“Bad location and bad service”
Review of HI-Jasper

HI-Jasper
Ranked #9 of 20 Specialty Lodging in Jasper
“Bad location and bad service”
Reviewed July 22, 2011

Definitely not where you should stay while visiting Jasper. The location is very inconvenient, very far from town, and the taxis up here are quite expensive. There are a few shuttles available, but they are not very frequent and stop at 5:30. Also, the staff was, in general, not very helpful nor friendly. Finally, the dorms are very crowded and the sheets offered to us are of questionnable cleanliness. All in all, you're better staying at a bed and breakfast, even if it costs a bit more.

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank elami_12

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed April 25, 2011

We were on our budget honeymoon traveling across Canada by train, staying in some hostels (we have a membership). It was just after Christmas and there were a lot people there to go skiing (there was not a lot of snow when we were there).

I had made a mistake on my booking and had not booked 2 of the 3 nights that we wanted to stay there. And we wanted a room for a couple. So we got a room the first night (it was very basic and very small with no place for clothes) and the second night we had to sleep in the dorm - OK for one night but we are older and didn't want to do that the next night. The hostel staff did all they could and got us a room at a hostel in town which was amazing and perfect for us. If we had known about it, we would have stayed there the whole time but they were also booked up on the other days.

The hostel deinitely needs an overhaul and maybe a location change to cut down on the GHG's being burned to get to and from there to Jasper. The staff however, were great!

You cannot get there on your own if you don't have a car, something that we weren't too happy about but there is a reliable shuttle that runs in the morning and the evening to Jasper (about 20 min trip?)
I used the internet for free but there was only one computer so I had to get up early.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Queenstown, New Zealand
Reviewed February 19, 2011

We were here for Haloween, and we had a great time. The hostel was walm, welcoming and lovely and cosy.

The large bed dorms aren't as bad as they sound, they are all separated into 8 bed dorms, but sound doesn't travel at all. We couln't hear another person, even though the place was full!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Terrace, Canada
Reviewed December 6, 2010

I stayed at HI Jasper for one night over last weekend. I had so much fun. The kitchen/ common room was a great place to meet people. There was a good crew of people staying at HI Jasper while I was there and we all had a few beers and shared some laughs before taking a cab in to the town to the Legion - which to my surprise was tones of fun!! The hostel is out of town but the hostel offers a shuttle during the day.. and a taxi is only $15 so if you can get a few people together it's really not too bad. The one down fall was that the internet was really up and down.. but overall I would totally recommend this hostel to anyone - and Jasper is a fun chilled out little ski town! and I'm sure I'll be back!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 27, 2010

My friends and I stayed here for a week in December. As everyone knows December is freezing in the Rockies therefore I expected the hostel to be quiet, and it was.
Anyone going to Jasper, I recommend arriving between 9am to 5pm because unfortunately access to this hostel is near impossible.
We arrived at 7am and everything was closed, lucky for us I asked a nice man who was opening his store shortly if I could use his phone to call for a taxi.
I also recommend stocking up on food before you arrive because the shuttle bus runs twice a day and the last one leaves Jasper at 5pm back to the hostel.

The staff were very friendly, lovely.
The whole dorm is shared between 40 or so people though. For me this wasn't a problem as it was a quiet time of the year and I had my friends with me.
For someone who is travelling alone and likes their own personal space, I would go else where.
I guess during the busy summer months, it would get very cramped but off season is fine.

The dorm was very clean, as were the bathrooms.

If you are a late night person or an early morning person, make sure you have a torch because the lights are switched off all through the dorm at 11 so you can't see a thing. Was rather funny getting into the wrong bed I must say.
Haha but I have no complaints, I thought the hostel was cute, clean and friendly.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jess_McMilan
Georgia
Reviewed September 28, 2009

If I have enough time to look for a place, I would not have booked at H.I. jasper. The location was bad. I could have stayed in a place close to Jasper downtown and could have saved a lot more money. Transportation to H.I. is expensive. You could take the taxi. There is a shuttle bus but it only goes until 5.30pm. When you are already in H.I. you dont have anything else to do. The place is also scary. You share the dormitory with so many people that you could not sleep anymore because too many conversations, too many unpacking travellers early in the morning. Just dotnt stay here. you would rather book in a fancier hotel and save more becouse of the cost of the taxi. hope this helps. coz if only somebody told me...

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank adventurefanatic1

Travelers are raving about these Jasper hotels

Australia
Reviewed August 19, 2009

While I am fairly new to hostel accommodation I found HI Jasper disappointing. Being late to arrive meant that firstly navigating the unlit carpark area treacherous. The reception was not overly friendly but we got there in the end. The wi-fi provided worked for a little while until the cable was 'accidently unplugged'.
The laundry and bathroom facilities were ok but the kitchen was a little disappointing; there seemed to be very little available in cutlery and crockery and with a full house the place was a bit of a mess.
Overall the atmosphere of HI Jasper was a little edgy; there were certainly small groups enjoying each others company but the place made me wary and I certainly made sure all my valuables were safely stowed away in the drawers under my bed. Oh, and the cheap rubber mattresses sure do not make for a satisfying sleep - especially if you are not used to sharing a huge dorm room with around 40 or 50 others.
There aren't too many alternatives for cheap accommodation in Jasper but I would not recommend this place to stay.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends