“Felt Uncomfortable”

Ranked #15 of 20 Specialty Lodging in Jasper
British Columbia
“Felt Uncomfortable”
Reviewed November 9, 2007

We went to see if the hostel had any private rooms available. They did not (on that day). We are Hostelling International members, and, to be honest, were not impressed with the little we experienced at the front desk. The guy there made some comment about the female he just spoke with on the phone (inner part of her clothing). We were not impressed and made me feel uncomfortable. He said they had a mixed dorm behind the desk with beds available, but that was it. The place was old, dishevelled, and isolated away from Jasper itself. As lifetime Hostelling Hnternational members, we were not impressed with what we saw. The bedsheet strewn across the front desk made my skin crawl.

We hear they may be building a new hostel in Jasper itself. We'll check it out when this happens.

Stayed September 2007
3 Thank Rusty K

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Dublin
Reviewed August 23, 2007

I travelled up to the HI Jasper after spending time in HI hostels in British Columbia, Banff and Lake Louise and was surprised at the difference in quality in Jasper. In the female dorm the beds are squashed together with hardly any space between beds, any bed you were on you could reach out and touch the person next to you. There were only 3 ladies toilets and 3 ladies showers.

This is without a doubt the worst hostel I have stayed in. I moved to the HI Athabasca Falls after staying just one night, and even though it was a wilderness hostel with no running water it was much better than the HI Jasper.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Cramped accomodation
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Jasper hotels

Kettering, England
Reviewed April 16, 2005

My girlfriend and I stayed here whilst touring Canada last year. We arrived for a four night stay having travelled up from HI Banff. We were very disappointed. We've stayed in quite a few YHA's between us in both Canada and Australia, without doubt this is the worst I've ever seen.

We had a "private" room which was unfortunately next to the main enterance, I say unfortunately as the curtains were ill fitting and completely see through! This gave everybody a good idea of what we were doing at any given moment!

We checked out after a night to find a B and B, I have to say the staff were fine and helpful, just a shame about the hostel.

• Stayed July 2004
8 Thank Nat0084
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Reviewed December 8, 2004

Hi, I loved my experience at the hostel. It was very cozy and had a community atmosphere to it. I really liked that it had a nice big fireplace and lots of room to lounge about. Having dishes and toaster and fridge and all that already there was a surprise to me and a defininte bonus. The best factor was it only cost $25 a night. I plan to go again in February and I will definatly stay there again!

8 Thank AmandaR306