“Okay but depends on which room you get” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sunwapta Falls Rocky Mountain Lodge

Canada
“Okay but depends on which room you get”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

Checked in and was given a room at the back of the two level building. The windows was broken and would not close. The room itself was nothing special and very dark due to nearby trees. Went back to front and asked for a different room and was given a much nicer room in a cabin.

Staff at the restaurant was great. Food was nothing special but not horrible of course I wasn't expecting a foodie experience in the middle of nowhere.

Location was good for my use as I was doing some hiking and photography.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank caymancaribbeansun
mcorlett, Director of Sales at Sunwapta Falls Rocky Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Hi caymancaribbeansun!

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review and for leaving insights for future guests. Readers, I'd like to take this opportunity to expand on a few points.

ROOMS
We have cabin style accommodation and more standard lodge accommodation. You can find lots of pictures on our Facebook page in the 'candid photos' album. This is an album where I took pictures with a regular camera and posted them for people to see very raw, unprofessional photos of the accommodations we offer.

The rooms are basic. Despite our high ratings on TripAdvisor, we are a 2 star hotel. Stars are about amenities, not cleanliness or service. Because of our privileged, very privileged, wilderness location, we are very limited in amenities we can offer.

HOW TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT ROOM
In choosing a room that is RIGHT for you, it's best to call or email us directly. You can always book via your favourite channel, whether that be an online travel agent, traditional travel agent, or on our website.

When you call us, you get US. Not a call centre. Not an anonymous person that will not be there when you check in. The person answering the phone works at Sunwapta. It might be me you speak with in the closed season, for example.

The reason I mention this, is you will get a very committed answers to your questions. Our idea is to help you have the best holiday in Jasper possible. If we're the right property for you, then we want to make sure you are in the right room type!

I personally like the cabin style rooms that face the woods. There are a few with King Beds and Fireplaces, and I think this conveys the feeling of our surrounding really well. That said, I personally enjoy the back of the lodge where caymancaribbeansun had the first room.

It is very quiet back there, and you sort of feel removed from the busyness of the world. The lodge rooms are fantastic for groups of people travelling together too, as you can have several rooms side by side, all with a large shared sundeck.

You can see how YOUR individual needs or desires might be quite different. By calling us or emailing us, we'll be able to address your personal preferences better. That said, there are similarities all guests considering staying at Sunwapta should share!

WHY STAY AT SUNWAPTA?
Caymancaribbeansun has the key point: location. For CCS, location was about hiking and photography. But location is key to whether we're right for YOU or not.

Sunwapta is 53km south of down town Jasper on HWY 93, known as the Icefields Parkway. For those who don't know, this Parkway is a sightseeing tourist highway with no industrial traffic permitted aside from tourism oriented industry and deliveries to us or the Columbia Icefields (where the glacier tours are, 50km south of us).

The Parkway is the lifeline to all the AWESOME things to do and see in the National Mountain Parks. From glaciers like the nearby Athabasca Glacier and the awe-inspiring Edith Cavell, to lakes like our local Honeymoon, Buck and Osprey, to water falls like our own Sunwapta Falls (all 3 sets), Tangle Falls and Athabasca Falls, to Mountain Peaks, hikes like the Sunwapta Bluff, Lower Falls, Big Bend, Edith Cavell, Parker Ridge etc, to WILDLIFE: bears, elk, moose, wolves, foxes, big horn sheep, goats, deer, and much much more…. the PARKWAY is the way to the best the Park has to offer!

WHAT LOCATION MEANS
Being located right on that Parkway puts us in a great spot for sights, hikes and activities. But there is more than that. It means that you are staying in the middle of Canadian Wilderness.

This is an important part of the experience, as it means there is no cell phone reception, no WIFI (TBA on what we are trying to work out with satellite providers), no internet, and no phone in your room. It means having some very peaceful, undistracted time to spend with loved ones and Nature… which is why you want to come to Jasper.

WHAT BEING SMALL LIKE US MEANS
In the world of hotels, we are small. We are 53 rooms. This intimate type of experience lets us spend some very committed time and attention to your experience in Jasper National Park. You will be hard pressed to find service like Sunwapta has to offer. It is the most highly ranked aspect of Sunwapta across all review sites.

Our staff will help make custom sightseeing plans for each day you have in Jasper. Further, we have insights we love to share, and the ability to make reservations for any of the areas activities.

In 2014 with the opening of the glass bottomed SkyWalk just 40km away from us, we are currently working with Brewster on having shuttles to their hottest new attraction for example. You can go whitewater rafting from our front doors, and we can arrange anything from helicopter tours, sightseeing tours, Tramway, Malign Boat Cruise, Columbia Icefields, guided fishing, guided hiking and more.

EVENING
Caymancaribbeansun had a lacklustre dining experience which is too bad. The dining is actually very surprising for the majority of our guests. If you are a foodie, you will enjoy our regionally inspired menu in our intimate heritage lodge dining room. Don’t be fooled by our rustic location, the service and food is of exceptional quality.

Take a look at our Endless Chain Ridge Dining Room listing on TripAdvisor. Also take a peak at the Sunwapta Restaurant (our day restaurant). You can find menus for all our food and beverage on our website’s restaurant page.

Please keep in mind, you will need reservations for evening dining which starts at 6:30pm. Email or call us: info@sunwapta.com / 1-888-828-5777. You do not need to be a guest to eat with us!

Thanks again Caymancaribbeansun! We’re glad we were the right location for your main goals in Jasper!

Sunwapta Falls Rocky Mountain Lodge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Czech first
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

We had a very enjoyable one night stay on our drive between Lake Louise and Jasper. Sunwapta is very remote, but that was the appeal for us. We had been in the hustle and bustle of Banff/Lake Louise and wanted something different. Sunwapta didn't disappoint. We arrived in the early afternoon and the reception staff was very helpful in suggesting sightseeing opportunities.

Our room was spacious, attractively furnished and very comfortable. The room had a flat screen TV and abundant hot water. As other reviewers have observed, Sunwapta does not have cell phone service. That being said, I needed to contact a tour company in Jasper and the Sunwapta staff let me use their phone. We also did not have wi-fi internet in our room, but I was able to connect in the reception area.

We had the best breakfast of our vacation at Sunwapta. The food was all excellent and there was a lot of it. We boxed what we couldn't eat and that was our lunch. I heartily recommend the Canadian bacon.

Sunwapta Falls are only a short walk away and I recommend you consider walking, especially during the busy season. The parking lot at the Falls is not overly large.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
HI Boy Scout!

Thanks so much for the great review and for taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community!

Readers, I just left a marathon response covering most points of Sunwapta, but there are a few little points I'd like to expand on here, that Boy Scout has very directly pointed out:

AMENITIES and LOCATION
We are in the wilderness and I really like how Boy Scout has given a contrast with the hustle and bustle of Banff. The nice thing about being 50km away from the closest town is that come 5pm, no matter how busy our location has been during the day, it starts to get very quiet. The evenings at Sunwapta can easily be called peaceful. A short walk to the falls and some exquisite dining is a great way to end a day of sightseeing.

We have no cell reception and no phones in the rooms. However, we're always happy to help you with free local calls from our front desk. Also, we have calling cards available if you need to get in touch with people back home.

INTERNET
We currently have satellite internet. It's the ONLY internet we can get. We've distributed it around the property but it's just not robust enough to keep up with demand. I've just finished inquiries with our local telecom company about the possibility of getting high speed internet to our location. I'm sorry to say it will not be happening. That said, we will be trying to increase the number of satellite receivers we have for 2014 as we realize that it is a basic requirement for most travellers these days.

The problem with satellite internet is its wildly unpredictable and weather dependent. I know it's hard for most of us to understand how a place can be without internet, but I can assure you, we are one example of a place where it's very difficult!

Thanks again Boy Scout! We're glad we provided the escape you were anticipating!

All the best,

Cleveland, OH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

Not quite sure how to rate this place. Compared to what? There is really nothing else in this area of the beautiful Icefields Parkway. Yes, the internet is not great, and no, they do not have flat screen TV's. Yes, it is expensive. No, there is no nightlife. The cabin we stayed in was clean and functional. The young seasonal staff was knowledgable about the area and always helpful. The restaurant is above average, considering its monopoly status. Every time I visit the Canadian Rockies, I am floored by the prices. Dolllar for dollar, it may be the most expensive place I've ever been....and I have traveled the world. You just have to get over it and realize that most of these Parkway facilities have to pay for their entire existence over a 5 (maybe) 6 month period.

So, this all leaves me giving the place a 4. What's to complain about?

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Hi IndiansFan!

I want to break my usual candour of responding for the benefit of the TripAdvisor community for a moment and just say how much I appreciate your steely, sober review of Sunwapta.

In a very direct way you've painted quite a realistic picture of our property, understood the primary challenge of businesses like ours, and helped people with expectations for what is provided in the seasonal mountain parks in Canada.

So, thank you! I really enjoyed reading your review. I am certainly glad you enjoyed the stay too!

Readers, I've written about value in the Rockies previously and will summarize here, with reference to IndiansFan:

The value of staying at Sunwapta is more than the room, the amenities we have (or likely do not). It's about the lucky privilege we all have to be HERE, in the pristine, breathtaking heart of one of the world's most incredible Natural Parks. On top of that, we're small, intimate, and really love doing what we do, being here in the Park, and that comes across in the passion we have for making sure you have an exceptional time in Jasper ... Ok, and the food is great!

Thanks Again IndiansFan!

Matt
Izmir, Turkey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

Maybe worst hotel experience, ever had... Nowhere is covering Wifi... Room is dirty and full of insects... Really cold... And costs as Hilton 5*... (I gave 1* just for good service in Restaurant) (You may only stay if you should to have a camp in Banff)

Room Tip: Stay in your own tent...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Xtrm
Hi Xtrim,

I'm sorry you had a negative experience at Sunwapta. I'm not sure what is meant by the final comment as we are not in Banff, and it's unclear what Banff has to do with our location. I hope your review was meant for Sunwapta!

Readers, instead of responding with the fact that our housekeeping has won awards for decades running for their housekeeping practices and that while there are insects in the Rockies, it's highly uncommon for a room to be 'full of insects', I'd rather go to a much more satisfying and fuller response.

I think the best way I can help put your mind at rest is to let you know about our GUARANTEE. If for ANY reason at check in you are unsatisfied with Sunwapta, whether it be the location, the amenities, the room, or just your feeling, we'll refund your money and help you find somewhere else to stay. We don't care how you booked, or if you paid another company like Expedia or traditional travel agent to stay here. We'll make it right, and get you to a place more suitable for you!

I know it seems uncommon. Our cancellation period is 48hrs so why this guarantee? We want people coming to Jasper to remember their time in Jasper with fondness for many many years to come. If that means staying somewhere else, we're happy to help!

Every year I probably move a handful of guests to other hotels for this reason. The most common reason being they didn't really know we were located 53km south of downtown Jasper, so they were expecting a way different experience. I moved two or three guests this year because we didn't have amenities they were looking for. It's always our pleasure to do this. Always.

If you have any questions about us, or any other property, I highly recommend calling in advance, or emailing. This way you can get the straight story right from us, instead of information from another party that might not have all the details right. You can always book by whatever booking channel you prefer. It's free to call or email: 1-888-828-5777 / info@sunwapta.com.

Once again Xtrim, sorry to hear you might have had a negative stay here. I certainly wish I would have met you at the time. It's easy for me to turn a negative experience around at the time!

All the best,

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

We stayed there from October 12 to 14th. Wonderful gift shop, friendly people and a very accommodating staff made this a wonderful short vacation. The prices for dinner in the restaurant were a little more pricey than we were expecting but it was okay considering the quality of the food that was served. They were more than accommodating when it came to my food allergies. The wonderful room with a king size bed and a beautiful wood burning stone fireplace made this a relaxing and carefree place to stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
kent
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

The lodge is lovely. A clean and comfy room. The food is good, you have to book but it is quite expensive. There's no hair dryer or iron in the room you have to get one from reception. Internet hit and miss because of the location but no telephone reception whatsoever. Still for all it's little faults it's still a lovely place and I would recommend it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
mcorlett, Director of Sales at Sunwapta Falls Rocky Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Hi Decaugnanny!

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. It's always great to get insights from seasoned travelers and Senior Contributors!

Readers, let me run with a couple of points Decaugnanny has written about!

FOOD
We have 3 distinct services: breakfast, lunch/deli, and fine dining. Breakfast and Fine Dining are essentially for our hotel guests only. You do not require reservations for breakfast, and we have a separate breakfast room for hotel guests so that busses and road traffic don't interfere.

The deli/lunch service is high quality, and set up for volume. Most of our guests are out sightseeing, and so are guests from other hotels. We are a popular lunch stop for sightseers and tour busses alike. This is a self-serve scenario with some short order available.

The dining room, which is what I think Decaugnanny is referring to, is an intimate dining room with 13 tables, views of the Endless Chain Ridge, and does indeed require advance reservations. While it is fine dining, the dress code is casual.

Most people reserve at check in, but we always recommend advance reservations. You can make your reservations in advance through our front desk: 1-888-828-5777 or info@sunwapta.com.

As for price, the best way to determine for yourself is to check our current menu (which will change slightly seasonally and for 2014). You can find our menus for all services with pricing on the restaurant page of our website!

LOCATION and AMENITIES:
It's best to see us as a wilderness hotel. Being on the fringe of Canadian Wilderness means that some services are just not available. These include cell reception and high speed internet. It's best to expect that we provide NO internet. We provide it via Satellite, which quite frankly is wildly unpredictable. We no longer advertise that we offer internet for this reason.

Hair Driers and Irons are available by request, but in 2014 we will have hair dryers in each room. The reason we haven't done so in the past is the wattage draw is quite high and risks crashing our generators! Sounds a little ironic, hair dryers being so small, but we've found a good solution so we can provide them for 2014.

BENEFITS!
The flip side of these drawbacks is that really, being located 53km south of the town of Jasper provides some incredible benefits! The Sunwapta Falls are short stroll away, trails surround the lodge, and it is very quiet and peaceful in the evenings.

A little known fact, which we will be emphasizing in fall 2014, is that in the evenings, Sunwapta's night sky is almost purely dark... which means the stars are SOMETHING TO BEHOLD! Equally as inspiring as the mountains that surround us, the night sky will fill you with wonder. Please keep up to date on our Dark Sky offerings in 2014 on our Facebook page in the new year.

With no high speed internet, no cell phone reception, and no real distractions that you have in a small town like Jasper, Sunwapta provides an ideal experience to unplug from the pace of your usual life, and really have the time to meaningfully connect with nature and the loved ones you are travelling with.

Being out here with just 50 rooms also means that we have lots of time to spend with you personally to help you plan your time in the Jasper area. Aside from sightseeing advice, and daily self-drive itineraries, we can book any activity you might want to do in Jasper right from our front desk. This leaves you more time to enjoy and less time to try to organize!

While we are closed for 2013, we are happy to help you plan your Jasper vacation or getaways for 2014. Feel free to call or email us! 1-888-828-5777 / info@sunwapta.com.

Thanks again Decaugnanny! All the best for the winter and we sure hope to see you again!

Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

We spent 2 nights at Sunwapta. The accommodation was clean and comfortable but somewhat small compared with other hotels we had stayed in during our 3 weeks in Canada. The food in the restaurant was good with plenty of choice. The staff were helpful and friendly. Despite reports to the contrary we found the wifi worked well considering the remote location. Overall a good experience.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hi Tony P!

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave your review! Thanks too for choosing to stay with us on your Jasper adventure.

Readers, I will comment on just a couple of points:

WIFI
Tony P was lucky. To be very straightforward, it's best to assume we have no service. We are working on a couple of strategies for 2014, and maybe we'll be able to provide something that is more contemporary with today's demands. To date, our location does not permit us to provide DSL or Cable internet, only Satellite, which is the root of our struggle there!

ROOM SIZE:
All of our rooms are 1 bedroom hotel rooms. They vary in size with the Rocky Mountain Double being the most spacious at about 255sq ft; the Hideaway is 215 sq ft; the Lodge rooms 210 sq ft.

Most guests don't spend a lot of time in the rooms. While they are comfortable and updates are done each year, Mother Nature is much more of an attraction than we are :)

The best way to make sure you get the room that is best for you is to call us, or email us. You can book any method you like, but we'd be happy to answer all your questions so you know what to expect! 1-888-828-5777 / info@sunwapta.com

Thanks again Tony! We're glad you found good value with us!