“Stayed one night”

Ranked #18 of 24 Hotels in Grande Prairie
Beaverlodge, Alberta, Canada
“Stayed one night”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2013

Spent one night so we could go to husbands Christmas party.Was nice we could check in about a hour earlier than their 4 o'clock check in time.We were in a smoking room as I am a smoker but their air freshener or cleaner was such a strong smell we had to open the window for some fresh air and when we opened curtains there were 4 beer sitting in the window from the previous guests.Also the bathroom light flickered so bad you couldn't be in there long because it was a great start to a headache.Beds are VERY hard and we wound up checking out by 7:30 just so we could get home to our own bed.Staff was very pleasant.We didn't bother mentioning any of our issues as we were only there for one night and left so early it wasn't worth our time.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel about 15-20 nights in the last 3 years or so. I book it because I travel for work and our office is conveniently located across the parking lot. That being said, I’ve stayed in many rooms in this hotel and they all have one thing in common – outdated. The furniture is old and it is showing. The sofas and chairs have stains on them and it’s very unappealing. The carpets are stained and there is an odd smell in the rooms. Can’t tell you what exactly – could be old smoke, mold or who knows what. After the first few stays I made sure to always pack a travel size bottle of Febreeze – it makes a world of difference. Most staff is friendly, although I’ve had an incident with a vending machine eating coins and not giving out the water bottles and when I let reception know about it she was rather rude. Beds are decent – not the most comfortable but not the worst by a long shot.
My last stay was Nov. 14-16. I checked in and had a corner room on the top floor – room was spacious enough and it had a mini fridge which helps when staying for a few days. The first night happened to be very cold and extremely windy – the wind was blowing in through the air conditioner in the wall! Can’t say I’ve had that happen before -turned the heat on but it didn’t warm up quick enough so I layered clothes on and went to bed. A piece of eavestrough was broken and barely hanging on and it kept hitting the wall throughout the night making it difficult to fall and stay asleep.
The next morning I decided to use my “free” stay. If you stay 12 nights you get the 13th free. I checked out and checked back in – I was upgraded to another room on the fourth floor. The room was huge – had a kitchenette, living room, king bed and a Jacuzzi. I was informed that sometimes the Jacuzzi blows the breaker and if that happens I was told what to do to fix it. After a long day of work I was looking forward to a soak in the Jacuzzi tub. I turned it on - nothing happened. Tried the fix I was told about earlier – nothing. Phoned the front desk and told them about it – the receptionist apologized and said there is no one available to fix it and that’s that. There was no offer to move me to another room that had a functioning Jacuzzi. Needless to say, as thrilled as I was with the upgrade to the lovely room I was just as disappointed when the Jacuzzi, which was the highlight of the room did not work. To add salt to injury, as I was leaving the suite the next morning, the housekeeping staff was on the floor and asked how my stay was – I answered them and mentioned that the Jacuzzi did not work which was disappointing. They (2 women) both knew this was an ongoing issue and were surprised that it wasn’t yet fixed. When I checked out the front desk staff asked the same question and I gave the same answer – she asked if I was given the option to switch rooms to which I said no, because when I phoned to complain about the Jacuzzi not working the girl apologized but did not offer any options.
Bottom line – this is not the best or worst hotel I’ve stayed at. It is conveniently located however it would be nice to make a few improvements to make it more appealing: furniture and carpets need to be replaced (at least in the rooms I’ve stayed in with the exception of the last one, and please fix/upgrade/boost the Wi-Fi because it’s iffy at best.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Monica E
Notre-Dame-de-Lourdes, Manitoba, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

Wow. Travelling from Manitoba to grande prairie AB for 6 nights. Booked online with Expedia (great service there) BUT upon arrival first thing noticed is a broken table leg and homemade looking bedframe with a board sticking out on the one side. It's November, cold enough, add wind blowing in through the air conditioner in the wall! I used the extra blanket from closet to cover the ac, still cold. The only reason we picked The Sandman was for the pool and hottub, what a mess! Dirty shoe prints everywhere, a cold hottub with cigarette butts in it!! Dirty Kleenex on floor. Yuck. I notified the front desk, still dirty (same state) 2 days later- now a sign on the door "pool closed". What a total disappointment- overall. Waiting on a response from the manager and Expedia, want compensation for this!! We would've stayed somewhere cheaper with at least a fridge and microwave in the room had we known- only a tiny coffee maker in here.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere. Period.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sharla P
Toronto
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

Not my first stay likely my last. The non smoking room smelled of smoke and cheap perfume. The train at 3:30 am was a early wake up call that seemed to last for over a half hour of horns and bells. No breakfast yet there is a Denny's in the lobby? Not worth the price.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

I have been staying here over the years for business beacuse its close to good restaurants and the hospital. I like that a hotel where you can easily walk to get choice in restaurants and also that has one in case its too cold or I am tired. This one meets that with Earls , The Shark Club and nice Indian place. As well as having the Denny's and a bar attached. However, the rooms desparately need new everything. Stains on the carpet, furniture from over 10 years ago and uncomfortable pillows.This time around the TV didn't work for 2 days and the Wifi was iffy. It would be awesome if they would spend the money and do some renos, then I would happily keep returning but its time to move on.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Ramarley
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

I have stayed at the Sandman in Vancouver and Winnipeg. This hotel pales in comparison to the others. The rooms are small and crowded. There is no bar fridge, so I could not store my food anywhere. I like to spread out when I travel, but the bathroom has no shelf space, so that wasn't possible. The hotel does have a fitness area and a pool, but I didn't check them out. It is also next door to Denny's, a nice convenience. The reception is polite and welcoming. Free internet, which is always nice to have. TV programming is limited. Beds are very firm, but not uncomfortable. Pillows are large.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Edmonton, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

Service was good, but the water would burn your eyes when you had a shower , the pool was very dirty, when you walk into the pool room the air would burn your eyes also,The fan in the bathroom does not work, pillows are not very comfy.

Room Tip: I would recommend you not staying here.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family