Best Western Grande Prairie Hotel & Suites
GreenLeadersSilver level
Grande Cache, Canada
“Duped”
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I booked a room through Hotwire, and thought I would get the nicest hotel available, a 3 star for $165. This room was paid for prior to finding out the hotel, and when I arrived at the rigistration desk I was told that the only room available was a smoking room or I could pay another $120 for a jacuzzi or presidential room. I am a non-smoker and cannot stand to be around it as I feel smothered, but I could not afford to pay more money. The lady at the desk offered me a room spray - insult to injury! I spent the night in a room that felt and smelled like an ashtray. It reeked strongly of smoke, felt grimy and had torn curtains in the window. The window was frozen shut, so I could not let in any fresh air.

I advised the lovely girl at the front desk that the hotel should not allow it's rooms to be ruined by smoking, and that these rooms should not be offered for online booking where people are not asked their smoking preferences. What a terrible experience and a huge waste of money! I have stayed at this hotel before and the non-smoking room was fine, but I felt like I was duped out of my money on this one!

Room Tip: Don't book online if you want a non-smoking room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
GMBWGP, General Manager at Best Western Grande Prairie Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear Value guest,

Let my start by apologizing that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Our goal is to make every stay for all of our guests enjoyable & memorable.
Although, booking online through some channels is one of the most convenient & cheapest ways, it comes with a price of twofold: 1) you cannot select the hotel of your choice; 2) you cannot select the room type. From Hotwire end, they do not see our room types, they only see available units in numbers; and from the hotel end there is no way for us to know the guest preferred room type as Hotwire doesn’t offer these kind of guest preferences in their reservation screens. My understanding that this complaint is also communicated to Best Western International and they explained to you that the hotel was sold out that night; however, as a courtesy they offered you a satisfactory resolution, and explanation for the nature of the problem.

We are looking forward to welcome you again, and extend our warmest hospitality for your next visit to Grande Prairie. Please do not hesitate to contact me in person or any one from my team for your next visit arrangements.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel on the recommendation of family that had stayed there previously. My room, one of the queen suites with a queen bedroom and separate room with pull out sofa, was immaculately clean and spacious. I had booked 30 days in advance so the rate was excellent. My stay included breakfast and I was pleasantly surprised to find that breakfast was a full buffet breakfast in the restaurant at the hotel (as compared with some unappealing continental breakfasts that other hotels offer as part of your stay). The service was very good and I had absolutely no complaints. This hotel is a hidden gem. The only drawback, though it was not an issue for me, is that it is not it is not within walking distance of any stores or malls, however if you have a car or otherwise access to transportation this should not be an issue. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: I was on the fourth floor away from the elevator at the back of the hotel. It was very quiet during...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
GMBWGP, General Manager at Best Western Grande Prairie Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear value guest,

We are happy to see that you have appreciated the efforts we have made to offer an outstanding breakfast for our guests to start their day. Our chef orders in fresh farm eggs for breakfast to accompany the full bacon, sausages, pancakes, and in-house made hash browns.

Thank you for taking time out your busy schedule to share your positive comments about our hotel. We strive to meet and exceed the expectations of all of our guests and our staff will be very happy to hear your comments.

Once again Thank you, and looking forward to welcome you again.

Amr Awad
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Stayed there for two nights. Nice hotel, great location, excellent staff.Noticed a few things, not bad, but in need of improvement. Carpets in the room needed a good cleaning, and a little attention needed to be paid to the nook and crannies in my suite. For example, there was a good pile of "dirt" where the door met the hinge in the bathroom. Not a huge deal, but there was a fingernail in it and it was a little disgusting. The sheets on the bed were basically see through, but it was the most comfortable bed I have slept on, and the pillows were comfortable! I will stay there again on my next visit! I was a little disappointed in the fitness center, the elliptical needed a strap on monitor to gauge heart rate, so I took the recumbent bike, as the treadmill was out of order. The reception on certain channels on the tv was poor as well.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
GMBWGP, General Manager at Best Western Grande Prairie Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear Value Guest,

Thank you for taking time & efforts to let us know where we need to improve as we consider every guest comment as pure feedback to help us to excel; and definitely I will share these comments with our housekeeping team. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us
and appreciated the team efforts to ensure your stay memorable.

On the other hand, when it comes to improvement, please allow me to share with you our capital plans for the year 2012. Yes 2012, as we are aligning several projects, which is taking place right now and to be concluded hopefully before the end of 2012. We are in the process of changing all the guest rooms & banquet carpet. In the next few days, we will receive the new fitness centre equipment (treadmill & bike); also, when it comes to the TV and cable services, we are building a totally new system with TELUS were we will have digital box, internet modem and HD channels in all of our guest rooms.

Looking forward to your next visit.

Amr
Edmonton
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Ok, the pool is a little short, but it's not a puddle like some other places try to pass off as a pool. You can actually get some laps in.

The rooms are nice and generally quiet. The HVAC isn't an omipresent drone like it is in other hotels. The front desk is polite and helpful and there is a free shuttle to and from the airport. Business wise, the wifi signal is strong, but the bandwidth throttling drops in rather quickly. There is also complementary coffee in the lobby which is a bonus after getting from a long trip, or post workout.

The breakfast that is included is pretty basic, but nicely done all the same.

The only knock is that without wheels of your own, there are only two restaurants to choose from within walking distance. Padrino's is very nice, but "heavy". Tony Roma's is in the parking lot, but isn't well reviewed.

Room Tip: Second floor is nice.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
GMBWGP, General Manager at Best Western Grande Prairie Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you, the entire team here at Best Western strives for customer satisfaction and we really appreciate you taking the time to complete a review on your stay with our Property. Your comments on your last stay were very informative and appreciated by our staff. In regards to our Internet, we are currently in the process of upgrading to new technology, which will have modems in all our rooms. We should have this completed very soon and the internet will be 100x improved.We appreciate your dedication and loyalty to our Brand. By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we may improve, you are helping us to deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future. Thank you again for taking time to complete a review. We look forward to you staying with us again in the future.

Once again, thank you.
calgary
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Excellent location, clean and modern rooms with welcoming staff. Very nice breakfast in the restaurant with a good choice. One of the nicer Best Westerns I have stayed in and will return on future business trips. Close to Centre 2000 and Muskoseepi Park and on a main road #43.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
GMBWGP, General Manager at Best Western Grande Prairie Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Value Guest (Calgary Scot):

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and write such kind comments regarding the hotel location & our welcoming team.

It is always gratifying to know that our team performance was effective and appreciated. I am passing on your comments to the entire Best Western Grande Prairie team, knowing that it will serve as an inspiration to our staff to continue their endless efforts of going above and beyond our guest expectations.

We appreciate your patronage and hope you will stay with us at the Best Western Hotel & Suites Grande Prairie again & again.

We all here look forward to your return.

Once again, in behalf of the entire team “Thank You”
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed August 21, 2012

My husband and I stayed 2 nights July 18 & 19 and enjoyed the friendly check-in and the great location right across the street from Travel Alberta tourist information and Muskokeepi Park. The park had paved walking trails and a large childrens playground. Tony Roma's restaurant was just across the parking lot - very convenient after a long drive. The lobby was very clean and inviting with a sitting area, internet area and coffee at one end. The room was fine except that the bathroom door/floor was warped which made it very difficult to close the bathroom door.

A complimentary breakfast is offered in Padrino's restaurant. At checkin, we were given a 10 percent off coupon for dinner in Padrino's which we used on the second evening. Very good dinner and service. We did have breakfast on the first morning at the hotel. Unfortunately, we didn't enjoy it and had breakfast elsewhere the second morning. The muffins that my husband and I had were VERY stale. The hot water for tea was lukewarm. We didn't have the hot food but did like the fact that there was yogurt and fruit salad offered. The coffee was good too.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
GMBWGP, General Manager at Best Western Grande Prairie Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Thank you very much for your positive comments regarding our hotel! As for our issues with flooring you might be happy to know that we are currently in planning & purchasing stages and will have new flooring in all of our guest rooms shortly. This should fix any issues between floor and door.

In regards, to your unhappiness with your breakfast this is not acceptable to myself or our team. We pride ourselves in creating fresh and hot breakfast items from scratch including muffins baked in-house daily. I apologise that this was not the case in your situation and we are conducting an investigation to see why this was the case.

Thank you for all of your comments and we look forward to serving you again.