“An attentive, friendly Rockies experience like no other” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sunwapta Falls Rocky Mountain Lodge

Vancouver, Canada
“An attentive, friendly Rockies experience like no other”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Located right on the (only) road between Lake Louise and Jasper, about 45 minutes south of Jasper townsite, the Sunwapta Falls Resort has been a favourite of mine ever since I started stopping there for coffee when I ran organized tours in the Canadian Rockies. This two-night stay was the first time I have actually spent time there overnight and I am happy to say it did not disappoint.

The cabins are well appointed, each with a real wood-burning fireplace and quasi-kitchenette (no stove). It appeared to me that all the suites had a door to an adjoining suite so if you're looking for accommodation for a large family, this locale is an excellent choice.

The staff is very friendly and attentive to your needs. There was a minor issue with my coffee carafe. I reported the issue as I went into the restaurant for breakfast and before I had finished breakfast I was told that the issue was resolved.

The evening dinner restaurant doubles as a large coffee shop during the day but the ambiance in the lodge itself suits itself well to both roles. A few white tablecloths, good quality cutlery and dishes transforms the space well. The fireplace adds much to the feel of the lodge.

The fare offered at the restaurant is of excellent quality and exceeded my (high) expectations. The menu choices ranged from a couple of vegetarian options, chicken and beef culminating with the exotic. I thoroughly enjoyed the tenderloin of bison and wapiti (elk). The elk stew looked really good too. While the average price for a main course on the menu was just over $20.00, for such exotic options, be prepared to drop a pretty penny. The tenderloins dish was over $50.00 while the stew was $32.00. A little above the norm but well worth every penny if you're the adventurous type, gastronomically speaking.

Roughly 1 kilometre (1/2 mile) down the side road are the Sunwapta Falls. This resort has no swimming pool nor lakeside vista but this apparent lack is well made-up by a stroll to the very impressive falls. Hiking is an excellent day-time activity with well-marked and well-maintained Parks Canada trails. Some of the hikes can be challenging but many are not difficult at all.

It is isolated- once darkness falls, the number of cars on the highway drops to about 5 or 6 per hour- yet it has all the comforts of home.

My overall experience at the resort was excellent. The rooms are well appointed and my bed rated a 10/10 in comfort. I would have been very happy with my experience were this resort a hotel in town but considering that the nearest commercial activity is 45 minutes up the road in Jasper makes it all the more compelling.

In short, I yearn for places like Sunwapta Falls Resort and I'd return there in heart-beat. If you're looking for a place to get away from it all, plan on a sojourn here.

Room Tip: The cabins have character. Book one back from the road.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
mcorlett, Director of Sales at Sunwapta Falls Rocky Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Hi Brian!

Well... we are speechless! This is a very intriguing, compelling, thoughtful and precise review from an industry professional. We are so happy to hear that we did not disappoint, and that we were able to impress.

Readers, I just have to qualify this review and my response a little bit. We have many tour directors and coach drivers stop during the daytime with their clients for shopping, food, and washrooms. These professionals have such a great deal of experience, like Brian, that getting a review is... well... a little nail biting and also very meaningful to us!

Thanks Brian, it's so rare that we are able to have so many of the professional tour guides and coach drivers that have stopped in the daytime, come and actually stay for pleasure in the hotel as our guests. We feel honoured you would choose us, and once again, thank you for sharing your insights and succinct review with the TripAdvisor community.

An excellent addition to the perspectives and voices that have commented on what it's like to stay at Sunwapta. I hope readers find good value in your comments and that we can have you come back and stay again in 2014!

Readers if there is any element of Brian's review you would like to know more about, feel free to email me directly: matthew@sunwapta.com.

Thanks again Brian, all the best for your winter,

Sunwapta Falls Rocky Mountain Lodge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Czech first
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

This was our fourth time staying at Sunwapta Falls Lodge. Our small cabin was always clean, hot shower working, and just a short walk to the Sunwapta Fall for hiking. The lodge's restaurant offers one of the best breakfast buffet and supper in the Jasper area. Highly recommended if you don't mind the secluded camp-like location, which is 55 km south of Jasper, about a 45 minutes drive.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Frankfurt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

The Lodge is just in walking distance to the Sunwapta Falls at Jasper National Park, alongside Icefields Parkway. The receptionists are very friendly and helpful, rooms are @ basic standard and clean and tidy. So all in all suffizient for a stay. Due to it's location the Lodge is easy to find and during nighttime there's not much traffic passing by. So it's very calm.

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
mcorlett, Director of Sales at Sunwapta Falls Rocky Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Hello ThePunchBowl!

I like your TripAdvisor moniker! Thanks very much for choosing to stay at Sunwapta, and for writing your impressions and observations for the TripAdvisor community!

For the readers... a few comments!

THE FALLS
It's so easy to talk about the hotel, the food, the service, but how often do we all forget one of the most incredible aspects of our location: THE SUNWAPTA FALLS!

There are 3 sets, but the first is easily accessible from any room. Just a 10 minute walk (a little less) brings you to the main falls with the iconic bear pillar in the centre of the thundering waters. We can help you with directions to the lower sets of falls (a 20 minute easy grade trail from main falls).

LOCATION AND NIGHT TIME
Readers, you probably already know we are located directly on the side of Highway 93, the Icefield's Parkway. An important fact about the Parkway is that come nighttime virtually nobody is on it! It is not a transport truck or industrial highway (they are not permitted on it except to deliver supplies or good to us and the Columbia Icefields). It is a vacationing sightseer highway, and quite frankly it is the MAIN attraction of Banff and Jasper!

Like you, everyone else that travels the Parkway starts checking into their hotels around 4 or 5pm, and are getting ready for dinner and rest. Even in peak summer the Parkway is very quiet from 8pm on.

STARS AND STARS AND... MORE STARS!
Night time is quiet, yes, but here's a little piece of information for you star gazing dreamers: Sunwapta at night has night skies that are 1 degree away from the darkest skies you can EVER have! That means you’ll see stars here you may never have seen before.

A short walk toward the falls and all the minimal light pollution from the Lodge disappears, and what comes out of the dark sky is nothing short of breathtaking! You can see the Milky Way, and traditional constellations that normally appear as the only stars in the sky show themselves to be wrapped in a cosmic blanket planets and stars.

We also have an observation deck on the top floor of our main lodge. At this time of year, if the skies are clear, heading up to the top deck with a hot chocolate as early as 9PM will give you an amazing starry experience with just a little light pollution from the rooms and property. Ask our front desk how to get there!

For 2014 we will be developing our dark sky experiences... Stay tuned on our Facebook page for programs and events!

Thanks again PunchBowl!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

It was a super friendly place, clean and comfortable with a lot if attractions around; however, They need a restaurant with pub food or a lunch menu not just a limited and very expensive selection. Two high end for a lodge. Need games in the bar area...not enough privacy on deck - should. Not say its a "private" deck. All in all, great place!

• Stayed September 2013
Hi JanSobo4343!

Thanks for taking the time to leave your review. I really enjoyed it because you've brought forward more ways we can clarify the experience of Sunwapta to potential bookers, and we value your suggestions to expand on the experiences available here.

Readers, let me address some of the points Jan has provided:

DECKS
Readers, Jan is right. The private deck is not private from other people's eyes! We have these decks on all of our Rocky Mountain Doubles and some of our Hideaway rooms. To be clear, the 'private' nature of the deck is that it is for your use only. But certainly people will be able to see you while you sit on your deck! Great point Jan! Thank you!

EVENING RESTAURANT
From 6:30pm onward we offer exceptional evening dining. While it is a regionally inspired fine dining menu, it is casual dress. We do require reservations as it's an intimate 13 table room. You can make reservations through our front desk: 1-888-828-5777 / info@sunwapta.com.

For the most objective interpretation of price, please visit our website where you will find the evening dining menu with pricing available. This gives you a chance to determine if that's the experience you'd like for dinner or not.

Keep in mind, you are always more than welcome to come in and have soup and salad or dessert and wine! You don't need to have a 3 course meal to enjoy the ambience and service. If you are a light eater, take a peak at the ‘Comfort Food For the Traveller’ section. Also, portions are generous, and many are full after the bread and a starter or two!

ALTERNATIVES
As you are our valued guests at Sunwapta, we will always strive to provide something that works for you! Let me speak to alternatives for a minute.

During the day until 6pm we do have our deli available with fresh baked goods, sandwiches and short order (more like pub food!). The Deli actually remains open for take away, but the short order is finished at 6pm so our kitchen can prepare for the evening dining service.

While the short order stops at 6pm, we can ALWAYS make some sandwiches and provide our famous in-house AAA NY steak stew, chilli or one of our in-house soups to go with them. The deli is usually stocked with our daily fresh baked goods past 6pm as well. In short, feel free to ask and we'll do our best to make sure we have something for you!

You can also find our deli menu and pricing on our website. Please keep in mind that there are some changes to menus and while we do our best to update the site, you may find SLIGHT changes from the time you look at the menu online to the time you arrive.

GAMES
Jan, I like the idea of having some more activity on property. Games are fun idea! I'm going to bring up your idea at our next meeting to see if we could work something like that into the experience here, or at least have them and make them available.

Once again, thanks for your input… That you’ve taken the time out to provide us with your insights has been great for us. I'm very glad that you enjoyed staying here too!

All the best,

Bedford UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night a bit by mistake as I thought it was further south on the Icefield Parkway than it actually is. From reading trip advisor ratings my friend & I were expecting something amazing. The wifi problem wasn't a problem as the website said it wasn't available. However, we were a bit disappointed that the room wasn't as special as we'd been led to expect. The bathroom in particular was tired with paint spots on the floor & a stained ceiling. My friend got caught out by the strong shower jet & ended up with soaked night clothes ( shed foolishly left them on the floor!). It was a bit strange having the washbasin in the room making a private wash impossible with both in the room. The beds, were very comfortable & the temperature easily adjusted. I have stayed in better accommodation & paid less but I guess the lodge's location does attract a premium. We ate in the restaurant in the evening & was pleased the chef was ale to adjust my meal to leave out a particular ingredient to which I am very allergic. We only had one course & it was a bit pricey as was the breakfast the following morning. $25 approx for (albeit tasty) granola & fruit, one bowl Kellogg's cornflakes, a fruit salad & one tea/coffee - I took my own milk. We sat by the window & down by our feet the window ledge was really grubby with old crumbs & food debris. I really wanted to be wowed by the lodge but sadly I wasn't , just felt it was average & over priced -sorry. To finish on a positive note, without exception, the staff were friendly & very helpful, thank you.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
mcorlett, Director of Sales at Sunwapta Falls Rocky Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
HI Mattrhimum!

Thanks for taking the time to write a thoughtful review of your stay. It provides us with the perfect opportunity to address pre-arrival expectations and further clarify our property for potential future guests. I'll also address some of the concerns and let downs you had during your stay.

For readers in the TripAdvisor community unfamiliar with my writing style, please note there are headings in BOLD that allow you to skip to the most relevant topic for you!

LOCATION:
We're clear on our site that we are located 53km south of downtown Jasper. We hope that our travel partners, like online travel agents and brick and mortar travel agents, have that information correct as well. Sometimes we can't control mistakes on their end. Please let us know if you were misinformed about our location!

TRIPADVISOR RATINGS AND EXPECTATIONS
I am sorry to hear your expectations were not met. I think that maybe you were set up with expectations that our property cannot match, and this is in part due to our high ranking on TripAdvisor. To help future guests basing there selection on our TripAdvisor ranking, let me clarify a few items.

Many of our TripAdvisor reviews are extremely positive, and this creates sort of a halo effect in a way. I've noticed there's been a tendency for some to see the high ranking and assume it equates with some of their expectations being satisfied automatically.

Our most common examples: "4 circles! The accommodation must be 4 star!" We've had several guests check in that have thought this. We're 2 star. "If it's so highly rated, it must be fantastic!" And we are, but on person’s ‘fantastic’ is not for everyone, and we do not meet every expectation. What do we meet?

WHAT TO EXPECT
TripAdvisor ranks us as 4 circles. You will see that our highest ranking is for Service. Location is second along with cleanliness and sleep comfort. Rooms come in last. I'd love to change that, and we work at it every year within the tight restrictions we have and the means available to us.

Despite the fact that upgrades happen every year and that more are scheduled, reader please keep in mind: we are 2 star and you are not going to find luxurious accommodation here. I can understand how that assumption can be made from our TripAdvisor ranking. We do provide clean and comfortable accommodation!

Hotel assessments in terms of star ratings are mostly based on room and property amenities. For example: are there phones in rooms, how many night tables, lamps, data ports, air conditioning, amenities like spa, pool, hot tub etc.

As far as our rooms go, we are very clear about what we offer. In addition, we have plenty of photographs that I personally took and posted on TripAdvisor and on our Facebook page (album called 'candid photos'). These clearly show the rooms without any of the 'magic' you might have with professional photography.

SO WHY IS SUNWAPTA 4 CIRCLES ON TRIPADVISOR?
The obvious question that is left is: how did a 2 star property get a 4 circle rating? Why is it ranked higher than the Fairmont which is luxury?

In order to really grasp it, I think it’s important to consider that staying at Sunwapta isn't just about renting a room for a night or two. Actually, it’s hardly about the room at all. It's about the experience you have while here, and where ‘here’ is, and how committed we are to your experience.

It's about how our staff commit themselves to you enjoying your time in Jasper, how we reach out to provide custom itineraries, tickets and activity bookings, and insider tips on wildlife sightseeing. It's about the more intimate atmosphere we can provide being a smaller property with nothing but Canadian Rockies around us.

It's about being able to talk directly to a senior manager to have your meal specifically cooked and that you will not encounter 'attitude' about it. It's about having access to a senior manager at any time - ANY TIME - during your stay to help with any special requests, or concerns.

It's about having an intimate dining room that looks not at another building, but at the Endless Chain Ridge. It's about experiencing the beauty of the falls just a short walk away, the lakes a short bike ride or drive up the road, or one of the many local trails.

It's about the fact that there are no phones in the room, that there is only unreliable internet, and that there's no cell reception so that your time is available to experience our wilderness setting and the loved ones you are with.

ON THE OTHER HAND!
I believe that there are maintenance issues that need to be dealt with in the room you stayed in. I'm sorry to hear that there were any. We are inspected by AAA and the Alberta Hotel Association, both of which look at housekeeping and maintenance issues. We are normally on the ball. Our apologies for that.

Aside from the paint spots (actually we will be retiling our bathrooms for 2014), and perhaps the shower head (but I'm unclear if that was an issue or a mistake), please feel free to share any other concerns.

I am personally going to audit each room at the end of our season with other key members of our management team. I hope to be much more prepared for future guests than we were here.

Also, cleanliness in the lodge is usually impeccable and your comments must be addressed immediately by our cleaning crew.

FINALLY!
I greatly appreciate the time you took to write this review. It had specifics that were helpful, and it calls us to a higher order I think we can accomplish.

I am very glad you found the sleep comfortable, the staff excellent, and the food tasty!

Thanks again,

Matthew Corlett
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

The staff were helpfull & extremely friendly. Fabulous food. We had no problems accessing the Wifi satalite internet. The room was comfortable. The resident bear talkative. The scenery is marvelous. A great place to take a vacation!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

HI Robin206!

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review and we're all very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay! For the readers, I'd like to expand on a few things:

WIFI:
We do not advertise that we offer internet here. The reason is that we can only receive and distribute satellite internet. Satellite internet is finicky and unreliable. If you require WIFI for work or if it's extremely important to your lifestyle, before booking please consider that it may not be available at all during your stay.

RESIDENT BEAR!
I had a good chuckle about this one! We have our very own 'Holo-Bear' (the world's first and so far only). It's a moving, talking virtual reproduction of a bear we actually filmed. He lives in the central entrance between the restaurant and the gift shop in our day lodge. He's got a few jokes up his sleeve.

The real one is magnificent in person too! If any one has the time, check out the Wildlife Discovery Park in Innisfail, AB. It's about 1 hour north of Calgary on Highway 2, and the home of the very large Barney the Bear and many of his furry friends!

We're super glad you enjoyed your scenic time away from regular life!

Thanks again Robin,

Kenosha, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I normally don't stay at 2 stars, but the reviews were so good. The staff was very helpful and had some good driving maps with suggestions of places to stop. Our room 1a had a view of the highway. Every other car seemed to stop here, along with many tourist buses. The noise was not as bad as i expected. The room needs updating and they should start with a new mattress. The bathroom fan had not been cleaned and you could see fuzz all around it. That is something that does not collect quickly, so apparently the cleaning staff does not look up. The fireplace was a nice for the cool evenings. There is a great walk to view the falls. We had to make a reservation for dinner. I had the elk pot pie and it was just a simple pot pie, for the price I guess I expected something fancier. I would chose the steak instead. They have a great little deli to get sandwiches to go.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
Hi Binnidm,

Thanks for staying with us and for taking the time to leave your comments for the TripAdvisor community! Let me start off by saying sorry that your stay seemed kind of mediocre. I wish we could have done better.

For readers, if you stay with us and you feel like things aren’t quite as you’d like, never hesitate to let us know. You will find us to be extremely solutions oriented with your experience in the Rockies being the driver in any decision we make.

WHY OUR 2 STAR HAS BEEN RANKED 4 CIRCLES!
I have previously commented on the ranking from the TripAdvisor community and what factors people really enjoyed at Sunwapta, but let me summarize here: our 2 star hotel has a 4 circle rating firstly because of service and location, and then two equal ratings are for sleep quality and cleanliness.

We have a regular mattress purchase, so I will look at 1A's history right away. As noted by TripAdvisor reviews, sleep quality is 4 circles, so Binnidm’s discomfort is an anomaly. Also, cleanliness here has and will always be a big priority. The TripAdvisor community has rated our cleanliness as 4 circles and we have decades worth of housekeeping awards. While we are 2 stars we do deliver on clean and comfort, so thank you for pointing out this inadequacy in the fan of the bathroom so we can address it.

While cleanliness, sleep quality, location and service are consistently highly ranked, our 4 circle rating mostly comes from the experience as a whole, and what our service and location really means.

We are so committed to making sure you enjoy your experience that if our hotel or your particular room doesn't fit in with the type of experience you want, on the day of check in we'll refund your money and help you find the right place for you.

Most of us book hotels and if we’re unhappy feel trapped by policies. I want to liberate you from that feeling in terms of cancellation policy at Sunwapta. If you arrive and it doesn't meet your expectations, tell us right away so we can help you get on the way to creating the experience you really want!

UPDATES
We've received quite a few comments this year stating that our rooms need updating. I've been asking the guests who mention this as I would really like for their input on specifics. If you have any you'd like to share with me, I'd greatly appreciate your insights: matthew@sunwapta.com.

We also update elements every year, and many of these are based on comments from guests and from TripAdvisor. We do have more updates scheduled for our 2014 season. Please keep in mind however that we are 2 STARS and if you need luxury accommodation with a lot of amenities, we’d recommend the 4 star properties in Jasper.

HIGHWAYS, TRAFFIC AND THE FALLS
Sunwapta is located right on the side of Highway 93, the magnificent Icefields Parkway. During the day when all of our guests are out sightseeing, everyone else's guests are as well. We are a very popular stop for daytime sightseeing traffic including group tours travelling the Parkway.

The nice part is that this gives our guests very easy access to all the sites the Parkway provides. Also, Highway 93 is strictly a sightseeing tourist highway. This means that when guests are ready to come back from a day of sightseeing, or are coming to check in, that's what every one else is doing too! By 8pm even in the peak of summer, the highway is dead quiet. In fact at night here, all you really hear is the distant roar of the Sunwapta.

The falls themselves (the first set) are about a 10 minute walk from any room, with 2 more sets roughly 20 minutes from there. Even if you choose to stay elsewhere, please stop in and get directions as they are not to be missed!

FIREPLACE
Fall is an awesome time to travel in the Rockies. Very beautiful vistas, sometimes a light snow dusting on the peaks, and animals preparing for winter... If you're looking to compliment your experience with a wood burning fire, our Hideaway rooms are equipped with wood burning fireplaces and we provide wood and service free of charge!

DINNER
Reservations for evening dining are always required. Please call or email in advance if you like: 1-888-828-5777 / info@sunwapta.com to make reservations with our front desk team. First seating is 6:30pm.

Binnidm, sorry it seems that your stay was sort of... lack lustre. I wish we could have tipped that over to memorable.

Thanks again,

Jasper East Cabins
Jasper East Cabins
#15 of 33 in Jasper National Park
3.5 of 5 stars 46 reviews

Been to Sunwapta Falls Rocky Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!