“Radisson is a new building; staff are not experienced” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Radisson Hotel & Suites Fort McMurray

Radisson Hotel & Suites Fort McMurray
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Fort McMurray
“Radisson is a new building; staff are not experienced”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2007

I stayed 5 nights at Fort McMurray Radisson. It's a relatively new building; 5 floors with 2 elevators. Lots of parking.

The pool area with waterslide and a hot tub, which apparently reopened in late Jul, is at the far end. The pool is not for doing laps. A 24 hour fitness room is on the 2nd floor. Fitness equipment includes a treadmill, eliptical, stationery bike, and a 3 point fitness station. There’s a water cooler and room air conditioner, but no fan – and the only windows are sealed, looking down at the pool.

As mentioned by the other poster, the lobby looks ridiculous with it’s fake luxury, and in the guest rooms, the colour green is used extensively. Rooms have a large desk, and the walls have 3 large pictures with mountain scenes. Bathroom is a little bigger than typical, with the bathroom door that opens out, not in. There’s a hair dryer. Struck me odd that, for a room with 2 beds, that there were only 2 of each towel.

Rooms all have a barsize fridge, coffeemaker, iron & board, inroom safe. Beds are good quality. Rooms look out at the roadway/McDonalds across the street, or onto miles of forests behind. Windows are sealed. Air conditioning worked well.

There’s free wired High-Speed Internet in the rooms, blue cable for it is at the front desk. No “business centre”. If you want a free Edmonton paper, you’ll need to pick it up in the lobby. The area this hotel is in is just outside of town and not pedestrian friendly.

Staff are, in a word, pathetic. My express checkin package wasn’t fully prepared, and they made me "sign here, initial there". When I later called to ask about breakfast, they couldn’t tell me if the free continental breakfast was self-serve (and they made no effort to find out). Another time, I called to ask about the pool; they put me on perma-hold (and of course never called back). The night before I checked out, I looked at my bill on the tv screen. I called the desk to tell them they were charging me the wrong rate; they were going to leave the issue for the mgr in the morning.

There’s an onsite restaurant – dark brown with ridiculously high ceilings - with limited hours. A lounge next to it. All non-smoking. When I went for the free breakfast, I stood for some time by the 2 signs that stated “please wait to be seated”. When I then walked to the kitchen to find someone, a server – once she knew I was there for the continental breakfast – quickly explained how it works and have a seat anywhere. Breakfast food is placed on the only 3 tables that aren’t a booth in the restaurant section. Pastries/muffins, coffee, tea. Large pitchers of various juices. What ticked me off is the “presentation”. You have to take plastic wrap that covers the group of baked goods. The breakfast in indeed continental; there’s no cereal/milk/yogurt/bread. There’s a small basket of fruit, but the bananas were seriously over-ripe.

• Liked — New hotel
  • Disliked — Untrained staff, but that's not uncommon in Ft McMurray
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2007

On the plus side, fairly new property. Lobby looked real fake luxury, and was out of place in the near north, rooms were OK but kind of grey/green.

Fort McMurray is not a tourist destination, but a booming oil sands town with severe labour shortages which impact upon the service provided to me during a six night stay 6-12 Mar 07.

Pool was receiving service and the hot tub dry during my whole stay.

First night the bed linens ie coverlet and blanket were soiled/stained with crusty yellow matter which I did not notice until the next morning, after a night where this filth was next to my face. Ugh! Another day, my obviously soiled linen was not changed, so I switched beds. Another day, the maid service forgot to put bath towels and a bath mat into my room after they replaced same, which I noticed after I was in the shower, leaving me with a runty little hand towel to dry off with.

The room was excessively hot, forcing me to use the AC on nights when it was well below freezing! I believe there must have been heat in the floors or walls, as I never had the wall unit on in heat mode, and it was still 27C in my room.

Smoking may be allowed in bars here, but IMHO this does not include staff, four of whom were puffing like chimenies in a corner. Demand they smoke elsewhere ie outside.

Restaurant good food, reasonable, but in a hotel claiming three and a half stars I should not be asked if I want a glass with my bottled beer.

I was in a handicapped room my first two nights and was asked to move night three, OK fine. I went down to the front desk that morning and asked to move my baggage into my new room, even if the room was not cleaned. That was not possible, so I specifically told the desk my fridge also had food items that required movement as well. "No problem " was the answer. Of course the food never made it to the new room, nor could they find it. This was not scraps, but unopened 2 litres of OJ, unopened salad, a bottle of dressing, bagels, sliced meats, pesto sauce, and my plastic containers. $25 was offered, but I had to go back downtown to buy more, and certainly did not cover the inconvenience or the utensils they threw out or stole.

Last three nights I paid cash up front, $460 which gace me back about $6 change. Much to my surprise when I went to check out they had raised the rate to $154 a night plus tax, and wanted another $49 to cover. I was a little peeved by this point and refused to pay, stating I paid in full three nights earlier.

Hint, if not driving a car, the bus stops right across the street-$1.25 cash gets you to and from downtown, a real deal IMHO compared to $12 for the taxi.

1 Thank a78jumper