“Great for what it is”

Astoria Hotel
Ranked #17 of 17 Hotels in Jasper
“Great for what it is”
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Admittedly, the decor is very 1980's, the bathrooms are small and the hotel needs a few updates. However, the price is right, especially amid the high priced selections in Jasper. If you are looking for a clean place to rest your head with friendly staff it is perfect. There was a fantastic place to have a pint before bed, the De'd Dog Bar and Grill, and a great place for breakfast, Papa George's. The two establishments book-end the Astoria with adjoining doors so you don't even have to go outside (which was nice in -34 weather). Also great was that you can park right in front if you are only staying the night because the 2 hour only parking goes into effect at 9 am and checkout is 11 am. It looked popular with the ski crowd and empties out fairly early.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ali M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Stayed here for three nights for skiing. Upon arriving, I was greeted by a most friendly fella, welcoming me to the Astoria Hotel and Jasper. He was very knowledgeable and let me know about the snow reports, weather conditions and Hotel amenities. On entering my room, I was greeted by a beautiful, not overly large rustic room done in a mountain theme. The bed was comfortable and the room was clean. I had a beautiful view of the mountains on the main street side. The lobby, restaurant and hotel had the charm of the inn in the "Bob Newhart" show. If you are looking for a Fairmont style Hotel this isn't it ... but if you are looking for a "Bob Newhart" type Inn with incredibly friendly warm folk this is your place!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Andre D
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Stayed for a weekend birthday trip in March, and based my decision on price. The hotel itself is wonderful, creeky, and rustic-- but if you're an Ikea fan or love all things modern, don't stay here! The location to restaurants and downtown shopping is about a 10-15 minute walk, but there are great joining pubs and shops. The beds are quite firm, and the bathrooms are small, but if you need a cheap place to stay because you intend to blow your money outdoors in beautiful Jasper... stay here.

Room Tip: There is no elevator.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CDerms13
Stony Plain, Canada
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights. Got an upgrade when we checked in. Got a mountain viewGreat location. Within walking distance of downtown core. Comfortable bed but the room service was mediocre. Glasses and coffee cups were not cleaned on a daily basis and bed was not made. De'd Dog Bar was hopping on Friday night with mostly locals.

Room Tip: Mountain view rooms are at the front and are noisier due to the train tracks across the road.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marcel L
England
Reviewed October 28, 2013

My partner and I had a drink at the Astoria Hotel's bar (Sure called D'ed Dog).
It was very spacious had sport on tv (common in Canada), a pool table, a couple of bars and lots of tables to sit at.
As my partner's a real ale drinker he asked for some advice and was very pleased with the recommended beer, the beer I chose had run out so the bar tender went and got more.
Seemed like a mix of locals and hotel residents who frequented the bar, didnt eat here (due to other Tripadvisor comments) but did see 2 guys having burgers - looked ok!
generally an ok bar but the other 2 in Jasper had a better atmosphere (see my other reviews)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Canmore, Canada
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I recently stayed here for three nights... Largely because this was the cheapest location that I could find... There are many reasons for this...

1) The dead bolt to my room did not work.
2) My room bordered the gift shop roof next door and there was no lock on the window either. On top of which, the screen on the window was held in place with one screw. I am not saying that anyone would ever go one the roof to potentially break in but I do have a lot of expensive camera equipment that I carry around. That thought was always on my mind.
3) There was mold in the mini fridge... I am a huge beer fan and I didn't even want to put my domestic stuff in there...
4) The bathroom barely has enough room for you to step in and out of the shower. I am 6'5... It felt like a prison cell to be honest.
5) I work in the hospitality industry myself and I have never come across this... I booked a king room only to discover a "king bed" is actually two single beds pushed together... After some cool down time I am still irritated by this.

The only redeeming quality about this place is the staff. Every single time I saw someone working housekeeping or front desk, they were always happy and friendly. Would I stay here again? Only if I was traveling on a shoestring budget like I was. In all honestly, I should have gone else where and paid the additional $10 a night...

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
8 Thank Ryan K

Travelers are raving about these Jasper hotels