“Beautiful and Classy staff !”

Sandman Hotel Grande Prairie
Ranked #18 of 24 Hotels in Grande Prairie
Winnipeg
“Beautiful and Classy staff !”
Reviewed June 25, 2014

First time ever staying at any Sandman in my life. I usually stay at Best Western's. But my sister had booked through Expedia and this was the best deal. I don't like using those websites when I book, I find you get better the same if not better rates by booking through the property directly and sticking with one hotel chain. My first impression of this hotel wasn't too great, there was a homeless couple asking for change in the parking lot, but we just walked away!! When we walked into the building it then all got a lot better!! An extremely handsome guy with dark hair caught my eye right away named Justin, "I don't often see a male working a front desk at a hotel but when I do they usually look nerdy and not attractive at all, he was great on my eyes :) ! Also there was very pretty blonde girl named Sarah! Whoever hires the staff must have amazing Taste!! They were both very pleasant, and very talkative I began to realize the guy was gay :( I would of seriously considered asking him to go on a date with me. Both clerks were pretty helpful after we had told them we were not too familiar with the area. They both really made the second impression of this hotel great! The room was pretty clean as well!! The Denny's restaurant also had amazing service! And great food I was super impressed!!! this is probably the best hotel I have ever been too, I don't often take this time to even write comments, most hotel clerks are fairly rude. I only come to grande prairie maybe once a month but next time I do I will most definitely be booking at this hotel directly! The only bad thing tho is the annoying loitering homeless people but they were dealt with after I had spoke with the staff Overall tho great stay !!! And pretty much perfect customer
service! I highly recommend this location if anyone is in Grand Prairie. Xoxoxo Channy

• Stayed June 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed June 20, 2014

Disappointed with the exercise room. Stationary bike and stair climber both unserviceable. Location is good with many dinning and shopping options close by. Close to airport ($25 dollar cab ride). Staff friendly and room was clean.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
medicine hat alberta
Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

Another pleasant stay although upgrades to wifi are badly needed. The hotel in general needs a refurbishment the whole building is looking tired. Staff as always very helpful and ready to help. All in all not a bad place to stay in grande prairie

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Fort St. John, Canada
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Upon arrival, stopping out front to check in we found about a dozen people to the left of the entrance at the smoking area outside the bar at hotel and another half dozen or so to the right outside the Dennys.Nasty to navigate for those who don't smoke or have young kids as we did. Inside we found a barefoot homeless girl laying on a love seat in the lobby, who after checking in asked my wife and I if we had a smoke she could borrow. We were put in room 101. As soon as we got to the room my grandson needed the potty.The rim, front of toilet and floor were covered in dried urine. Night manager gave us a different room.The Denny s restaurant was on a par with the hotel, Burnt chicken for my grandson, my meal did not come as ordered and my wife is still waiting for her salad dressing after asking twice. The urine on the floor left us feeling as though nothing was probably cleaned properly. When three people book and pay for a suite perhaps 3 towels facecloths and hand towels would be a novel idea.

Room Tip: Stay at the Podollan.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank al h
gm_grandeprairie, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Grande Prairie, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of your recent stay at our property. I am sorry it was not to your satisfaction as we do take pride in our guest experience. Our staff did move you into a different room to address the dissatisfaction with your first room. If you had advised the desk staff that you required addition towels, they would have been able to tell you that extras are available under the sink and/or deliver the required towels to your room. Unfortunately the issue of smokers outside the building and bar is beyond our control and I certainly agree that it is not pleasant.
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed March 15, 2014

I stayed in this hotel and glad it was just one night. The check in was quick and the employee was very friendly. Getting off the elevator on my floor, it felt like a sauna. In the room, it was the same! The wall thermostat was over 20 which I turned down and found a instructions by the AC on how to cool the room. I turned it on to a low temperature and after returning an hour later, I still found it too warm in the room.

The room and furniture is outdated as others have said. The comforter reminded my of the 70s and there were knicks on the dresser and closet. It would have been great if there was a mini fridge but no such luck. With the AC being so loud I didn't sleep with it on and didn't have the covers on me. The sleep was decent until 3:30AM when the rumble and whistle of the train woke me up. Try to ask for a room that doesn't face the train tracks but I don't know if that would help.

The wifi isn't reliable but there's a computer in the business centre that you can also print from. There's also a fitness centre on the first floor by the elevators. There's a Denny's and a bar on site but there's also a few restaurants around such as Wendy's and Subway. The location is great and convenient to walk to most places I had to get to. The evening front desk employee was very friendly and helpful too.

Not sure I would stay here again if there are other hotels in the downtown area to choose from.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't face the train tracks
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
gm_grandeprairie, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Grande Prairie, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, your time and feedback is much appreciated. I am sorry you encountered issues with the room heat during your stay, and unfortunately the train and train tracks are beyond our control. They are not used that often, but obviously the timing was wrong for your stay.
It is great to hear the positive feedback regarding the staff, we take pride in the level of customer service offered, and it is nice to hear they were up to standards.
I do hope you consider us for your next visit to Grande Prairie.
Edmonton
Reviewed February 22, 2014

The rooms are dirty and seem really old...not been updated at all. Carpet is dirty, bathroom lights flicker. The only good thing was the coffee. Oh ya...tried to take a shower this morning and there's not a drop of hot water! I'll update this review once the front desk lets us know what the General Manager is going to do about this.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Icepinkiesnow
gm_grandeprairie, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Grande Prairie, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write the review of your stay with Sandman Hotel Grande Prairie. We did have an unfortunate incident with our boiler system, and truly do appreciate the understanding and patience of our guests. We addressed the issue immediately and the part was ordered and has since been repaired. I know this doesn't help with your recent stay, and I do apologize for that. We continue to update our rooms, with specific areas done each year. We have recently completed the flatscreen TVs for each room and have also started a duvet program. As with any major undertaking, it all takes time. Looking to the future we will be adding more duvets, and some new carpeting has recently been installed in some areas, with more to come in near future.
I hope you won't let this past stay deter you from staying with us in the future, as the situation was truly unfortunate on all levels and beyond our control. I take pride in our property and the level of professionalism of my staff. They did the best they could with the situation.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed January 25, 2014

The hotel is showing its age, Bed and furniture are quite old, and the bed sagged enough that my wife and I rolled toward the center a few times in the night. For the price of the room we feel that we paid mostly for the location, and the Sandman name. The staff was friendly and very helpful in the morning. We stayed at the hotel on January 20 2014. We also found the sink drain in the washroom to be almost plugged, so we passed the info on to the staff in the morning. The biggest effect on our sleep was train noise, as the hotel is located right next to an East-West spur track that had trains using it a few times throughout the night and they were blowing their whistles a lot. Even though this is not the hotels fault, it is a reason we feel the price is too much when there is factors that disturbed our stay.
Harvey M

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side may be quieter, being away from the train tracks. Higher floors may be quiet...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family