“Decent stay in modern but dark rooms”
Review of Podollan Inn & Spa

Podollan Inn & Spa
Ranked #4 of 26 Hotels in Grande Prairie
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one week for work a business trip with co-workers because it was recommended by others from the office. The whole hotel is very modern inside with lots of stonework on the walls and all of the rooms have modern furniture and flat screen TVs. The beds were comfortable too. However, there is one small window in each room, so it was pretty dark. If you spend a lot of time working in your room, it needs more light. The TV was annoying because there was a menu you had to scroll through each time to get to the TV channels. I like turning the TV off and having the last channel you were at to be right there the next time you turn the TV on. The bathroom had a nice enclosed shower, so there was no water all over the floor like with many hotels after a shower. The door keys usually needed 3 or 4 attempts to get the door open. For each day you declined the housekeeping service, they gave you a $5.00 coupon to use in their lounge. We got the $9.99 lunch special (wrap with soup) for $4.99 several times with the coupon. You have to use the coupon the same day...you can't accumulate them. There were a few hotties working in the lounge too! The continental breakfast was really good, for a breakfast that didn't serve hot items. There were plenty of options: multiple types of toast, bagels, muffins, strudels, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, cereal, fruit salad, apples/oranges/bananas, coffee/tea and orange or cranberry juice. The eating area was very nice, but small with only 6 booths. The TV was always on TSN at breakfast....I'd rather watch news in the morning than golf. The elevators were fast and the staff was helpful. When we got there, 3 out of 4 of us had no microwaves. They replaced mine 2 days later with a broken microwave. It was annoying going up and down to use the microwave in the breakfast area. They finally replaced the broken microwave on my second last day. The internet was good because I brought a network cable. Don't whine if the wireless internet is choppy...bring a network cable people! The parking lot around the hotel is usually full in the evenings and hard to drive in and out with a larger vehicle. There was underground parking available, but the ramp going down was SO steep! Drive in very slowly or it will cause damage. They provided daily passes to the World Gym across the street if you wanted to go for a workout. I didn't try the spa and we all stayed at the Inn, not the Residence, which is about 6 blocks away. There was a Wal-Mart and Save On Foods (my least favourite 2 grocery places) nearby. This place just needs to invest in better microwaves and maybe some more lights in their dark rooms. Otherwise, it was a very quiet, comfortable and pleasant stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

Clean rooms great under ground parking and hotel restaurant were excellent I would stay here again and highly recommend this hotel. Spa service is great and recommend using it. Thanks so much for the pleasurable experience

• Stayed: September 2012
Melanie L, Director of Sales at Podollan Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2012

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed September 11, 2012

We booked this hotel in advance of a recent trip. Enjoyed the stay, and the great breakfast provided. It is a reasonable rate for a good quality room. The staff were very kind, and helpful. they were quick to recommend the restaurants in the area.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 28, 2012

This was a quick overnight business trip and my first time staying at the Podollan. The room itself was oddly laid out and the bed/pillows were stiff and uncomfortable. My TV had a very annoying echo when on certain channels and despite trying to fix the settings on the TV it stayed there all night.

Out of convienance I made the decision to eat onsite at the Podollan's Jax Grill. The server that served me was very personable however, made it known that she was new. It was clear that she was struggling and she had received little training pn Podollan's processes/systems. While she made the best of the situation I felt bad for her. Finally about 45 minutes into my dinner another server and bartender showed up to help her. The food was average and there was loud hip hop music coming from the kitchen which was distracting. Over all not a bad place but, I doubt I would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Melanie L, Director of Sales at Podollan Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

Thank you for your feedback and for letting us know about the TV, which we will repair. For future reference, we offer a variety of pillows which can be requested from housekeeping, providing guests with comfort and options. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

I'll start by saying that I've done my fair share of reviews and I'm not usually overly critical as I tend to look past the little nuisances and take the overall picture into consideration when I write a review but there seemed to be too many things that I found unacceptable in a hotel charging $179 per night for a basic room. This is on the high side for Grande Prairie.

I stayed at this hotel for two nights.

Positives first.
-Very comfortable bedding and pillows
-Nice clean bathroom, good quality products
-Modern decor

Now the negatives.
-Terrible lighting in the rooms. It could have been my specific room, but there was no lighting overhead. The only lighting was two bedside tables lights and one light on the desk. Although that's three lights, the light bulbs were some sort of low ambient light. It barely put out any light at all. I couldn't do any work at night because I couldn't see. It was basically mood lighting. Definitely a huge problem for me.
-Internet signal was very poor and wasn't usuable at all. I was only able to use my iPad on 3G as neither it nor my laptop were able to pick up a signal. Completely unacceptable as I was there on business and couldn't send emails from my laptop for two days.
-Ironing board: What kind of hotel that has impressive decor and seems like a high end place has mini ironing boards in the rooms? They didn't even have stands. It was near impossible to iron a shirt on that ironing board and the iron was awful as well. I know the irons in hotels are all pretty much the same cheap ones but this one seemed worse than many I had seen and the small ironing board just blew me away.
-This has been mentioned before but the $3.95 tele communication charge they bill you for per day is ridiculous. They say it's a charge for the phones but it doesn't matter if you use them or not, you're charged $4 a day for nothing. It's a made up charge to squeeze extra money out of their patrons.
-This one isn't a big deal at all but the alarm clock in the room was broken. Yes I have a phone and they offer wake up calls, it's just the principle of the whole thing. When all is said and done with taxes you pay $200 a night and you can't even have a working alarm clock in the room?!?

I'm sure some people could overlook many of the negatives I've posted above and maybe at some point I would have, but being there on business and not being able to work at night due to lack of light and no internet and going to work all wrinkled leaves me no choice but to give a poor rating to a hotel that seemed so nice upon walking in.

I will say I did stay at the Podollan Rez for a couple nights a while back and was very impressed. None of the problems above were an issue there. Maybe I just had a bad room this time around, I don't know. Unfortunately I will not be returning nor will I recommend this hotel to my coworkers or others who visit GP.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank BobbyDij

“We are pleased you enjoyed the luxurious linens, contemporary décor and the Rez. In previous weeks our internet provider has experienced some technical outages and difficulties. Each of our rooms is equipped with a hard wire connection in the event of a weak internet signal and cables are available from the front desk. In comparison to other hotels and from the feedback we receive from guests, our rooms are spacious and amenities superior. As a previous guest said: “There is nothing that can even compare to what the Podollan has to offer”. We regret the inconvenience you experienced and we hope you will stay with us again.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

We stayed at the Podollan Inn for three nights at the beginning of August. We were pleased with quality of the bedding and the comfort of the bed (had stayed in the Pomeroy for one night prior to coming to the Podollan and found the beds there not as comfortable). We found the complimentary breakfast to be average but the front desk staff was pleasant and we appreciated the underground parking.

What we didn't appreciate was the 'Tele. Comm. Utility Fee' of $3.95 per day that showed up on the bill that was slid under the door prior to checkout. When we asked about this at the front desk we were informed that it was a fee specific to the Podollan Inn for phone service (local and long distance) whether you use the phone or not. After speaking with the front desk staff about this charge it was removed from the bill. Perhaps removing the complimentary water bottles and wifi would be an option instead of a surprise charge on the bill at checkout, if they're in need of money. A poor last impression. We won't be back.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank yoda458
Melanie L, Director of Sales at Podollan Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2012

Thank you for your comments and we will consider your suggestions. We are delighted you enjoyed our premium beds and linens. Our pillow top beds and hypoallergenic beds are one of our finest amenities, along with our linens, down pillows & duvets. We pride ourselves on excellent customer service to address the requests of our guests. We hope you will come again, possibly during the winter, when you will really appreciate our complimentary secure underground parking. It’s heated - a welcome amenity during those cold winter months in Grande Prairie.

Reviewed July 24, 2012

This was an overnight business trip. The hotel had called to confirm my booking, thankfully they did, I had booked for a day earlier than needed. The hotel corrected my booking error. My booking had been done online. The room was nice, bed comfortable and it was quiet. Would stay again.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business