“AWESOME EXPERIENCE”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Calgary, Canada
“AWESOME EXPERIENCE”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We arrived mid afternoon on January 8, 2013.......such an easy check in, pull up out front and we were handed our room keys in a welcome package, given a map of the area and told how to get to our cottage. After arriving to our cottage and being VERY impressed with the room, we toured the property and I was so impressed with the staff we met, all were very pleasant and wanted to know where we were from, how we liked the property and wished a joyful stay. After a trip into Jasper to do some shopping, eating and visiting we arrived back to unwind and relax for the evening in the pool. After a dip in the pool under the stars with a light snowfall we retired to our room for the evening. Not so great, but only mother nature's fault was the mass accumulation of snow we woke up to. We left fairly early and was very impressed to have more than one staff member looking up road conditions for us. We are planning a late Spring/early Summer weekend visit back here, can't wait to see how beautiful the grounds are without that white icky stuff on the ground! LOL Thank you to all the Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge employees for the excellent service and making our stay very memorable!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank KimTetley
FairmontJPL, Manager at Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Thank you for sharing your "awesome experience" with us KimTetley, we're always happy to hear that our guests are well taken care of while they're here. Next time, come visit in the summer - July, August and September are beautiful in Jasper, with a very small chance of seeing any of the white stuff. See you again soon, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (888)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed January 4, 2013

My sister and I took my dad to celebrate his 70th birthday. We stayed in a cabin on the lake. When we got to our room there was a beautiful plate of chocolate dipped strawberries and truffles for the birthday boy.
Although we had 2 problems with our room, they fixed them immediatley. 1. the light in the shower was burnt out and very dark. 2. the t.v was not working.
We then received a phone call to ensure that the problems were fixed and we were satisfied. Great service.
The outdoor pool was WONDERFULL!!! We swam several times a day. If this is all you do, it is well worth it.
We had breakfast at the Cavell's. I had the eggs benedict. All the breakfast food could have been hotter. The toast was stone cold upon arrival.
One after we went to the lobby bar to relax. I had the Pyramid coffee, delish!!
We sat and watched them assembling the life size gingerbread house for Christmas. Really cool.
Would love to go back again!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Hello sunshinesX3, thanks for your review. It sounds like you had a lovely time in Jasper and we're so happy to hear that your dad chose to spend his 70th birthday with us! The holidays are a great time to visit, always so much to see and do. Looking forward to seeing you and your family back again soon. Sincerely, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

Found this hotel to be pretty poor, we stayed in Jasper for a couple of night whilst on a tour of the west coast of Canada, we stayed in a couple of the fairmont hotels and this was the worst. We arrived late in the evening and ended up being given what we thought was a pretty poor room, every item of furniture was a different style, it was shabby and very dated, we asked for a room change but the alternative was even worse! Pool was not working and even kayaking rental was ridiculously priced. Not recommended, carry on to Lake Louise it's much nicer :)

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Extremesportathlete
FairmontJPL, Manager at Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thank you Jamie_Cheshire1 for your review. We apologize that your room was not what you were expecting and that our outdoor heated pool was not in working order while you were here. As you were here in the summer, we hope you were able to take advantage of some of our other great onsite activities such as biking and hiking or that you had a chance to explore the Tramway, Maligne Canyon and Spirit Island. There is so much to do in Jasper and we always encourage our guests to see as much of it as they can while they're here. Sincerely, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge
Fairview, Canada
Reviewed January 2, 2013

My wife, infant son, and I had this hotel booked for the finale of our Christmas vacation. We previously occupied the Chateau Jasper for the first couple nights because of our budget then we wanted something more exquisite. We arrived approximately 4PM as to their stated time to check in. However, the room was not ready yet and we had to wait over an our at the lounging area in the lobby. They did give me a free pressed coffee, very tasty, I don't know if they told the waiter to not charge me or if the waiter was just writing it off because it was only a coffee I ordered. When we finally got our 600 dollar plus a night lake view room, the room was cold. I thought they were getting our room ready? They have hot water heating, so of course it takes a while for the registers to fill room with heat. The fireplace needs maintenance because I can light a fire in seconds, but the fireplace has flute issues and does not get enough oxygen to properly get the flame blazing. I figured it out, the door needs to be slightly unlatched for more air, which is not good for safety reasons, a burning log could potentially roll outside. I also got tired of phoning for kindling, so I had my own axe and chopped my own wood.
When I phoned for service, it was always superb. All the departments came to our door for any reason promptly. All the service people were very friendly and helpful. Plus the manager did call me and make sure everything was ok. I also forgot my gloves at the pool one day and they got them back to me quickly, which was fantastic.
The room is beautiful with all the amenities, a larger refrigerator would be nice since it is a far away room and it is nice to supply groceries.
There is no lake view, because it is winter.
Parking needs to be extended because of the distance from the main lobby, I really would not want my vehicle valet parked, I would want my vehicle close to my room. So JPL you have to do something with the silly environmental excuse you give.
I know if there was more competition in the Mountain Park area and government would ease up on the regulations, it would bring the price down on the JPL. There needs to be more privatization in the Mountain Park, so I blame government more than anything.
The JPL is a beautiful place, but it is over priced for what you get. I don't think I will stay there again unless I get a good deal.
One other thing, the restaurant in the lobby is very nice, but again very overpriced. I ordered their 23 dollar hamburger and it was over cooked and the bun was not good. I was so hungry I finished it. I complained about it and they did take it off the bill for me, so that was fair. However, I don't know how you can justify having a 23 dollar burger. For goodness sakes, for that price, the burger should be the size of the plate.

Room Tip: Try to get a discount or a great price because it is just not worth it otherwise.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Lee S
Hi Lee S, thank you for your review. Your comments are valuble to us and I will be sure to share them with our teams. Your fireplace experience is concerning and we definitely want to look into any possible safety issues. If you could contact us directly at jasperparklodge@fairmont.com with your reservation information, we will have this problem taken care of. Sincerely, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge
edmonton, alberta
Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

First things first, I love Jasper and I have always loved Jasper Park Lodge. My daughter had her wedding there in 2001 and it was magical. My husband & I stayed for a few days around New Year for a few days of r & r, rented one of the small rooms for $740.00 (inc. tax). I knew the rooms were small so that was no surprise but for the price I am surprised how run down the room was. We had a queen size bed which sagged in the middle so that we kept rolling into each other resulting in a really poor night's sleep. The small table had a broken leg so it was very uneven and rocked back & forth. The top of the dresser that holds the TV really needs to be repaired or revarnished as it was worn and had ring marks from glasses.

We were out during the day and when we returned late in the afternoon our room had not been cleaned. A hotel employee came fairly quickly and cleaned our bathroom but did not vacumn or wash the very dirty floor just inside the door. I also resent having to pay $12.95 for wifi considering the pricy rooms.

I ate in the Cavell restaurant and was very impressed. The meal was somewhat pricy but worth it & the service was outstanding.

I am so hoping that management does some improving as I really want to return at some time in the future to one of the most beautiful places on earth

Stayed December 2012
2 Thank albertaannie_9
albertaannie_9 - thank you for taking the time to share your comments and we apologize that your experience with us was anything less than outstanding. The state of your guest room is concerning, especially in reference to your bed as we have recently installed new matresses in our rooms. If you would like to contact us directly at jasperparklodge@fairmont.com with your name and stay dates, we can look into your guest room issues further. We certainly hope to see you back again soon. Sincerely, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We went to look around the 'JPL' on New Year's Eve 2012 in the afternoon (we were not staying at the hotel). We wanted a small snack and perhaps a drink at this lovely place, so what a better place and setting than the beautiful Emerald Patio & Lounge. However, we had to sit at a dirty table, which was passed by 3 times by a staff member and never cleaned. Finally after about 10 minutes, we had a server come by and give us 2 menus for 3 people and said she would be back. I asked her to clean the table. She came back to the table beside us, spent a long time there with 2 people and ignored us with the need of 3rd menu and cleaning the table. After no service and still a dirty table (cups, etc.from prior patrons), 15 minutes later we left. I agree with one of the prior reviews on this restaurant with respect to dress, children, etc. I can't give it a review because I never got served! I have never stayed here and now decided I likely never will, if this is the service a Fairmont hotel offers.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank jasygirl
Hi jasygirl - thank you for your comments. Please accept our sincere apologies for the lack of service you received during your visit to the Emerald Lounge earlier this week. We value our restaurant guests - whether or not they're staying at the hotel - and we certainly didn't provide you with the level of service we strive for. I will be sure to pass your comments on and hopefully you choose to visit us again so we can welcome you back with the warm, engaging service you deserve. Sincerely, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge

Travelers are raving about these Jasper hotels

Orpington, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 31, 2012

The Hotel is situated on a lake and not like any other Fairmont Hotels. There are a small number of rooms in the main building but all the others are in Bungalow type accomoadtion away from the main Hotel. Ours was quite close to the main building but it could be a problem at -30, if you were too far from it. For the first two days of our stay it was not like staying in a real Hotel as we did not use the facilities.The services were a bit sloppy, like they did not top up the tea and coffee in the rooms and we had to request extra which were quickly delivered.We spent a very enjoyable hour in a astological talk, but alas it was too cold to go outside to use the telescope. Overall impression a nice hotel but just not at the top of its game and would be stunning in the summer.

Room Tip: Get a room that fronts on to the lake.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple