“Hotel of choice in Fort McMurray” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Podollan Inn

Podollan Inn
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Fort McMurray
Calgary, Canada
“Hotel of choice in Fort McMurray”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2012 via mobile

I travel to Fort McMurray every couple of months on business and the Podollan has become my hotel of choice. The beds are very very comfortable, the rooms are large and always clean. I have ate in the pub quite a few times, the podchos are awesome! Never had an issue with the Internet.

Only complaint that I have had with the hotel is not being able to get into the underground parkade because a staff member took the last spot in the middle of winter.

Podollan is always my first choice in Fort McMurray.

Stayed January 2012
Melanie L, Director of Sales at Podollan Inn, responded to this review, March 29, 2012
We are delighted that the Podollan Inn is your hotel of choice. Thank you for bringing the parking to our attention. Management will review its parking policy for hotel staff. Warm Regards, Melanie Tighe-Lovsin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Hay River, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2012

We're currently staying at the Podollan Inn and it's been awesome so far! Booked online for $149 for a King Executive room...seems to be one of the more affordable options in Fort Mac. Check in was very quick and painless...two minutes max! Got room cards which also let you in to the free heated underground parking - major bonus!

Room (4020) is huge and clean, with more than adequate kitchenette including table & two chairs, desk area with phone, flat screen tv, king bed with down duvet and the comfiest mattress I've ever slept on. Bathroom is average, but no tub just a large tiled shower. There is also a second sink and mirror area outside the bathroom so two people can easily get ready at the same time. Room is spotless and looks recently renovated.

The common areas are clean and nicely done...lots of warm brick accents.

Staff are friendly and pleasant. Place is very quiet for a hotel on a Saturday night in Fort Mac.

We ate at the Podollan Pub and had a pretty good meal. It's a typical sports pub that was very busy tonight because of the UFC fights coming on, but not too raucous or loud...yet, lol. We shared the platter of appies which was tasty, but a little spendy for what we got ($29 for a few wings, dry ribs, spring rolls, calamari, and a very small serving of bruschetta). We also had the steak sandwich which was really good ($17) and the buffalo burger ($14), which again was good but a little sloppy. Both meals came with homecut fries (included) and mushrooms and onions (extra). With two cokes, two beers, and a cosmopolitan, the meal came to $98 which was more than we would've liked, but not unlike others restaurants in the area. Server was great, and overall it was a good experience...we'd go back, but skip the platter.

Peter Pond Mall, Walmart and many others shops and restaurants are within five minutes drive.

We'll likely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012
Kelowna, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2010

I have travelled to Fort McMurray many times for business and stayed in various places, but I have found the Podollan Inn is the best up here. The very large LCD tv's are my favorite, the beds are comfortable and the rooms are clean. The hotel also houses the Podollan Pub and I highly recommend it for an amazing steak or to entertain clients or customers. We had a blast with our server and all of us really enjoyed our meals. I'll be back!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
podollan, General Manager at Podollan Inn, responded to this review, November 24, 2011
From all the management and staff at the Podollan Inns & Rez-idence, we truly appreciate your feedback and hope to be your hotel of choice when you visit Fort McMurray.
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2010

The Podollan Inn seems to be a decent enough choice for someone looking for a clean, comfortable place to stay in Fort Mac. I arrived well before the 3 p.m. check in time but had no problems getting into my room with the help of the friendly front desk agent. Though I didn't use it, the front desk gave me a ten dollar voucher for the hotel pub.

The rooms are spacious, with a small kitchenette and seating area. The washroom is quite large, though there is only a walk-in shower with a curtain vs a tub. The hotel provides plenty of toiletries and some free coffee in the room. Underground parking would be especially welcome during the winter.

I had a small hiccup with being overcharged by the hotel and I didn't detect it until a few days later. However, it was taken care of very quickly with one phone call.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank game_misconduct
alberta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2009

Very pleasant check in, quick and efficient. The overall property is clean and also the rooms are very clean. Nice layout of the King room I stayed in. What a relief to have a hotel with wireless internet that always worked for me.
Thank you. I will be returning and using Podollan Inns as my choice of hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank northerncity72
Kitchener, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2009

I stayed at the Podollan Inn for two nights in late May. The hotel is centrally located near Hwy 63 and the Athabasca River in Fort McMurray. It is not a great looking hotel, but it is consistent with the overall community: this is a northern Canadian working town.
The room was a clean and reasonably decorated with one King bed, desk, sitting area, kitchenette and bathroom. The bed was comfortable. The wireless internet worked fine and the hotel was within walking distance of several restaurants. There was also a fairly decent complimentary continental breakfast served from 5:00am to 9:00am.

In all, the hotel was consistent with the overall nature of the community and my expectations in staying there: the room was clean and quiet, the bed comfortable and the hotel was reasonably located for my business needs.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank RMW1970
Red Deer Alberta
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2008

I'm actually sitting in my room here as I write this, looking around at all of the marks on the walls, the missing paint chips, the stains on the carpet... and I'm wondering why I paid $300.00 a night to stay here? I'd heard some of the other hotels in this town were pretty dumpy, but I've stayed at Sawridge and Radisson with no issues. This place looked very nice in the pictures on the website, but don't let them fool you. Just like every other hotel owned by this group of companies, it is being run into the ground. I've stayed at their hotels all over Alberta and into North East BC, and it's the same everywhere. Very poor management. Seriously, there are big chunks of wall missing in the hall way, stains everywhere in the carpet, chips in the bathtub, the blinds are broken, the phone doesn't work, the internet doesn't work wireless or wired, and even though I requested service this morning, no one has been to my room (it's 10"47pm here right now, so I'm guessing they aren't going to change my sheets today). The other really gross thing is... they advertise about the comfy down duvets on the beds... which normally I would consider a great touch... but these don't even have covers on them! Gross! I'm glad that I brought my sleeping bag, and have cancelled the room for the rest of the week... I'd rather stay at camp, because in all honesty, the service is better and I'm pretty sure it's cleaner.

• Liked — It does have a heated parkade, which is a really nice touch in this climate.
  • Disliked — Too many things to list. It's a dump, poor management, poor staff, just poor all around. Save your money.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
      Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank tehsteve