“Avoid” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Fort McMurray
Calgary, Canada
“Avoid”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

I am staying here as I write. I am in the second building, the extended stay "Rez".
The Internet is almost non existant. If you buy a cable and hook up to the wired LAN it is almost tolerable. I have asked many times in the last 2 weeks to get this fixed but it has so far been ignored with vague promises.
The cleaning is non-existent. I pay $260 a day before all the various taxes and the best they can do is carry out my garbage. I phoned front desk once and asked if a hoover could be run round the room, it was, but I feel that should not be a special request.Bed has been changed once in 2 weeks, by special request. The rooms are OK, kitchen pretty well appointed, TV's are a joke. Actually there is one flat screen but I cant hook an HDMI into it because of the way it has been bolted to the wall. The other 2 TV's are 1980's and the reception is faint snow at very best. Haven't even turned on the flat screen because of the crap programming in Canada, but that is another issue.

My room overlooked the street at ground level and was missing a bit of curtain, and also insulation, so every noise from outside was heard. It was the beginning of winter so I had a constant draft coming in the window. The fireplace in the room did not work. etc.etc. Dont stay here!!
I am staying here with colleagues in 6 rooms. We have made alternate arrangements for our return visit next month at the Merit...newer and hopefully better organised. A loss of about $2000 a day to this "hotel"

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Melanie L, Director of Sales at Podollan Inn, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. Our tech people have been working on the internet to resolve the problem. We apologize for the inconvenience. Given that the Residence is for extended stays, we have found that daily housekeeping services is not always necessary. However, we are more than happy to provide daily service. We appreciate your feedback and we are reviewing your comments with our management team. We sincerely hope to see you soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Edmonton, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

For the money you pay and the service you get, I would recommend avoiding this place. The internet doesn't work most days. For $300 you get no internet, your room is not cleaned unless you stay 4 or more days, There were moths in the room, the TV's are from the 80's the front desk staff is nice but useless as they have no power being foreign workers.. I could go on but I , the end result is only stay here if you absolutely have to.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Melanie L, Director of Sales at Podollan Inn, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
We recently had some technical problems with the internet which were beyond our control. Rooms at the Inn are cleaned on a daily basis. Suites at the Rez for extended stays receive housekeeping service every four days and guests may request housekeeping more frequently. All our guest rooms and suites have flat screen TVs except for a few individual rooms in the Rez. We continue to update these. We hope you will try us again.
Vernon, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2012

I have stayed at many luxurious hotels around the world. When my husband told me we were going to Fort McMurray for business I was skeptial about the accomodations. I had heard that it was an oil town. I heard that it was dirty and I was expecting the accomdations to sub-par; I was expecting the worst. We pulled up the the Podollan Inn and I was more than pleasantly surprised!! It was modern,clean and friendly. The rooms were better than well kept and no detail was missed. I logged on to my internet with no problem...for no extra cost!! unheard of in a high-end downtown room!! There was free water for the taking ( I have paid $8.00/bottle in a downtown Vancouver room). The beds were comfortable, the sheets and duvets were like home and it was quiet and well equipped with an iron and fridge. In the evening we went down to the Podollan Pub and enjoyed great food and friendly staff.

In the morning I got up and showered and went downstairs to a complimentary breakfast that was much better than expected. The staff was so friendly and the area was clean. My husband and I enjoyed a lovely breakfast before we set out for another day of work.

Thank you so much for such a great experience in Fort McMurray I would recommend this hotel and pub to anyone and everyone!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Kathryn G
Melanie L, Director of Sales at Podollan Inn, responded to this review, May 17, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful remarks, which we have shared with staff. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Podollan Inn Fort McMurray!
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2012 via mobile

I travel to Fort McMurray every couple of months on business and the Podollan has become my hotel of choice. The beds are very very comfortable, the rooms are large and always clean. I have ate in the pub quite a few times, the podchos are awesome! Never had an issue with the Internet.

Only complaint that I have had with the hotel is not being able to get into the underground parkade because a staff member took the last spot in the middle of winter.

Podollan is always my first choice in Fort McMurray.

Stayed January 2012
Melanie L, Director of Sales at Podollan Inn, responded to this review, March 29, 2012
We are delighted that the Podollan Inn is your hotel of choice. Thank you for bringing the parking to our attention. Management will review its parking policy for hotel staff. Warm Regards, Melanie Tighe-Lovsin
Hay River, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2012

We're currently staying at the Podollan Inn and it's been awesome so far! Booked online for $149 for a King Executive room...seems to be one of the more affordable options in Fort Mac. Check in was very quick and painless...two minutes max! Got room cards which also let you in to the free heated underground parking - major bonus!

Room (4020) is huge and clean, with more than adequate kitchenette including table & two chairs, desk area with phone, flat screen tv, king bed with down duvet and the comfiest mattress I've ever slept on. Bathroom is average, but no tub just a large tiled shower. There is also a second sink and mirror area outside the bathroom so two people can easily get ready at the same time. Room is spotless and looks recently renovated.

The common areas are clean and nicely done...lots of warm brick accents.

Staff are friendly and pleasant. Place is very quiet for a hotel on a Saturday night in Fort Mac.

We ate at the Podollan Pub and had a pretty good meal. It's a typical sports pub that was very busy tonight because of the UFC fights coming on, but not too raucous or loud...yet, lol. We shared the platter of appies which was tasty, but a little spendy for what we got ($29 for a few wings, dry ribs, spring rolls, calamari, and a very small serving of bruschetta). We also had the steak sandwich which was really good ($17) and the buffalo burger ($14), which again was good but a little sloppy. Both meals came with homecut fries (included) and mushrooms and onions (extra). With two cokes, two beers, and a cosmopolitan, the meal came to $98 which was more than we would've liked, but not unlike others restaurants in the area. Server was great, and overall it was a good experience...we'd go back, but skip the platter.

Peter Pond Mall, Walmart and many others shops and restaurants are within five minutes drive.

We'll likely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012
Kelowna, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2010

I have travelled to Fort McMurray many times for business and stayed in various places, but I have found the Podollan Inn is the best up here. The very large LCD tv's are my favorite, the beds are comfortable and the rooms are clean. The hotel also houses the Podollan Pub and I highly recommend it for an amazing steak or to entertain clients or customers. We had a blast with our server and all of us really enjoyed our meals. I'll be back!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
podollan, General Manager at Podollan Inn, responded to this review, November 24, 2011
From all the management and staff at the Podollan Inns & Rez-idence, we truly appreciate your feedback and hope to be your hotel of choice when you visit Fort McMurray.
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2010

The Podollan Inn seems to be a decent enough choice for someone looking for a clean, comfortable place to stay in Fort Mac. I arrived well before the 3 p.m. check in time but had no problems getting into my room with the help of the friendly front desk agent. Though I didn't use it, the front desk gave me a ten dollar voucher for the hotel pub.

The rooms are spacious, with a small kitchenette and seating area. The washroom is quite large, though there is only a walk-in shower with a curtain vs a tub. The hotel provides plenty of toiletries and some free coffee in the room. Underground parking would be especially welcome during the winter.

I had a small hiccup with being overcharged by the hotel and I didn't detect it until a few days later. However, it was taken care of very quickly with one phone call.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business