“Good price for good hotel”

Motel 6 Grande Prairie
Ranked #13 of 24 Hotels in Grande Prairie
Banff National Park, Canada
“Good price for good hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

Nice and clean. Fairly new hotel. A bit of a drive from the airport so if you're taking a cab it'll take 15-20 minutes. Very accommodating and friendly staff! No hassle over deposits and willing to oblige for a late check out. This is the second time we've stayed here and would/will stay again.

Stayed December 2013
m65709, Front Office Manager at Motel 6 Grande Prairie, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share about your most recent stay!
We believe that feedback is a gift and are always happy to receive positive feedback. Being and economical hotel we strive to provide exceptional customer service and take pride in the cleanliness of our rooms, I am pleased to hear that your expectations were met. Please know that we do have a cab company that offers our guests a discounted rate should you need these services to get to the airport as unfortunately it is a fair distance. I am glad we were able to accommodate you accordingly and look forward to seeing you for your next visit to Grande Prairie!
Take care,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Grande Prairie, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for two nights and I will never go back again. I will say that the staff is super friendly and that is where my compliments end. After I checked in, I proceeded to my room and upon walking off the elevator I just about fell over with the smell of weed. When I went into my room the smell was terrible and I had to go to the front desk to ask for some air freshener. Between the air freshener and having the window open (at -35 no less) we were frozen but at least could breathe in our room. After getting the smell out I thought I would have a hot bath to warm up in the nice deep tub, after the water running for 20 minutes on high I still only had 6" of water in the tub so I gave up on that idea. The beds were quite small, I ended up sleeping in the bed with my daughter instead of my husband so we could at least move. When I booked this hotel I specifically asked if they had plugins for the vehicles since it was extremely cold out, I was told yes, what they neglected to tell me was that the plugins were only if you could find a space at the building which makes up less than a third of their parking so I was unable to get one. Both nights we were there it was noisy but the second night I was sure the people above us were coming through our ceiling, I called the front desk and complained. I will admit the noise did stop for a few minutes after that but started up again and continued the whole night. So between a car that wouldn't start, gagging every time I walked out of my room, small beds, a faucet that barely ran and no sleep from the noise I was very happy to leave this place, it is well worth the few extra dollars to stay somewhere else. When I checked out I informed the lady about everything that had went on and got a simple "well i'm sorry about that", not much in way of compensation. This hotel is mainly full of oilfield workers and I believe that when you call to book this hotel with a family you should be made aware of that, it was not a family friendly environment at all.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Michelle B

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I am very sorry that you feel we are "Not a family friendly hotel" and I completely understand your frustrations with your stay, please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.
Upon making your reservation for a smoking room I am sorry that you were uniformed that our rooms are very heavily smoked in due to the amount of oil workers we have living in our hotel.I noticed that you were also unable to get a parking stall in where you could plug your vehicle in. unfortunately yes the plug in's are only located around the parking stalls of the building, please know that it is in our 2014 capital plan to get plugs along the exterior of the parking lot as well. In hopes you will give us a second chance to serve you better may I suggest a non smoking room on the ground floor for the convenience of smoking outside but the smell of freshness in a non smoking room. unfortunately we do only have the two types of rooms; one queen bed or two doubles.

I will be sure to share your comments with our entire team as we believe that feed back is a gift. We strive to provide exceptional customer service and are disappointed you were not satisfied.
Take care,

Travelers are raving about these Grande Prairie hotels

Hinton, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

My kids and I stayed there for 2 nights to visit friends and family. We knew from the get go it was going to be a rig worker hotel because of the price tag... Yes the halls were a tad dirty and there was evidence that people were smoking in their rooms. But for $80.00 what do you expect?? The room was very clean, everything was updated and it was quite! I would most definitely stay here again with my kids, the staff was very pleasant and always smiling! Even the guests were happy and seemed delighted to see little ones running around making noise!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
m65709, Front Office Manager at Motel 6 Grande Prairie, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Robert L,

I would like to Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at our motel for two nights in September. We believe that feedback is a gift and are always pleased to receive positive feed back. I will be sure to share your comments with our team as well. We strive to provide exceptional customer service and I am sure your comments will encourage us to continue! We are an economical hotel and do try our very best to accommodate and make your stay as comfortable as possible by providing extra amenities at the desk that you may not find in your room. We are pleased that you were able to take advantage of our " Why pay extra for bells and whistles" sale and were satisfied.

Thank you again for sharing your comments with us, we hope your next stay is as pleasant as the last!

canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

we stayed in this hotel for three nights, was told we had a queen size bed, which was more like a double, the room itself was not great, bathroom fan was extremely noisy.
we were on the main floor and the hall carpet was so dirty, was disgusting. Looks like a lot of workers stay there so the noise was quite bad, with slamming heavy doors to loud talking in hall.
There was a broken case of beer by the side door for two days, no one bothered to pick it up and put it in the garbage. Was a little concerned about staying in a Motel 6, although the price was right for the north country , wont be staying in a motel 6 anytime soon. The only good part is we didnt have to spend much time in the room.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
m65709, Front Office Manager at Motel 6 Grande Prairie, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear Golfer19,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the M6 Grande Prairie. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

The carpet in the halls do look bad and down from all the mud and oil that gets trucked in with the workers. We are in the process for the 2014 capital plan at getting better flooring or new carpet to fix this appearance as we know how bad it looks. Thank you for also bringing it to my attention that there was glass by the side door for 2 days we do take pride it the appearance of our building and are sorry that this had gotten missed during your stay.

At Motel 6, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Fergus, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

Stayed for 1 night while travelling alone. This was the best value I could find in Grande Prairie and it is a nice clean hotel located just North of town. My room was small but nicely laid out and the bed was very confortable. The desk staff were friendly and check in was quick and easy. The room had a small fridge and microwave but no coffee maker, there was coffee available in the lobby though. There are not recreation or pool facilities at this hotel. I would certainly stay at this hotel again if traveling for work or without children.

My complaints are few but stand out for me. My room had a door into the next unit that allowed for quite abit of noise transfer. I could here the man in next room rather clearly on the phone and moving about. It made me very consious of what noise I was making and kept the volume on my tv very low. My second complaint is with the Internet access. They have no WiFi. Each room is hard wired for internet. I had to return to lobby to get a cable to hook up as don't travel with one. The internet was very slow by todays terms and being hard wired I could not link my smart phone to save network charges. Trying to stream videos is almost impossible. Tryed to watch a movie I rented on-line but would not load due to low internet speed. My final small comptaint is with the smell of smoke in the elevator. As some rooms/floors allow smoking the smell travels into the elevator and lingers. Not a big deal but as a non-smoker it was a bit annoying. Other than those things my stay was great and I would highly recommend this hotel for travelers looking for basic accomodations when traveling for work. I would not recommend if you have kids as there is little to keep them occupied, There are other good options closer to GP with facilities to keep kids entertained.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear FergusRob1,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay back in September. We strive to provide clean rooms and exceptional customer service and are pleased to see that you were pleased with the "Best Value you could find in Grande Prairie". Our room amenities are slim but we do try and compensate by having a limited supply of coffee makers, hair dryers, tooth paste and tooth brushes, etc. available at the desk for your convenience. The front desk is open 24/7 and would gladly assist with any questions, concerns or comments you may have during your stay.

You mentioned that your room had an adjoining door to another room that allowed for a significant amount of noise to transfer to your room. I would like to apologize for this we do have a few rooms that are located on the ends of each hall that are non-adjoining with a queen bed in each and for future reservations we would do our very best to accommodate you in one of them. We understand your frustrations with the internet access. Having hardwired internet is a inconvenience and we do have it in our 2014 business plan to update to WIFI. We do have an all smoking floor and we understand the smell of it stinks and lingers into the elevator, our smoking floor is almost full all the time, we do try our best to keep up with the air fresheners to ensure a fresh smelling atmosphere in all the lobbies of our hotel and are sorry that this was not the case during your stay.

I am glad that you were able to still enjoy your stay at our property and that you would recommend us to travelers that are looking for basic accommodations when traveling for work.

Thank you again for taking the time to tell us about your stay, we look forward to seeing you on your next travels to Grande Prairie.

- Stephanie
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

I stayed two nights at this property during September and found it to be excellent value. They advertised "No Bells and Whistles" and a price of $77.00 per night, plus tax. The room was clean, the bed comfortable and the staff friendly.This is a good economical motel to stay at and I recommend it to anyone traveling through that area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Robert L,

I would like to Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at our motel for two nights in September. We believe that feedback is a gift and are always pleased to receive positive feed back. I will be sure to share your comments with our team as well. We strive to provide exceptional customer service and I am sure your comments will encourage us to continue! We are an economical hotel and do try our very best to accommodate and make your stay as comfortable as possible by providing extra amenities at the desk that you may not find in your room. Our Front Desk is open 24/7 and our Front Desk Agents will gladly help or assist you with any questions, concerns or comments you may have during your stay. We are pleased that you were able to take advantage of our " Why pay extra for bells and whistles" sale and were satisfied.

I am pleased to hear that you would recommend us to anyone traveling through the area and look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Grande Prairie!

Beaumont, AB, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

What a breath of fresh air this hotel was! Everything that was important was great - beds were super comfortable, the room was very clean, staff were very friendly, coffee in the lobby was very much appreciated. It's great to have a place that provides what is needed but doesn't provide the "extras" that we don't tend to use anyway, but do pay for in the higher prices. It was a bit away from any restaurants, but did manage to find a place to eat without a problem.

Room Tip: We were on the main floor near the back entrance which was really convenient to our car.