“Great Personal Service and Hospitality”

Clearwater Suite Hotel
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Fort McMurray
GreenLeadersBronze level
Calgary, Canada
“Great Personal Service and Hospitality”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I stayed at the Clearwater Suites Hotel every week for 6 months. I found the staff to be VERY friendly and accommodating. It is the small things, like remembering your name, ensuring that you have ongoing reservations and the friendly smiles in the morning that made this my "home away from home"

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the Highway. Ft Mac never sleeps and you won't if you face the highway. Ot...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Jean-Marc G, General Manager at Clearwater Suite Hotel, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Dear Guest. Thank you so much for taking the time to pass on your comments which I proudly will pass on to our Team. We will continue to persevere in being the most hospitable Hotel in our region and we value your on going support and patronage. We hope to welcome you back very soon! Jean-Marc Guillamot

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
London, Canada
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We enjoyed the suite we were in. It was clean, spacious & well thought out. The room included a full size fridge, hotplate, dishwasher & a washer & dryer. The beds were comfy, the room warm despite the -40 temperatures outside.

We wouldn't hesitate to stay there again as long as we got a room farther from the road.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest. Thank you for passing on your comments on your last stay with us. Our hard working Team appreciates feed back positive or not so we continue to strive to be the favorite choice of Travellers when coming to Fort McMurray. We appreciate to hear your concern on the noise for rooms closed to the highway. We are looking at retrofitting window frames and glass to a better sound proof level. We hope to welcome you back in the nearest future. Jean-Marc Guillamot- General Manager.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed November 9, 2012

The front desk is very friendly and helpful, even the cleaning and utility staff would go out of their way. The rooms are comfortable for long stays, and have balconies which is an added bonus. The front desk can scrape up a toaster oven if you need to bake something, again, just very accommodating. While I was there the treadmill needed to be serviced, they didn't know how long it would take, after the second time I checked in about it they had a treadmill from another property delivered to be used in the interim. I was very impressed and felt very looked after far from home. Close to amenities, I was they for 2-3 months at a time and would recommend this to anyone travelling to Fort Mac.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank zostarks
Jean-Marc G, General Manager at Clearwater Suite Hotel, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Dear Guest. Thank you for your most valuable feedback on your recent stay. I will for sure pass on your comments to our Team and all concerned. We value your on going support and we will continue to work even more diligently to be your first choice of accommodation while travelling to Fort McMurray. Jean-Marc Guillamot - General Manager.
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I realize that you don’t usually pick your hotels based on their breakfast fare but this is something that has made me want to never come back to stay. We usually stay at this hotel for a week at a time every month between May to Oct. No complaints on the room, the customer service and the facility. Like many hotels, Clear Water offers hot breakfast, apparently the bar/restaurant is not under the same management as Clear Water. You have the option of either going down for the “hot” breakfast or getting $7 voucher for food at the bar. The breakfast is nothing to write home about, fruit loops, toast, packaged oatmeal, over/undercooked sausage and liquid eggs. The part that bothers me and most of my co-workers is not the food so much but the scrutiny of our every move by “the breakfast police”. I call her the breakfast police because she patrols the place, taking note of your every move. There are signs everywhere telling you that you CANNOT bring food outside of the restaurant, not even if you want to eat it in your room, signs telling you that you will be charged for food if you take it out of the restaurant, in fact she even has a price list of all the breakfast items so that she can tell you that you owe her $5 for a bagel if you take it out of the restaurant. I have never been to a hotel where someone literally sits there and watch you eat your entire breakfast and comments that you can’t bring a bagel out with you because you want to finish your breakfast IN YOUR ROOM. No one is there to take advantage of the free breakfast (seriously!) and I think most people refer to have the freedom of eating their complimentary breakfast wherever they chose. She makes our mornings so unpleasant that we’ve started bringing our own breakfast. I think rather than giving us $7 credit to her bar/restaurant (plus they don’t have a menu for lunch or dinner, they have a deep fryer and can only make deep fried food), I think Clear Water should reimburse me $7 if I don’t want to eat my complimentary breakfast. It’s not so much the $7 since the room itself is well over $200, it’s the principal of the matter and I don’t want see my money going to support someone who ruins my mornings and controls where/what to eat for breakfast.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank DA_SK_3
Jean-Marc G, General Manager at Clearwater Suite Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear Guest. I sincerely apologize for the service you received in our Breakfast area. As you know since you are one of our regular guest this service is leased out. But nevertheless you, as a guest, should receive the same level of service as elsewhere in our operation. I forwarded immediately your comment to the leased operator and asked him to come back to me with a thorough " service Action Plan" to alleviate such attitude and lack of professionalism. This is a matter we are following through on a day to day basis and we will not accept such behavior as we will take all steps in our control to correct this issue. I certainly hope this will not deter you to be our guests now and in the future and rest assured these types of comments will be monitored closely as we will not hesitate to elevate these matters to proper legal channels. Thank you! Jean-Marc Guillamot General Manager.
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I was booked in at The Clearwater Suite Hotel in Fort McMurray by Alberta Health Services whilst working at the North Zone Regional Health Centre for a month. Only a few minutes from the hospital it was very conveniently located.

I am a South African resident and was delighted by this hotel.

I found the accommodation first class and the staff outstanding and friendly.

The kitchenette was excellent apart from the fact that there was no ordinary oven for baking.

The washer and dryer was wonderful for my laundry requirements.

I will strongly recommend staying here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Arendvdh
JeanMarcGuillamot, General Manager at Clearwater Suite Hotel, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
Dear Guest, Thank you for your comments which I will communicate to our entire Team. Our guests certainly appreciate the comfort, location and amenities our Suites offer to travellers and especially "long term" stay guests. But our Team will continue to work diligently to perfect our great sense of Hospitality and we are most aware this is a constant challenge in our industry. We thank you for your support and kind words! We certainly hope yo have once again the pleasure to be your "host" of choice next time you are travelling in our region.Jean-Marc Guillamot-General Manager.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Stayed here for a night while on work. Really great, polite staff.
Staff went out of their way to give me directions for my morning meeting. Centreally located, and in walking distance to most things that one might want or need to walk to (for a place like this, it's most likely a franchise restaurant).
Clean, reliable digs. Consistent wifi coverage indoors. The airconditioner made a weird hydraulic sound through the night. The cleaning stuff they used made the tiled floors sticky, but no complaints other than that.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest, Thank you for your comments and we appreciate your feed back and recommendations. I will adress with Housekeeping and our purchasing department the issue of the cleaning product used and we will certainly correct this concern immediately. I will as well discuss the Air Conditionning issue with our Maintenance Manager. We especially installed a centralized A/C to reduce noise opposed to the reguar windows A/C Heat most hotels commonly have and likely a pipe may have gotten loose with time and caused this unfortunate "rattle". Rest assured, this will be corrected immediately! We hope to count you among our guests once again on your next visit while travelling to our city in the foreseable future. Jean-Marc Guillamot General Manager.
Okanagan Valley, Canada
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I recently stayed in the Timberlea location of this hotel. The Timberlea location is the monthly-stay building run by the same staff. The suites were new, clean, and well-furnished. The manager was organized, on-time, and friendly. The housekeeping staff are good, but the schedule seems to change often. Sometimes cleaning is missed or at odd times.

The bedrooms are decent, but let in a great deal of light and noise at night. There are metal blinds, but no curtains to block out the sun in the summertime or during shift work. Also, the building is wood-framed, and is on a larger, loud street.

Many of the amenities are still being installed, such as the wi-fi. There is no gym or business centre on-site, and I often had to go to staples downtown to get documents scanned and printed. If you require access to a gym and business centre, make sure to book into the downtown building rather than Timberlea. There is also no breakfast or daily housekeeping (housekeeping is twice a week). If you are depending on a service that seen advertised by the Clearwater Suite Hotel, be aware that most of these amenities are not offered in the Timberlea building.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest. Thank you for your most constructive comments on your recent stay at our new addition to our portfolio of Hotels in FortMcMurray. This Condo Hotel Rezidence under our Management since June 1st, is intentionaly set up as a Long Term Stay Type of Condos. But we will stress both on our Web site and upon check in what services it entails. We have adressed the Blind lack of Black Curtains and our designer is presently looking in this matter and we will be looking to get a "preffered Guest Program" through a Gym located 5mn walk from this property. I will stress through internal and external communication the difference between both "Clearwater" and I thank you for your feed back and recommendations. We hope you still be using our Hotels whenever you are planning your next visit in our region. Jean-Marc Guillamot