I'll start by saying that I've done my fair share of reviews and I'm not usually overly critical as I tend to look past the little nuisances and take the overall picture into consideration when I write a review but there seemed to be too many things that I found unacceptable in a hotel charging $179 per night for a basic room. This is on the high side for Grande Prairie.
I stayed at this hotel for two nights.
-Very comfortable bedding and pillows
-Nice clean bathroom, good quality products
Now the negatives.
-Terrible lighting in the rooms. It could have been my specific room, but there was no lighting overhead. The only lighting was two bedside tables lights and one light on the desk. Although that's three lights, the light bulbs were some sort of low ambient light. It barely put out any light at all. I couldn't do any work at night because I couldn't see. It was basically mood lighting. Definitely a huge problem for me.
-Internet signal was very poor and wasn't usuable at all. I was only able to use my iPad on 3G as neither it nor my laptop were able to pick up a signal. Completely unacceptable as I was there on business and couldn't send emails from my laptop for two days.
-Ironing board: What kind of hotel that has impressive decor and seems like a high end place has mini ironing boards in the rooms? They didn't even have stands. It was near impossible to iron a shirt on that ironing board and the iron was awful as well. I know the irons in hotels are all pretty much the same cheap ones but this one seemed worse than many I had seen and the small ironing board just blew me away.
-This has been mentioned before but the $3.95 tele communication charge they bill you for per day is ridiculous. They say it's a charge for the phones but it doesn't matter if you use them or not, you're charged $4 a day for nothing. It's a made up charge to squeeze extra money out of their patrons.
-This one isn't a big deal at all but the alarm clock in the room was broken. Yes I have a phone and they offer wake up calls, it's just the principle of the whole thing. When all is said and done with taxes you pay $200 a night and you can't even have a working alarm clock in the room?!?
I'm sure some people could overlook many of the negatives I've posted above and maybe at some point I would have, but being there on business and not being able to work at night due to lack of light and no internet and going to work all wrinkled leaves me no choice but to give a poor rating to a hotel that seemed so nice upon walking in.
I will say I did stay at the Podollan Rez for a couple nights a while back and was very impressed. None of the problems above were an issue there. Maybe I just had a bad room this time around, I don't know. Unfortunately I will not be returning nor will I recommend this hotel to my coworkers or others who visit GP.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Podollan Inn & Spa is the finest luxury boutique hotel in Grande Prairie. We offer premium amenities, including spacious suites and stunning black tile bathrooms, complimentary secure high speed wireless internet, complimentary deluxe hot breakfast with an egg and omelette station, and complimentary heated and secure underground parking. The Podollan Inn & Spa is a smoke free property. For extended stays, enjoy the comforts of the Podollan Rez-idence, a short drive away, with all the same luxurious amenities and full size stainless steel appliances in premium kitchens. Relax at the end of the day at Jax Grill & Lounge and the award winning L Spa and Wellness Centre, both located at the Podollan Inn & Spa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Cheap Tickets and Cancelon so you can book your Podollan Inn & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Podollan Inn, Suites, Rez Hotel Grande Prairie
- Podollan Inn, Suites, Rez And Spa
- Podollan Inn & Spa Grande Prairie, Alberta