincerely, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge

Travelers are raving about these Jasper hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

Stayed at the Jasper Park Lodge the first weekend in March. It was a nice room (requested the deluxe double/double room which basically has 2 double beds. It's your standard hotel room but had a few extra touches. There's a keurig for making coffee. They also had chocolate dipped strawberries and cake waiting for us (didn't request this) so that was a nice surprise. The room needed a little updating but was clean and large. Very quiet rooms as well. Never heard our neighbours. The pool was fantastic! Went with our two kids 12 and 14 and they loved it. It's large and deep on the one end (2 1/2 metres) but shallow on the other side. It was an outside heated pool which was basically like an outdoor hot tub!!! You also never had to walk in the cold to get to the pool as the entrance was inside and you just swam out. We loved it. Never ate in the restaurant. Went into town after skiing and ordered pizza hut. All in all we would stay again. It's a little pricey, but we got gift certificates for Jasper Park Lodge at costco and saved $60.00 on our room.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank migamouse
Hi migamouse, Thank you for your comment. Our pool is definitely one of our biggest attractions – especially in the Winter! The steam helps keep the air above the water warm too, so you can enjoy it even when it’s snowing or well below zero degrees. We sincerely hope to see you again soon, next time let us know you’re coming on Facebook: /FairmontJasperParkLodge or Twitter: @FairmontJPL so we can welcome you. Kind regards, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge
MIA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

My partner and I visited this hotel in Feb. 2013, great hotel far from town you will need either a car or if you take a cab will cost you about $ 40. Round trip; this is the only thing didn’t like about it, but if you go they have various local restaurants, bars, two supermarkets and two liquor store. The hotel is great they have a heated outdoor pool that is awesome; great view of the lake a gym a spa everything you need for a relaxing vacation. If you walk around the hotel property you may see some deer which are wonderful creature and very friendly. We also saw near the hotel mountains sheep and elk in town, so lots of wild life to see, we didn’t eat are their restaurant we order room service; food at restaurant was a bit expensive and the cheapest bottle of wine was about $ 50.00. For a fee of $ 50. A night they give us an upgrade to a great villa they call it suite right on the lake walking distance from main lobby; on the summer the fee may be different, villa was huge with a separately seating area with sleeping sofa, dining area and fire place. Bedroom was big too, bed very comfortable, they also have a microwave and little fridge. The bathroom was also very big with a separately Jacuzzi, shower and two sink. Free Wi-Fi with presidents club card, they don't have gold level.

Room Tip: We were upgrade (us$50 x night) to ROOM # 518, lake view we didn't see the lake it was frozen bu...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank REYNOL
Hello REYNOL – We’re happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge. Wildlife is abundant here in the winter time, different from some summer animals you might see. We look forward to welcoming you back to our resort very soon. Kind regards, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

They have done some good upgrades to the main lodge. The Spa area and steamroom are very nice. Reastaurants are expnsive but have good food and service (just not enough of either for the price). A modest dinner for 2 adults 1 childen was over $110 CND.
The suites are on the rough side. Chipped-up bathroom tiles. Toilet leaked. Poorly places shelf in shower caused a brused elbow. Noise next door due to very thin walls. No spare outlets to charge devices near beds. Really poor wifi, we couldn't connect at all weekend on any of our three devices -even after calling the office. Many suites have a the parking lot very far away.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank danamcarthur
alberta
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

I've stayed at the JPL many times now. I'm not sure what my problem is, but I seem to have this strange addiction to Fairmont hotels. They have some of the most beautiful hotel properties in Canada, and the JPL is no exception. However, the rooms frequently fail to live up to the standards of the exteriors and the public areas. From previous stays at the older hotels like JPL, Chateau Lake Louise, Royal York, Hotel Vancouver, Hotel MacDonald, etc., I should know by now that the accommodations always disappoint me. Why do I keep going back for more punishment?

The JPL's setting can't be beat. It is absolutely gorgeous. The scenery, the animals, the atmosphere and the various buildings all combine to make the lodge look extremely appealing. This past weekend, we booked a junior lakeview suite. The suites are really nice on the outside and have great views. From the moment I stepped inside, I was disappointed. The last time I stayed in one of those particular units was about 6 years earlier - the interiors looked old 6 years ago and I doubt they've been updated since then. The carpet looked dirty and the sofa was horrible. The heating system was noisy and we could feel cold air blowing in under the door. The furniture was supposed to look rustic, but to me it just looked old and dirty. We could not even sit on the sofa it was so uncomfortable and worn. We had to sit in hard armchairs. The beds were OK, no complaints there. The bathroom was ancient. The bathtub looked very, very old, as did the countertop, sink, etc. There was no fan in the bathroom and the lighting was very dim.

The housekeeping services left something to be desired. We went out in the morning and came back to the cabin at about 3:30 p.m. and the room still had not been made up. Housekeeping did not appear until 4:30 p.m. When we arrived there was a basket with coffees in it (4 regular and 2 decaf). I can only drink decaf and drank both of them the first morning. When housekeeping made up the room that day, they replenished the coffee supply with regular coffees and not decaf so that the next morning I could not have a coffee. They also did not replenish the supply of cream in the fridge, so even if they had given me more decaf, there would not have been cream for the coffee anyway.

As stated, the property itself is beautiful, but I am noticing some deterioration. The roads and the sidewalks are in terrible shape all over the property. On one spot near our cabin, the road was so lumpy it scraped the bottom of our car. I noticed the sidewalks sinking and heaving all over the grounds. There is a significant risk of falling in many places, especially if walking the grounds in the dark.

There is absolutely no incentive to dine at the JPL unless you are into fine dining and price is no object. The very few dining options are extremely expensive, and it only encouraged us to go elsewhere. On the morning we checked out, we thought we would go for breakfast in the lodge and enjoy the view. When we saw that bacon and eggs were $24, we decided to go elsewhere.

The cost of our room was $379/night (low season rate). We got a small discount due to CAA membership. In high season, the rates are significantly more. If I had paid high season rates for that room, I would likely have refused the room and asked for my money back and stayed elsewhere. Even though we only paid low season rates, I was still tempted to ask for my money back.

I think I am starting to put an end to my Fairmont addiction. I've been ripped off too many times. This last stay really rubbed me the wrong way. After paying nearly $1,000 for two nights, I expected a much better experience than I got. If I ever feel inclined to stay at the JPL again, I will stay in one of the lowest-rate hotel rooms and use the savings to enhance my stay in other ways.

If my room at the JPL had been priced more reasonably, I likely would have rated it a "3" rather than a "2". However, because the rates were way too high for what I got, I gave it a "2".

Room Tip: Book a low-cost room and use the savings to do other things such as spa services or fine dining. Th...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple