“This hotel is so close but still so far away”
Review of Podollan Inn & Spa

Podollan Inn & Spa
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in Grande Prairie
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I'll start by saying that I've done my fair share of reviews and I'm not usually overly critical as I tend to look past the little nuisances and take the overall picture into consideration when I write a review but there seemed to be too many things that I found unacceptable in a hotel charging $179 per night for a basic room. This is on the high side for Grande Prairie.

I stayed at this hotel for two nights.

Positives first.
-Very comfortable bedding and pillows
-Nice clean bathroom, good quality products
-Modern decor

Now the negatives.
-Terrible lighting in the rooms. It could have been my specific room, but there was no lighting overhead. The only lighting was two bedside tables lights and one light on the desk. Although that's three lights, the light bulbs were some sort of low ambient light. It barely put out any light at all. I couldn't do any work at night because I couldn't see. It was basically mood lighting. Definitely a huge problem for me.
-Internet signal was very poor and wasn't usuable at all. I was only able to use my iPad on 3G as neither it nor my laptop were able to pick up a signal. Completely unacceptable as I was there on business and couldn't send emails from my laptop for two days.
-Ironing board: What kind of hotel that has impressive decor and seems like a high end place has mini ironing boards in the rooms? They didn't even have stands. It was near impossible to iron a shirt on that ironing board and the iron was awful as well. I know the irons in hotels are all pretty much the same cheap ones but this one seemed worse than many I had seen and the small ironing board just blew me away.
-This has been mentioned before but the $3.95 tele communication charge they bill you for per day is ridiculous. They say it's a charge for the phones but it doesn't matter if you use them or not, you're charged $4 a day for nothing. It's a made up charge to squeeze extra money out of their patrons.
-This one isn't a big deal at all but the alarm clock in the room was broken. Yes I have a phone and they offer wake up calls, it's just the principle of the whole thing. When all is said and done with taxes you pay $200 a night and you can't even have a working alarm clock in the room?!?

I'm sure some people could overlook many of the negatives I've posted above and maybe at some point I would have, but being there on business and not being able to work at night due to lack of light and no internet and going to work all wrinkled leaves me no choice but to give a poor rating to a hotel that seemed so nice upon walking in.

I will say I did stay at the Podollan Rez for a couple nights a while back and was very impressed. None of the problems above were an issue there. Maybe I just had a bad room this time around, I don't know. Unfortunately I will not be returning nor will I recommend this hotel to my coworkers or others who visit GP.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank BobbyDij
Melanie L, Director of Sales at Podollan Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

“We are pleased you enjoyed the luxurious linens, contemporary décor and the Rez. In previous weeks our internet provider has experienced some technical outages and difficulties. Each of our rooms is equipped with a hard wire connection in the event of a weak internet signal and cables are available from the front desk. In comparison to other hotels and from the feedback we receive from guests, our rooms are spacious and amenities superior. As a previous guest said: “There is nothing that can even compare to what the Podollan has to offer”. We regret the inconvenience you experienced and we hope you will stay with us again.

There are newer reviews for Podollan Inn & Spa

Reviewed August 7, 2012

We stayed at the Podollan Inn for three nights at the beginning of August. We were pleased with quality of the bedding and the comfort of the bed (had stayed in the Pomeroy for one night prior to coming to the Podollan and found the beds there not as comfortable). We found the complimentary breakfast to be average but the front desk staff was pleasant and we appreciated the underground parking.

What we didn't appreciate was the 'Tele. Comm. Utility Fee' of $3.95 per day that showed up on the bill that was slid under the door prior to checkout. When we asked about this at the front desk we were informed that it was a fee specific to the Podollan Inn for phone service (local and long distance) whether you use the phone or not. After speaking with the front desk staff about this charge it was removed from the bill. Perhaps removing the complimentary water bottles and wifi would be an option instead of a surprise charge on the bill at checkout, if they're in need of money. A poor last impression. We won't be back.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank yoda458
Melanie L, Director of Sales at Podollan Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2012

Thank you for your comments and we will consider your suggestions. We are delighted you enjoyed our premium beds and linens. Our pillow top beds and hypoallergenic beds are one of our finest amenities, along with our linens, down pillows & duvets. We pride ourselves on excellent customer service to address the requests of our guests. We hope you will come again, possibly during the winter, when you will really appreciate our complimentary secure underground parking. It’s heated - a welcome amenity during those cold winter months in Grande Prairie.

Reviewed July 24, 2012

This was an overnight business trip. The hotel had called to confirm my booking, thankfully they did, I had booked for a day earlier than needed. The hotel corrected my booking error. My booking had been done online. The room was nice, bed comfortable and it was quiet. Would stay again.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 7, 2012

I stay here once every couple months. The staff is great, rooms clean and underground parking is a secure option.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed May 28, 2012

In a city in need of something a little upscale my stay was disappointing.
A coffee maker with no pot for 3 days. Extremely poor to one day of almost no housekeeping.
The Satellite TV worked in only one room. The front desk staff were friendly and helpful but could not make up for all that was lacking.

Room Tip: Only stayed once so not enough info
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Melanie L, Manager at Podollan Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2012

We appreciate you taking the time to comment and we apologize that the housekeeping service was not up to its usual high standards. We are following up to improve. We are pleased to hear that our front desk staff was friendly and helpful. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed May 5, 2012

I stay in Grande Prairie often weeks at a time for work related stays. Love the Rez....to be able to cook your own meals was a godsend...Richard the night manager is Amazing with a capital A...he is such an asset to this company.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 27, 2012

Because of the boom in Grande Prairie there is a strong demand for rooms. I can tell the Podollan was built to meet that. Not cheap but then again what is in Grande Prairie?

I had a good night at the hotel, the bed was wonderful and the room worked well.

The free morning breakfast buffet was least to be desired. There are few seats for such a large hotel and simple items like milk for cereal and condiments were not available. Other guests had to find staff to get it out, this was at 7am.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business