“Series of unfortunate events”

Radisson Hotel & Suites Fort McMurray
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Fort McMurray
Edmonton, Canada
“Series of unfortunate events”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

I've stayed at the Radisson before and the experience has been usually good.

This time, I was very dissapointed. The room that I got was a smoking room. I booked online and wasn't informed that it was smoking. I am a non-smoker and I was not happy with it.

The staff tried to find another room for me, but there was none available as the hotel was full that night (wednesday). The room reeked of smoke and I had no place to go. They volunteered to find me another hotel, but there was no good hotels with any vacancy. I was not going to stay at a roach motel so I stayed.

Next, the fridge in my room did not work. I had gone to the grocery store to buy some snacks to put in the fridge. When the room attendant came to see what happened, he confirmed it was broken. Since there were no free rooms, they couldnt swap me any free fridges.

I had to bring my stuff to the front desk for them to put it in their staff fridge.

Through this whole ordeal, the staff was very friendly. There was never any problem with the service I received.

I'm quite dissapointed that this hotel still allows smoking rooms. It definetley brings down the experience for visiting guests and makes the hotel seem like it has lower standards.

In the future, I do not think that I will stay at the Radisson based on this experience.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask about non-smoking rooms.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Mark P, General Manager at Radisson Hotel & Suites Fort McMurray, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Thank you very much for your comments, and while I am glad that our staff tried everything they could to recover from these unfortunate events, I apologize that any of them happened in the first place.

I am pleased to be able to tell you that we will be undergoing significant renovations through the next 12 months, and among many improvements that will be made, our existing inventory of smoking rooms is slated to be removed and converted to non-smoking rooms.

As a further result of your comments we have ordered some back-up firdge and microwave units, in case this kind of thing should ever happen again.

Thank you again, and I hope that we might see you here in the future, where perhaps we can make up for this series of unfortunate events.

Yours in Hospitality,

Mark Perry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2012

This was our third or fourth stay in the past couple of years. We stay on weekends to visit family. The rates are much lower Fri/Sat than other days of the week. We only dealt with front desk staff. They were friendly and professional. We asked for and received a free upgrade to a 'family room' on check in (it has a separate extra bed room attached to a regular room, with another queen bed and TV). There is free coffee in the morning, and free newspapers. They used to have big free cookies, but no more. I understand ownership changed, and it looks like they sadly canned the cookies. The family room was nice, but there was only a desk in the second bedroom - the main bed room with the 2 beds only had the standard TV console/chest and a side chair with a floor lamp. The chair and lamp could really use a small table in the grouping. There was a night table shared between the beds. The sleep number beds worked as advertised and were comfy. The room and bathroom were clean. The hot tube wasn't working, but after putting it on the survey they sent me afterwards, the GM said "parts are on order". It's a good place to stay for the price range.

Room Tip: The rooms at the back are a bit quieter than those at the front, but on weekends non are very noisy.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

The Radisson would be convenient for those heading to a near by industrial park but not much else. It isn't too far from the airport nor downtown but isn't particularly close to either.
The rooms are clean and attractive. Counter staff always seem vaguely lost but are pleasant enough as long as you don't need anything.
The phone in our room didn't work but we didn't bother to change.
The sleep number bed convinced us we don't want to buy one just because of the movement when someone gets off or on.
The food in the restaurant is pretty good, but we heard it has recently been bought out so it will be interesting to see how it changes. The food doesn't quite match the prices in the restaurant but this is Fort MacMurry. The pub has good bar food and both the restaurant and pub had passable service.

• Stayed February 2012
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2011

Lots of parking available if you go to back of hotel. Easy check in/out. Restaurant and bar in hotel. Nice turn down service. I stay here a few times a year when in for business. Sleep number beds but some do not work with the remote. For the past few years this has been the best place I have found to stay in Fort McMurray. Don't expect it to be great just that other places are worse.

Room Tip: 4th floor away from elevator.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2011

This hotel has an old fashioned feel to it, rather country charm. So if you like the country style of decorating then this is the place for you. I did not know I was getting a suite until I got to the room and that was a really nice surprise. I think the hotel would do well with better lighting so as to brighten the dark colors. The bathroom was clean enough. The highlight was all the special soaps and lotions that I really liked. Overall the room was acceptable but dated with older television sets within bulky wood displays. This takes away from the larger size of the room. The kidney shaped pool with the water slide entry gave a more wavy feel and was enjoyable. The hot tub jets were not working but it was warm enough. The staff are not as hospitable as I am used to. They seemed to be stressed by their many guests though there did not seem to be many there. One of the clerks was more friendly so it could just have been a bad day for them. The restaurant was closed Sunday at 10 in the morning for the entire day which was totally unexpected and inconvenient. There was no offer of a free breakfast which would have been appreciated with a 3 night stay and made it a more beneficial stay.

Room Tip: Not so good to be at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2011

Was very nice to be remembered, was surprised and pleased that they had me set up in the room that I like....that was awesome !
Four of us had dinner in the dining room, food was great and so was the service, nothing rushed with lots of time between courses !
I like the fact that you can entertain clients in the booths and still have privacy.
Will be back for sure....keep up the great work !

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Manager033, General Manager at Radisson Hotel & Suites Fort McMurray, responded to this review, August 25, 2011
Thank you very much for your kind comments, they are appreciated by our entire team.
I was very glad to hear that our front office team not only remembered you but also the room type that you prefer.
I am happy to know that you enjoyed your visit at The Aurora Bar & Grill, under the direction of our new Chef it is doing very well and our guests are appreciative of the new menu items, we are continuing with our improvments in that area so watch for many exciting changes to come.
Thank you again for the encouraging words, they are most helpful as we strive to make each visit a memorable experience.
Island of Hawaii, Hawaii
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

Poorly run business. I heard managers complaining about employees, I heard employees complain about employees.. When I got to the desk a very rude service Lady named Jen was EXTREMELY rude to me. Like ME.. a paying customer should feel badly about coming into a hotel.
So sorry for the inconvenience of checking in. Geez.
For me personally when I walk into a business... ANY kind of business, I don't like to hear that negative bashing going on. This is supposed to be a five star hotel. So COMPLETELY unprofessional. Like.. honestly. I checked out two days early and checked into the Sawridge. So everyone.. stay at the Sawridge it was fantastic. Avoid the Radisson at ALL COSTS.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 29217Veronica
Manager033, General Manager at Radisson Hotel & Suites Fort McMurray, responded to this review, August 19, 2011
On behalf of myself and our entire team I wanted to apologize for the service you encountered during your recent visit to Fort McMurray.
I can assure you that you are not an inconvenience, you the guest are the reason our hotel continues to operate.
I would personally like to know more, so that I am able to correct the issues, to ensure that what you encountered is never repeated.
We take pride in our hotel and the service that we offer to our guests, it is my hope that I have the opportunity to apologize to you in person.
If you have a moment to discuss your visit, you can reach me at gm@radissonfortmcmurray.com.