“Decent place to stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 24 Hotels in Grande Prairie
Medicine Hat, Canada
“Decent place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

The hotel staff were very friendly and accommodating. The breakfast was good with a wide variety of food. We enjoyed the water slides and hot tub. Our hotel room was clean but the carpet and the bed spreads were very worn. Overall we had a great stay and would go back again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Mickseny

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2012 via mobile

Well located off major highways. For those who like to gamble, the Great Northern casino is right next door.

Rooms are average, but nice Bed and bedding are comfortable.

Nicely stocked coffe and tea maker. Refrigerator and microwave in room. Big screen TV. Free hot breakfast and free wireless Internet. No annoying passwords. Comfy robes. Air conditioning.

All I'm all, a very adequate home away from home.

• Stayed June 2012
Alberta, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2012

This was my first stay at this hotel and I made the reservation online. I want to congratulate the website photographer because the posted photos of the rooms were more impressive than the actual rooms. The term "suites" is a slight embellishment as they are only slightly larger than a regular hotel room with the same amenities. The carpeting throughout the hotel is similar to indoor/outdoor carpet but this likely reflects the clientele who are oil patch workers. It doesn't take many pairs of workboots to make a carpet wellworn!

The furnishings are mismatched and the bed linens could do with a makeover. The towels and bathrobes however are top notch. I would attribute the "plus" in Service Plus to be the complimentary hot breakfast - no complaints there.

If being near the Casino is of interest to you, then this is the place to stay. The hotel is also walking distance to Michaels and Winners.

Room Tip: Third floor is only non smoking floor. The other floors are half smoking and non smoking rooms. ask...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jacksmom_9
Penticton, BC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2012

This is my second visit to this Hotel. When I stayed there two years ago, I was so suprised with the awesome customer service and fantastic rooms, and this is why I booked here the second time.

My how things have changed. Yes you still get wonderful bathroom ammenities, yes there is still the continental breakfast ( I never used it the first time or this time) However the rooms have deteriorated greatly. The wonderful nice bed spreads are now worn old spreads that make you wish you had your hasmat suit. The rest of the room was starting to show some wear and tear as well. Im thinking its because of the construction and patch workers that are staying here as hotel of choice.

The customer service has dropped off as well. My first visit they called my room everyday to ensure I had everything I needed to make my stay pleasant. This time I received the call on my way out the door after checking out. They just dont seem to care about it anymore. First visit always greeted on my way in or out of the hotel. This time not at all.

I will check out other hotels for future visits I was sadly dissappointed this time around.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank marcandkath
Alberta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2010

I have stayed at this hotel numerous times for work mostly, but some leisure. The rooms are average, nothing to complain about. Cleaning crew has always been great, leaving a bottle of water and mints each day. It is right beside the casino if that is your thing. There is also a nice pub/restaurant located in the same parking lot. Close to shopping and other restaurants as well. Can get a little noisy at night when the pub lets out if you are facing it and have your window open. Waterslide and pool in building as well.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Canmore, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2010

I travel for work alot. I've stayed in hotels all over the continent -- every chain, every price level. As I travel, I grow increasingly frustrated with the lack of reasonable customer service available at hotels. Sometimes getting a smile from the staff seems like a difficult task. And then I found myself at the Service Plus Inn in Grande Prairie ...

I had both my wallets taken on this trip (one had credit cards, the other had cash). I have no ID, no credit cards, and no cash. As my office made arrangements to fax copies of my ID to the hotel, they suggested I ask the hotel for help. I was mortified to ask for such help. I felt like I sounded like a scam artist trying to get something for free. I was completly amazed by how quickly the hotel staff offered to help!!! I can recall instances in other hotels where I tried to get the password for their own inhouse wireless internet and it was like pulling teeth. Here I am at the Service Plus with no identity and they readily offer their help. It is actually sad how bad service had gotten elsewhere that i am now blown away to find two people that were only doing the decent and expected thing to do -- help a traveler in need.

Way to go, Service Plus! You can certainly stand by your name! You will always be tops in my book, and this will be the only place I stay on future trips to the area.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2009

Stayed here as it was available when I did a last minute reservation. Staff was friendly, room was clean, bed comfortable enough to sleep. I was surprised it wasn't noisier, being located right beside the casino. Average continental breakfast. There are other hotels in GP in the same price range that I much prefer and offer a little higher quality. That being said, there was nothing wrong with the property, and I would stay there again if my preferences were full.
There is no restaurant in the hotel, but there is on across the parking lot, and several others close by. As well, there is a shopping area close to the hotel, including a grocery store, drug store, and cinemas.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends