“Basic but comfortable”

Tekarra Lodge
Purley, United Kingdom
“Basic but comfortable”
Reviewed June 29, 2006

My wife and I stayed here for one night as part of Jonview's fly drive package tour of Canada's western lodges and ranches.

It is set in a superb location with excellent views and we had a cabin adjacent to the river although unfortunately the weather was pretty grim for our stay.

The cabins are clean, basic but comfortable and the beds were the most comfortable we slept on for our whole tour. If you are looking for 4 or 5 star treatment then this is not the place for you. There is no tv, radio, clocks or phone in the cabin - pure bliss !!!

We found the staff helpful and friendly and the restaurant was very good for both the evening meal and breakfast and reasonably priced.

We had no problems with mice but as it is set in a National Park, you can’t expect all wildlife to avoid the cabins!!

• Stayed June 2006
2 Thank Tommy129

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
St Helens, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2005

I stayed here with my partner and two children in August 2005. When we first arrived I was a quite disappointed. The rooms were small and there was a fridge in the middle of the main living area. However, after initially considering going elsewhere I am glad that we stayed. The bed was comfortable and the children were fine in the sofabed. It certainly made a change from the hotel rooms we stayed in during the rest of our stay. There was a play area just outside the cabin and the location was superb. We did not eat at the restaurant but it looked nice enough. While the accommodation was fairly basic we all enjoyed the three nights we had there.

5 Thank Martinloftus
Reviewed September 21, 2005

I thought staying Jasper in late September would be relatively easy! I guess I left the making of reservations too late. Everywhere I wanted to stay (that was at least in shoulder season) was booked and everything else was outrageous.

Finally... the Tekarra Lodge said they had a Lodge Room for the Friday and Saturday nights. Because I was travelling with my adult daugher I specifically requested two beds. I then requested that I be put on the waiting list for a cabin in case someone cancelled. The rate for the Lodge Room was very reasonable. $89.00 plus tax and 2 free beakfasts.

Two days after making the reservation I phoned to see if a cabin had become available. I was told that nothing was available but they would put a note on my reservation (I thought they already had) then was told the rate was $79.00 plus tax for the Friday. Ok... some bad and some good.

When we finally arrived we went to the Lodge Room nervously... It was barely OK but only had 1 double bed. My daughter and I were not pleased and rushed to the office. The girl at the desk really did not care and told us we were welcome to check out and look elsewhere! I again asked to be notified if a cabin became available for the next night...no, no, there was nothing, but she would put a note in our reservation. Oh and the rate for Friday was back up to $89.00 +tax. She did say she could move us to a room with 2 beds the next day.

The next morning we packed up quickly and went to the office...A young man was behind the counter... when I asked about moving I also mentioned a cabin again... Oh yes, he had a cabin - a larger one and he would give it to us for $115.00 plus tax. It was great (a bit shacky) but large, 2 bedrooms, tiny kitchenette, beautiful fireplace and a veranda overlooking a waterhole. My daughter and I were ecstatic. This is what we had wanted. But again there didn't seem to be a note in our reservation.

So...The place is great if you are persistent (don't count on the note in your reservation)and get the right person behind the desk. I do think when told a rate it should either be negotiated or stay at what was quoted - not jump around depending on the mood of the front desk person.

The fellow that was on duty the next day was great and made our weekend work out perfectly. One little quirk.. no clocks.. be prepared.

• Stayed September 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 21, 2005

We spent two nights at Tekarra and loved it! After reading some of the earlier reviews, we were a bit hesitant to stay here, but luckily we were pleasantly surprised! The cabins run small, so the two of us booked a cabin that was adverstised to sleep four. The "Athabasca" cabin was clean, neat, and comfortable, plus the wood-burning fireplace was a joy. Also, we had no problem with the heat (or mice). Meanwhile, the location is excellent -- simply beautiful! The staff was friendly and helpful, as well. Finally, the restaurant was fantastic -- some of the best food we had in the Canadian Rockies. IMHO, Tekarra is the best value in Jasper!

4 Thank SuzanneDawn
Reviewed August 17, 2005

When we told management there was an oder, she said "Open the doors and call me in the morning". (It was night time and cold). The heater didn't work. The sheets on the foldaway bed had dirt in them; clearly slept in before. I had to ask three times for an extra blanket, the third time was when I had to call because the office had closed and the after-hours number went to upper management, presumably. When we told them the next day there was a rodent problem inside the cabin, she said, "This is located in a national park and there are lots of animals around. You should have told me," as if she would/could have done something at 2 a.m. when we heard the animal's noises inside our cabin. She also added, "Management knows about that." (!) The floor in the bathroom was seriously sloped, and so was the tub so it didn't really drain completely. When we asked for some sort of compensation the next day, she gave us 5% off our previous night's stay, saying that's all she could do. I booked this about 8 months in advance and really wanted a special time with our family's first visit to Canada, and the visual on the cabins' Web site is great, but BEWARE! I have never had such poor value in accomodation, and I've slept in some dives. Wish I had checked TripAdvisor because I just found a comment about a mouse problem I wish I had read before I booked this place!!! BEWARE! I'm too embarassed to tell you what we paid.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 16, 2005

A group of 18 women hikers from across Canada stayed at Tekarra Lodge last week. We were very pleased with the location and accommodation. The cabins are in excellent condition and well maintained, although not consistently. If there was anything lacking, a very helpful office staff filled the void. The beds were very comfortable - the best I have enjoyed in such an accommodation. The towels were new and plentiful and there were no mice!!! We enjoyed the lectures by the Parks Canada Naturalist; she was fun and informative. The onsite laundromat was appreciated. We also enjoyed the swimming "hole" although it is inaccessible. You have to be a hiker! Regretfully I did not try the gourmet restaurant as it was highly recommended; I found it too pricey, although probably not for Americans! I would definitely recommend Tekarra Lodge.

I do not have a scanner, therefore, I cannot include photos.

Stayed August 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed July 19, 2005

We stayed few weeks ago in Tekarra family cabin. Actually I booked Pyramid lake Lodge but we escaped after spending there a horrible night.
Tekarra's family cabin is spacious and can easily accomodate our 21 and 11 olds, and two of us. Cabin was sparkling clean and beds were comfortable. We lighted up the fireplace every night because it was a bit chilly outside. Firewood was provided by hotel. The location is perfect, very scenic on the Mietta and Atabasca river junction but also close to major roads. Hotel stuff was extrimely friendly and helpful. We all had a great time. Thanks!

• Stayed July 2005