Open today: 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Review Highlights
Very interesting

You can't visit Ft. McMurray without stopping here to fully understand the uniqueness of Alberta's... read more

Reviewed September 6, 2018
Deb S
Fabulous!

Informative, great for kids and adults alike. I learned a great deal in a fun environment- highly... read more

Reviewed August 30, 2018
jmm19572014
Sidney, Canada
via mobile

All reviews oil sands interactive displays few hours great place to learn drivers seat great learning young kids helpful staff process works great for kids ft mcmurray pay dirt worth the admission fee learned a great deal all ages fort mac whole family
Reviewed September 12, 2018

Bit propagandistic but very interesting. Outside there are huge machines and parts of equipment which was my favourite part of the exhibit. You are able to walk up to some of the machinery that has been used and see the huge scale of the equipment! The indoor exhibit had a lot of good information and helped to explain the history of the oil sands as well as how the oil is extracted from the sand and changed into the oils we use to heat our home and run our cars. I do wish that there was a bit more information about the environmental impacts of the oil sands, there was a small section on the environment and climate but it was very basic. Recognizing the controversy of the oil sands could help to balance exhibit.

Reviewed September 6, 2018

You can't visit Ft. McMurray without stopping here to fully understand the uniqueness of Alberta's oil sands!

Reviewed August 30, 2018 via mobile

Informative, great for kids and adults alike. I learned a great deal in a fun environment- highly recommended!

Reviewed August 23, 2018

Can be very in-depth if you want it to be. Lots of videos and presentations, if watch them all. I thought I knew quite a bit about the oil sands, but by the time I came out of there, I realized that I didn’t know very much. We breezed through the place in just over an hour due to our time restraints, and that isn’t long enough to do the place justice. I recommend everybody stop in and have a look. It should be the first thing you do in Ft. Mac, it’ll give you a new appreciation for what is really going on there.

Reviewed July 30, 2018

From the time you enter the village, you are transported through to a time which will completely engage you. All the buildings possess really interesting facts and findings. The historical displays are done with some technology but mostly authentic artifacts, all within a park setting that will have you wanting to stay forever. Do yourself a favour....go.

Reviewed July 22, 2018 via mobile

It was fun and great to site in a big truck. We learn lot of info and the presentation was great. Its been couple time we are going and we always like it.

Reviewed July 9, 2018 via mobile

Brought my parents there to learn a little about what I do.

It shows various stages of extraction and oil production. Has a few Dino replicas and a haul truck simulation.

Super fun for families with small children or a good way to burn a few hours.

Reviewed July 8, 2018 via mobile

Make sure to see the videos and stay for the demonstration. We learned a lot about how the history of the oil sands and ongoing journey realizing its value. The staff were very informative and answered all our questions. There were plenty interactive displays tactile, for kids and adults. I would really like them to include the next step; sharing what has happened in the last 10 years.

Reviewed July 1, 2018

Nice way to pass some time while here on business. Until you really see how the practice of refinement of the oil sands is done, you have to idea how the practice has evolved over the years.

Reviewed June 30, 2018 via mobile

We arrived yesterday to spend some time with our daughter here in Fort Mac. Today we decided to visit the Oil Sands Discovery Centre. It’s a pretty amazing place. There is equipment there that was beyond huge. It’s amazing though to see what equipment they use to take the oil out of the ground.

The only negative thing I would say is the amount of ants that they have on the sidewalks by the equipment. I was bit twice by red ants. I think it is time they looked after these pesty ants.