This hotel bills itself as being a "luxury" option in Grande Prairie, but it fails to distinguish itself. I stayed here on a business in January 2014 and wasn't impressed.
Location: Right near the corner of Hwy 40 and 43, this is centrally located. Not really close enough to anything to walk there, but that's common in GP.
The room: Despite the fact that the girls at check-in made a big deal over the $250 fine if I smoked in the room, that room has definelty been smoked in, and someone next door wsa smoking in thier room the entire time. Luckily it was mild out and I just left the windows open most every day when I was out of the room, so the smell wasn't too bad. I was in a king room, with a second bed. Furnishings were pretty standard, aside from a very nice armchair. Bathroom was large, had a shower and a tub, which is nice.
Restaurant: it appears nobody in Grande Prairie goes for a night out at Jax. That isn't a big surprise, but don't go expecting to sample the nightlife. Waitress didn't know what beers were on tap, despite there being only three selections. Service was slow and disinterested. This is also the location of the breakfast buffet. There was an omplette station, but that wasn't operating. Standard steam-trays of bacon, sausage, pancakes, has browns and scambled eggs. Nice to have a free breakfast with that many options. Again, service was slow. I was halfway done my plate before I was asked about coffee.
Spa: I did get a chance to partake in a massage at the "L" spa in the hotel. I haven't been to other spas in GP, so I can't compare, but it was pretty nice. Fairly expense at $100 for a 60 minute massage, about the same as top end places in Calgary.
Overall, this hotel is advertised and positioned as a luxury hotel, but to me it's competing more with mid-range places like Best Western and the Pomeroy. On my next trip here, I will be chosing those options over the Podollan, as they are cheaper and about the same quality.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Reach new heights in guest comfort at Podollan Inn & Spa, Grande Prairie’s premier full-service boutique-style hotel. As an independently owned accommodation, we do things a little differently than our chain-style counterparts. Service here is a little more personal, a little more chic and a little more luxurious with each return visit. Our most recent enhancement to our collection is a trendy 65-room expansion showcasing a series of sleek, stylish bachelor rooms that feature plush King beds, contemporary furnishings and local artwork. Rounding out the guest experience are three impressive meeting rooms, the upscale Jax Grill & Lounge – home of the best steak in Grande Prairie – and The L Spa & Wellness Centre, named one of the top 25 spas in Canada. Then there are the complimentary luxuries like Wi-Fi, a hot breakfast buffet with an omelette station, a fitness room and secure, heated underground parking. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, TravelClick, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Podollan Inn & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Podollan Inn, Suites, Rez Hotel Grande Prairie
- Podollan Inn, Suites, Rez And Spa
- Podollan Inn & Spa Grande Prairie, Alberta