“Well taken care of”

Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Fort McMurray
Edmonton, Canada
“Well taken care of”
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I stayed with a group at this hotel. Rooms were comfortable. My colleague's room did not have a properly working heater but the staff were able to resolve it for us immediately. The food in the restaurant is okay. Family style. Nothing fancy. But good enough to fill the hungry stomachs of my co-workers. The hot tub hasn't been fixed for a long time but we didn't need it anyway. It would have been nice to have experienced it but not a deal breaker. The undergound parking is very convenient. Did I say it's heated? I like the staff at the front desk above all. They are very nice and friendly. The front desk manager was very accommodating and he took care of us very well. He was able to find rooms for us at last minute even if the hotel was full. Forgot my iphone charger and he went out of his way to find one for me and deliver it to my room. That's service. Fort Mcmurray may be very cold but the staff made us feel warm.

Room Tip: book in advance if travelling on a weekday. this hotel tends be full on weekdays.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Michel J, General Manager at Merit Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
We are delighted to read that you have truly enjoyed you stay at our hotel and were satisfied with the overall provided services.
Rest assured that your compliments have gladly been shared with the entire team and we do look forward to welcoming you soon again to our hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed January 7, 2014

The rooms were ok and the service was outstanding. I would recommend this Hotel in Fort McMurray. It is hard to find well managed hotels in Fort McMurray with professional staff. this one fits the bill on both counts.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Vincent G
Michel J, General Manager at Merit Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Onoway, Canada
Reviewed December 13, 2013

Very nice room, service was excellent, quiet and clean. Very secure elevator access is only available with a room key. I would have no problem staying here again on business or for a family get away. I do not know how expensive the room was because it was a business trip.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Debdeb64
Michel J, General Manager at Merit Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed November 9, 2013

The room we had was very spacious. There was a separate room for a "living room" with couches and television. In the kitchen area there was a microwave and coffee maker. The bathroom was very clean. And the staff were very kind and helpful! Very happy with our stay in this hotel!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Michel J, General Manager at Merit Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear Guest. Thank you for your most positive comments which I am always proud to pass on to our hard working Team.
We thank you for your ongoing support and value your feedback. We are looking forward to welcome you back in the most foreseeable future .
Fort McMurray, Canada
Reviewed October 31, 2013

I had a good experience checking in at this hotel for 2 nights. Clean hall way and the rooms are looking good. Very kind and welcoming receptionist her name was Denica. I will absolutely consider checking in here again in the future.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Michel J, General Manager at Merit Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Calgary
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I had gone to Fort McMurray a little leery of what to expect when checking into a hotel, as I am sure we all hear the negatives about the area but was so pleasantly surprised when I arrived! The Lobby was decorated for Halloween and it looked great, nice job to the staff!
The Lady at the desk who checked me in was so nice and pleasant to deal with.
I appreciate the elevator key to go to your floor, made me feel secure!

I was in for almost the week so I got a large room with a Kitchenette, that was fantastic ! My room was separated by doors to the Bedroom so it was nice to not have to sit on the bed every night watching TV I could actually sit on a couch in a separate living area. Nice touch!

I had breakfast at the on-site restaurant a few times, convenience is always nice, the food was good and the service was very good as well.

They have parking underground and I took advantage of that, and I’m telling you if I have to go up in the winter time that alone is the biggest selling feature!!
Loved the location for where I had my meetings at.
The only thing I will say is when its rush hour in Fort McMurray which starts about 4pm, as small as a place it is it can take you an hour to get from one end to the next!

I understand this hotel is a part of a group of hotels in the area as advertised in their elevators, might try the other hotels next time just to see if they are as good, but from the looks of them they do!!

Thank you to the Staff and my cleaning people who cleaned my room and left me a little towel animal on my bed, very nice touch.

Great stay, not what I expected out of Fort McMurray!
Would stay again for sure 

Room Tip: If you are staying for a longer period of time book an Extended Stay Room!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank EdmotnonTraveller
Michel J, General Manager at Merit Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed September 9, 2013

My stay at the Merit Hotel has always been an enjoyable experience, which keeps me coming back. The spacious rooms are clean, quiet and full of all the amenities needed by the business traveler.
The front desk service is impeccable. I find all the staff is very friendly, attentive and accommodating.
The underground parking is great for those winter months or just bad weather days. For myself, a big plus is the convenience of the attached restaurant and sports lounge. I dine there often and have nothing but praise for the food and the service.
I travel regularly for business and stay in hotels over 100 nights per year. This hotel has been my default place to stay when in Fort McMurray. I would recommend The Merit to anyone for business or personal travel!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Larry S
Michel J, General Manager at Merit Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, September 26, 2013