“Worse than terrible”

Ranked #19 of 24 Hotels in Grande Prairie
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
“Worse than terrible”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Canadian Motor Inn – Grande Prairie – June 27 2013 On the morning of June 27/13 approximately 6AM, I went to get the receipts for the rooms the company stayed in. As I was getting them the guy asked for the keys so I gave it to him. I figured I’d just get it back when I came to get the things I was leaving in there for the mean while for example food, shoes and other things I didn’t want to lug with me. In the meanwhile I went to work for the morning. I knew I’d be back before 11AM to grab it. I arrived to the motel at 10:25AM I went to ask for the room key, the lady at the front desk told me the room was already cleaned and to ask the housekeeper where she had put the stuff. When I opened the room my belongings where gone so I asked the housekeeper where it was, she told me she tossed it out in the garbage bin that was recently picked up by the garbage man. I went to the front desk to figure this problem out and she told me they don’t keep food or contact the people who stayed in the room so I asked what about my shoes, dishes and blanket, etc. She told me it was their policy to take the stuff and put it in the lost and found and call the renter, but she said she didn’t do it this time. Soon after the housekeeper came in and said she had some of the food in her vehicle and I watched her grab it out of the Truck. I continued to talk with the lady at the front desk, she said she couldn’t do anything about my other stuff that got tossed out and that I could wait to talk to the manager but I had to be in Valley view, AB for work so I told her the manager could call me and she said okay, as the had my phone number all along. As I was leaving the housekeeper had ran up to me again and said she also had some of my plates, I took them and asked about my other stuff then she went off again and retuned back with Two out of a Twenty-Four pack of tupperware rubber mate containers. I was wondering where she was getting all my stuff from and suspect she had more of it. After leaving I was expecting the call from the manager, I drove all the way to valley view and worked the rest of the day and after 9 hours I still have yet to get a call. I told the management of my company and they contacted the Canadian Motor Inn and told my manager to… lets just say it was very vulgar. When I got the call back from my company they said to report it to the RCMP of Grand Prairie, than I soon after did. They told me they would start a file and look into it for me. Still yet to resolve this problem.

If I am correct any hotel or motel must contact there guests whom have forgotten or left anything of value or sentimental belonging behind to confirm before throwing it out. Also employees no where are supposed to take things home for themselves, its considered stealing and theft. Not to mention food she was stealing was used Mayo, sour cream, butter...etc how disgusting. Other than that ridiculousness

The breakfast is terrible, they had dirty apples and cut in half, picked at bagels, warm juice in containers and nothing else.

Considering this happened and I now have to deal with the drama of their employees and manager telling me to shove it. I have absolutely nothing positive to say.

Room Tip: Do not stay here, not true Canadians.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank kaleylyle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Golden, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stayed in canadian motor inn in grande prairie for 2 months strait for a work contract. The free complimentary breakfast is not so good it dosent not support me for a day of work the room is not clean. The carpet as endless smoke burn. There is minimal heating. We had to complain for 3 days before they gave a portable heather to us. Not worth the money they charge!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Oliverlaliberte
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Location is great - close to the airport and shopping at a reasonable price. Free continental breakfast was great too. Staff were friendly as well. If you are looking for a place to stay for a few nights with budget, this is one of the best option in Grande Prarie area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank gp2013
Mackenzie, Canada
Reviewed April 26, 2012

We have stayed here a few times, and have never regretted it. Once we had to change rooms because someone had been smoking in it, but it was handled without a fuss.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank doug z
Northern Alberta
Reviewed April 3, 2012

Room reeked of smoke, shabby beds, stains all over the carpets have never been cleaned, old run down appliances. Not worth the $200.00 deposit, took that money and moved to another place!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Mommy W
Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed February 5, 2012

We stayed in a King Size suite with a kitchenette. The rooms are clean and quiet and very reasonable. The internet is not wireless but very reliable. There is a laundry on site and the rates are very reasonable. It is also pet friendly, with a small surcharge. The staff are very helpful and friendly. Honestly, It is a motel so we weren't expecting fancy soaps and 500 count sheets. The Motel is conveniently located near the mall with all amenities within walking distance. I would recommend this property without reservations.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Kathleen A
Victoria Capital Regional District, Canada
Reviewed October 1, 2011

Our room was behind a partial wall so it was on the dark side but it was otherwise fine. We had a queen size bed and a full sized couch plus television, microwave, fridge and coffee maker (none of which we used). A continental breakfast was provided in the lobby and the staff were friendly and helpful. Not a luxurious hotel by any means but it's a good place to stay and easy on the budget. It is located not far from the main road but there were no traffic noises to disturb us.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple