“Good Value”
Review of Astoria Hotel

Astoria Hotel
Ranked #17 of 17 Hotels in Jasper
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Stayed for a weekend birthday trip in March, and based my decision on price. The hotel itself is wonderful, creeky, and rustic-- but if you're an Ikea fan or love all things modern, don't stay here! The location to restaurants and downtown shopping is about a 10-15 minute walk, but there are great joining pubs and shops. The beds are quite firm, and the bathrooms are small, but if you need a cheap place to stay because you intend to blow your money outdoors in beautiful Jasper... stay here.

Room Tip: There is no elevator.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CDerms13

Reviewed November 3, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights. Got an upgrade when we checked in. Got a mountain viewGreat location. Within walking distance of downtown core. Comfortable bed but the room service was mediocre. Glasses and coffee cups were not cleaned on a daily basis and bed was not made. De'd Dog Bar was hopping on Friday night with mostly locals.

Room Tip: Mountain view rooms are at the front and are noisier due to the train tracks across the road.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marcel L
Reviewed October 28, 2013

My partner and I had a drink at the Astoria Hotel's bar (Sure called D'ed Dog).
It was very spacious had sport on tv (common in Canada), a pool table, a couple of bars and lots of tables to sit at.
As my partner's a real ale drinker he asked for some advice and was very pleased with the recommended beer, the beer I chose had run out so the bar tender went and got more.
Seemed like a mix of locals and hotel residents who frequented the bar, didnt eat here (due to other Tripadvisor comments) but did see 2 guys having burgers - looked ok!
generally an ok bar but the other 2 in Jasper had a better atmosphere (see my other reviews)

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I recently stayed here for three nights... Largely because this was the cheapest location that I could find... There are many reasons for this...

1) The dead bolt to my room did not work.
2) My room bordered the gift shop roof next door and there was no lock on the window either. On top of which, the screen on the window was held in place with one screw. I am not saying that anyone would ever go one the roof to potentially break in but I do have a lot of expensive camera equipment that I carry around. That thought was always on my mind.
3) There was mold in the mini fridge... I am a huge beer fan and I didn't even want to put my domestic stuff in there...
4) The bathroom barely has enough room for you to step in and out of the shower. I am 6'5... It felt like a prison cell to be honest.
5) I work in the hospitality industry myself and I have never come across this... I booked a king room only to discover a "king bed" is actually two single beds pushed together... After some cool down time I am still irritated by this.

The only redeeming quality about this place is the staff. Every single time I saw someone working housekeeping or front desk, they were always happy and friendly. Would I stay here again? Only if I was traveling on a shoestring budget like I was. In all honestly, I should have gone else where and paid the additional $10 a night...

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
8  Thank Ryan K
Reviewed October 9, 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Don M
Reviewed September 25, 2013

The room was very small but clean. The remote for the TV did not work even after management tried to get it to work. The staff was very friendly and helpful in answering questions.The hotel is on the second floor of a retail building. Parking is in the public lot across the street so we had to carry our things from the parking lot. The lot is not very far however.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JOAN K
Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

Despite some of the reviews we found the room ok. Yes it is small but the bed was comfy and it was nice and clean. The thing that annoyed me was the air con on the building opposite. The window is only single glazed and the ac from the building could be quite loud at night. This needs to be fixed. The Astoria is expensive for what you get but that's due to lack of competition for hotels. I'd try a B&B next time. In fact I'm leaving Jasper a day early as its not a very nice resort and after Banff this is a very poor second.

• Stayed: September 2013