“It is what it is, simple as that!”
Review of Mama Panda

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Mama Panda
Ranked #127 of 201 Restaurants in Grande Prairie
Cuisines: American
Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

Honestly I'm not sure why people have mixed feelings on this place, first off its a Chinese/cdn buffet it's not meant to knock your socks off. I do agree fully though that some of the food choices are well...in need of help or a change up. I've been to a few of this variety buffet style restaurants and well they seem to be all in the same tune. Cleanliness is certainly a issue, and should always be on top of it. As for the comment about welfare recipients there, personally if I were on welfare I couldn't afford to go there, their buffet prices are nuts!!!!!

Reviewed August 23, 2013

So... We tried the infamous mama panda last night.
It's infamously terrible in most people's minds.
Hmmm where to start.
They require you to pay first and ask for a tip at the register...
When you walk in you kinda have to guess where everything is after we found the cups and found an area of clean forks (the one cup of forks had a bunch of granola spilled into them) and actually a lot of the surfaces were a little dirty, I didn't pry into it as I didn't want to ruin my appetite. Spilt food won't kill you.
So you pour your own drinks and get your own food and utensils. (Lol why do they ask for a tip at the beginning)
So on to the food
Noodles were alright, mixed veges were actually delicious, fish was blah, Chinese flat noodles were all cooked stuck together in clumps, the battered imitation crab was oily but alright, sushi looked sub par, I didn't try it, chicken wings were Delicious! Pork chops were good, fried chicken was dry, beef stew (in my boyfriends words tasted like dog food) it wasn't thaaaat bad, spring rolls were VERY oily, sweet and sour chicken was fresh and tasty.
Soft serve Ice cream was delicious chocolate or vanilla but no option to uses twist...
The ginger ale was running out of syrup so tasted like club soda, my dr pepper was good enough.
Don't get me started on the general population that was frequenting the restaurant either. Looked like welfare bums and family's with loud children. (Didn't mind the kids that much)
All in all
It is NOT WORTH the price.
It's overpriced like all the restaurants in this city ughhhh
It should be a 6.99 lunch buffet and 10.99 dinner not the 16$ that they charge.
Everywhere I read everyone says well its cheap and you get what you pay for.... Are they crazy??? It's overpriced but the ONLY Chinese dinner buffet they have in town that I know of.
This is not the greatest but good enough food if you want to eat a bunch of cheap Chinese food at grande prairie restaurant prices.

2  Thank Shannon H
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

First of all, I've never had to pay before being allowed to enter and sit down, now I know why. There are mirrors on the wall to make the place look bigger and not a good selection of food. Some food was dry, tasteless and overlooked. The salad station- if you could call it that was minimal. If your health conscious don't come here. The overall atmosphere is like a cafeteria, no music no welcome after you pay and make sure you keep your receipt when you go back to the buffet for seconds, you may be asked to produce it to ensure you paid. I would rather eat at MacDonald's really.

1  Thank thefoodsnob
Reviewed April 11, 2013

The food here is simply gross and tastes old. Been there a few times when I was in high school not by choice and I will never ever go back that is how gross it is.

Reviewed July 23, 2012

There is an amazing lack of choice for buffets in Grande Prairie. I went there twice. Both times the food wasn't very good. Their gravy mix was awful. I might try again someday given the lack of choice in town, but I will first I will phone and make sure they got rid of their cook. A shame to see a business with such great potential go down the tubes for such an easily correctable problem.

2  Thank optimisticrealist1