“Friends Getaway in the Fall”
Review of Pocahontas Cabins

Pocahontas Cabins
Canada
“Friends Getaway in the Fall”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Several (5) couples met for two nights at Pocahontas in September to share some good times in the Rockies. We were treated to the new two bedroom cabins. They were fantastic in every way...very clean and comfortable. We loved the log design and finish! The grounds were immaculate. The breakfasts in the restaurant provided huge portions from the buffet or the menu....it was delicious. Staff was very helpful. This is a must stay for anyone visiting the Jasper area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank AWTravelsCanada

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Jasper National Park, Canada
Reviewed October 1, 2012

My family and I were more than pleasantly surprised when we walked into the cabin we had booked for the night after hiking the rigorous yet rewarding Sulphur Skyline. From the outside, the cabin looked new, but opening the door to reveal a show-home quality "home-away-from-home" was a real surprise. The rooms were spacious, and the huge shower and warm fireplace were especially welcome features. We will be back!

Room Tip: New cabins are awesome.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Chris R
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We just finished a 6 day stay at the Pocahontas Cabins. We started out in the deluxe cabin with its great view of the center grass strip. We talked about getting more room so they upgraded us to the king Deluxe cabins. It was fantastic, big super clean room, view out to the trees and mountains, fully equipped. Did my wifi connection out in the picnic tables, great speed.

The staff was amazing, super helpful with any need, loaned out books and DVDs at no charge. The grounds were spotless, even though dogs were allowed. REasonable fee for dogs, one of the lowest around.

We don't usually stay on the east side of Jasper but saw more wildlife on the trips than on previous visits.

Can not recommend this place enough.

Room Tip: best view from the King deluxe cabins, although it faces a road, not much traffic and you don't...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I am sorry to write this review but I wouldn't want others to experience what I had to experience. I am also sorry because, beside the cleanliness and small portions at their restaurant, the staff was kind, respectful and knowledgeable. My husband, four daughters and I have recently returned from our trip this August 2012. We stayed at the Pocahontas cabins this summer. We had chosen to stay at their luxury two-story cabin, overlooking the pool. First issue was an ashtray with a cigarette in it on our second floor veranda. Second issue was the poor window coverings which could only close with great difficulty, and the mousquitoes in the room. Their mosquito lamp is not effective at all to get rid of mosquitoes or flies. Third issue was the dirty, dusty rugs throughout. I was convinced that they had not vacuumed for awhile. Fourth issue was the back of all washroom doors were plastered in a quarter inch dust and grime on the hindges, ridges and trims. The baseboards, corners, etc, were all full of dust collected there over the years. It was an awful sight. Fifth issue was that the tub/shower enclosure showed evidence of a previous use. There was soap scum with shavings of hair splattered on the bathtub enclosure as well as water stains, evidently the wall inside the shower has absolutely never been cleaned. Sixth issue was that all the beds were sloppily made, almost as though someone had slept there during the night and in the morning had clumsily pulled the covers to hide the evidence. The bedsheets, blankets and bed covers were bumpy showing evidence that they were bunched up, not straightened flat. At the sight of all that uncleanliness, I did not feel comfortable drinking from their glasses or sleeping in their beds. I was questioning if the pillows had been placed on the floor, etc. Even though I complained to them directly and filled out their comment card, I was not offered any discounts for the room and no manager came to apologize and never attempted to rectify the situation while we were there. We did receive a small discount at the restaurant, though. One issue separate from the cleanliness was the room set-up. In the upper floor, there was a bedroom with an en-suite. That bedroom had a door, but had two queen size beds in it and a large television. There was outside of the room, in a little den, another queen size bed and a window but no door and no television. As you go up the stairs and reach the top, you are faced immediately with that bed. Therefore, there was no privacy at all in that room. Well, I had to put my children somewhere because they had to share beds. I ended up having to put my children in the private bedroom with the en-suite and I ended up having to sleep in the den with no doors and no privacy for my husband and I. When we needed to use the washroom we had to go through that room or go downstairs.This was extremely inconvenient for both my husband and I and was truly an illogical set-up. I became quite paranoid with the whole affair and was truly disgusted by my visit. I have decided that I will never return there again.

Room Tip: I have tried a few years ago the Miette Hot Springs Resort and I truly enjoyed all. I also favor it...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
9 Thank Mom5194

Travelers are raving about these Jasper National Park hotels

Spruce Grove, Canada
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This is a great property just inside the east side of the JNP gates. I would highly recommend the newer cabins with the red tin roof in the center of the property and highly recommend against the older cabins in the outer ring of the property. Have all the conveniences that you could want in a little cabin and when the restaurant is open (seasonally) it is fantastic especially for breakfast! We little being out in the wilderness more than in the Jasper town site where it's so busy plus this is very close to the hot springs which is one of our favorite things!

Room Tip: See my review re: the cabins inner and outer rings
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Pocahontas Cabins Aug 27 to Aug 31/12. We stayed in one of the brand new West facing cabins. Our cabin was beautiful and spotless with every amenity we could ask for, king size bed, two flat screen t.v.s, full kitchen, stone fireplace, nice bathroom with a soaker tub and a lovely veranda. The staff was always friendly and accommodating. The warm outdoor pool and the hot tub were clean and well maintained. We did not get a chance to enjoy the restaurant as we ate in our cabin. We did visit the gift shop/store to buy a few extras and founds the prices reasonable. Most of all we enjoyed the privacy, we could just sit outside with a glass of wine and look at the spectacular mountains around us. We would definitely stay at the Pocahontas Cabins again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Susan_mountaingirl
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I think we must have stayed in the same Cabin as Lazer_Beam_Oil - either that, or the standards are consistent across the park.
We were really looking forward to staying here from the pictures - a bit rustic in a fantastically scenic part of the world. Started off badly - the Cabins are a stone's throw from the highway and about a 45 minute drive from Jasper. We pulled up to our Miner's Cabin, which actually looks like a shed with a veranda.
What immediately hit us was a smell of old fat being used to cook a fried breakfast - the smell stayed with us for the 3 nights we endured here (and odd, because there were no cooking facilities other than a microwave in the room). We then saw the same, large sticky stain on the threadbare "carpet". The sink had a massive spider crack in it that ran from the edge of the sink to the plug and the bathroom was so small, you couldn't store your shower gel, etc, in there. In the cabin itself the old tube TV (picture awful), took up half the small room.
However, as with other poor, unsuspecting guests the 2 worst things we were to discover later on in our stay - the mosquitoes and the uncleanliness. Starting with the mozzies - they are so bad, that you cannot step outside the room at dusk without getting bitten to within an inch of your life. As another reviewer has said, we had a bug killer in our room, but I'd rather that than the alternative. There's no way you could sit outside or you'd look like an extra in a horror film after about 20 minutes. There's no aircon (obviously), so if it's hot, like it was for us, then you dare not open a window, so you sit / lay and sweat.
Then there is the uncleanliness - the room was dirty to start and nothing was cleaned while we were there - they didn't even change the glasses or cups we used. Certainly, the room hadn't been vacuumed I think since the original Miner's lived there.
We found the staff were really quite friendly and the food in the restaurant was good.
I really would not recommend anyone stay here - this hotel was what prompted me to sign up to Trip Advisor, so that I could warn others to avoid like the plague (of mozzies). It's not cheap and the Miner's Cabin we were in (no. 39), was awful. I really wish we'd cut our losses and stayed elsewhere. Please, please stay anywhere else in or around Jasper - this place is an absolute shocker.

Room Tip: If you are taken hostage and have to stay here, don't ask for a Miner's Cabin.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Pod3009
RPMJasper, Manager at Pocahontas Cabins, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
We would like to thank all the individuals who posted their observations on Tripadvisor over the past year. At the signature line on all of our guest accounts we have a statement encouraging guests to visit Tripadvisor and add their comments after their departure. Recently we received candid feedback regarding our mosquitoes challenges and cleanliness issues in our cabins.

As we are in a National Park, using pesticide is not an option and we this past summer we experienced an unusually high hatch of mosquitoes due to the moisture and heat in our area. We regret this natural occurrence over a 4 week period affected all of our guests.

Regarding the cleanliness and other issues, I would like to apologize to these guests and would welcome speaking with them personally regarding their stay. Over the past year, we have had many, very good reviews from both new and repeat guests. We are committed to improving our operation and use direct feedback from our clients from comment cards, personal conversations and emails.

Over the last number of years we have been investing in new cabins at the property. Most recently (Winter 2012) we removed 7 old cabins and replaced them with 7 new log cabins. The comments we have received on these changes has been very positive and we look forward to continue making changes to our property in the coming years.

I am happy to address any concerns directly with our guests and can be reached at Pocahontas Cabins.

Ralph Melnyk, Manager