Review Highlights

A great experience

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
Sue G
Cincinnati, Ohio

All reviews hour tour rain gear hiking boots deluxe tour hour walk dog george athabasca glacier the bus interesting features experienced guide extra gear guide phil highlight of our trip guided walk cramp ons waterproof pants once in a lifetime
Reviewed 1 week ago

We signed up for the Ice Cubed Tour online before leaving on our trip. We arrived to the glacier on an unseasonably cold morning in August. I realize it's a glacier, but even the guides said it was unusually cold (2degC)

They had water pants, jackets, gloves for everyone who needed them. They also offered beanies. Because of the weather, they provided us all with crampons. Although about 15-20 people showed up, we broke into smaller groups. Our group had 8, which was perfect.

The guide was able to give us first hand knowledge of how the glacier behaves and the changes it has experienced. He was able to answer everyone's questions about the ice. We learned a lot! We were lucky enough to see a far away part of the glacial snow falling as well.

I enjoyed this walk immensely and am very happy we took the time to stop and explore this beautiful glacier before it's gone.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We did the Afternoon Icewalk on Sept 17th. There had been quite a bit of fresh snow recently, so our walk was on a beautiful, white glacier. The weather ranged from snow blowing for a brief time to mostly cloudy and then partly sunny, all in the time period of 3 hours. We love everything about the experience! As "older" folks (56 and 59), this was fairly strenuous for us, although the younger 10 folks in the group didn't seem to think so. Each time we were ready to say we needed a break, the guide stopped for a talk. We are so glad we tried this and experienced the glacier in this awesome way.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Everyone at the icewalks was nice. Peter is funny and friendly. Our guide, Tamara, is very knowledgable and informative. I learnt a lot about the glacier from this. The 3 hours tour feels short for me. The walk wasn't tiring. I was there at the end of September and it snowed days before I arrived. Luckily, the weather on the day I went was nice and not that cold (around 1°). I don't think the price is high. Highly recommended.

They told you to meet in the toe of the glacier and I wasn't sure where that was and the phone signal doesn't work there at all once you enter highway 93 (not sure if it's just me) but the meeting point is the opposite to the big building and there is a parking there. I used gps and entered the Latitude and Longitude coordinates and it works just fine.

Reviewed October 4, 2018

I originally wanted to book the 3hr Ice Cubed walk, but it was sold out. So we ended up on the 6hr Icewalk Deluxe. And I am so glad we did! The hike took us to the most interesting parts of the glacier, parts that we wouldn't have been able to get to on the shorter hike. Our guide Peter was so knowledgeable & funny. It was one of the best parts of our Rockies trip! FYI...they have equipment you can use in case you are missing anything, making it super convenient!

Reviewed October 3, 2018 via mobile

My husband & I booked this in advance & the only date available in our timeframe was the icewalk in the afternoon (3 hrs). I wanted to do the 5 hr one but it worked out just fine. The 3 hour trip takes you to a little more than half way up the glacier. The 5 hour trip takes you all the way to the end of the top of the mountain. It’s best to do this adventure with a guide because the crevices and glaciers can get deep and dangerous if you were to fall in. They provide spikes which helped a lot. The guide provides a lot of great information. Lots of walking on uneven surfaces as well but manageable. At times, you also have to jump over little areas. It gets cold up on the glacier so bring layers. Overall, it was a cool experience to say that we walked on a glacier.

Reviewed October 2, 2018

This was a wonderful way to experience the Athabasca Glacier. Our guide Kevin was awesome-he was knowledgeable, funny, and interesting. If you're reasonably fit, I highly recommend this over the crazy bus tour up to the glacier.

Reviewed September 30, 2018

The glacier walk was the highlight of our trip. How often or accessible is it to walk on a glacier? This tour was purchased at the Visitor Information Center at Jasper National Park. My friend and I was warmly welcomed at our arrival at the foot bridge at the toe of the glacier by the Ice Walks team. You sign a waiver first. Then you get fitted out with crampons, windproof pants and windproof jacket, inclusive in the tour price. If you are already wearing this gear, then no need to use this. The host was Graham, a local Canadian who was an experienced mountaineer and heli-skier. He took turns to chat with each of us as we walked up the glacier and back down again. Graham was a friendly and knowledgeable host with a great sense of humor, made us all feel safe the entire tour. This tour was an educational experience and fun at the same time. Graham lead us into the crevasses to see inside the glacier, peered into some deep caves and showed us an ice tunnel. Got to touch and taste glacier ice! There were plenty of photo opportunities along the way. Hiking pace was fine as Graham ensured everybody was together. Highly recommend to go on a sunny day as it was still a bit cold and windy on the glacier when I went. Cannot imagine how much colder it would be when it is cloudy/rainy. Halfway down the glacier on the way back it was funny to wave to some of the tourist buses passing us by - please don't take the bus! The bus tourists only get to walk around in a small roped off section on the glacier for a couple minutes. If you are reasonably fit and can do easy hikes then definitely go on the ice walk! Thanks Graham for making this such a memorable and fun time!

Reviewed September 25, 2018

The tour offers to lend hiking boots, spikes, waterproof pants and hats in you come unprepared! This was a stellar 3 hour guided hike where it gets super cold the further you get to the glacier. One amazing experience. See it before its gone!

Reviewed September 25, 2018

This is the best way to see the glacier. Our guide Carly was amazing, enthusiastic & knowledgable. We had a group of 10. The walk itself is gentle and can be done by most people. We enjoyed every minute and every step. It’s not the cheap option but worth every “penny or dime”.
Don’t take the bus this is an experience you’ll never forget.

Reviewed September 18, 2018 via mobile

Booked this prior to leaving the UK, we met our guide in the parking lot at the base of the glacier where we were kitted out with thermal gear (we had our own) and cramp on’s, after a gentle climb you arrive at the toe of the glacier, the pace is easy and relaxed and very informative and you get some great photos.
Perfectly doable by most people this was a fantastic experience and the only way to see the glacier in all it’s glory.