“Better options elsewhere”

Ranked #17 of 18 Hotels in Fort McMurray
Toronto
“Better options elsewhere”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

I stayed here for work and don’t think I’ll be coming back. The rooms are sparse and the carpet looks like it hasn’t been cleaned in awhile. I have subsequently stayed at other hotels – there are better options in the Fort Mac area.
Happy travels.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
stonebridgeFM, Director of Sales at Stonebridge Hotel Fort McMurray, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Hello Suman 514…Thank you for your review and your feedback. I am happy to note that we have recently completed a carpet upgrade throughout the hotel. Last year we had completed a renovation on our Deluxe Wing, and then earlier this year completed the last steps in the carpet upgrade to the Tower side of the hotel.
Industry standard is to use 36lb carpet in rooms and 38lb carpet in guest rooms, but we went over and above and used 40lb carpet in both the hallways and guest rooms to ensure comfort.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

Of course it is not a luxury hotel, but it's very clean, simple and comfortable! It's right in downtown and very convenient! I stayed at many hotels and this one is just right for business travel. Staff are very friendly and I didn't have any problem with them! Enjoy ur stay!

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

This hotel was booked by our company, so we had no choice. When we arrived, the corridor and room both smelled of stale smoke (non smoking hotel). Washroom floor old and looked dirty. I went to the grocery store and bought some febreeze to get rid of smoke smell. There was no breakfast offered. I tried to book a different hotel but was unable to find available accommodation. Don't stay here if you don't have to.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank canadafarmgirl2
stonebridgeFM, Director of Sales at Stonebridge Hotel Fort McMurray, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Thank you for your review and the information about our property in Fort McMurray. It is unfortunate that even though we are a non-smoking hotel and take deposits to ensure people will not smoke, some people will still smoke in their rooms. When we find issues like this we always use our Ozone machines to attempt to clean the air and not just mask it by spraying anything.
We do not run our own restaurant and so we are unable to provide breakfast, but this is not something we ever advertise - we are always upfront about the extra amentities we provide to our guests, and a free breakfast is not something we provide or advertise that we provide. There is a Smitty's restaurant in the hotel and they routinely work with our partner clients to set up breakfasts and lunches for guests staying with us.
Thank you again for your review and I hope that you give us another chance.

Travelers are raving about these Fort McMurray hotels

Wainwright
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

Good place to stay but fort Mac is very pricey. Don't believe the $119 price on the side , expect $179. Clean and friendly staff. Good location to restaurants and Tim Horton's. Bit noisy by highway. Book ahead or no rooms.

Room Tip: All seemed okay
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Ken M
stonebridgeFM, Director of Sales at Stonebridge Hotel Fort McMurray, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
I am glad you liked our hotel and I just wanted to respond to you on the $119 issue. The sign on the hotel states that we have single occupancy rooms available for $119 which we do. Becuase they are so cheap they get booked up quicker than all other rooms. Next time you are headed up to Fort McMurray, if you book in advance please ask for a Standard Single room, which would be for $119.
Thank you.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

Great location, being located in the center of downtown having everything within walking distance comes in very handy. The rooms although not large are very roomy but needs some serious updating, I was informed when I had checked in that they did have updates rooms but personally I don't care about the looks only that it is clean. Both the sheets and towels looked older than the building it's self as they were yellowed and over washed, but seemed clean and smelled fresh. Rooms were very dim but I guess this is to cover some imperfections in the room such as faded carpets, yellowed linens, and lamp shades.
Front desk staff seemed to pretend to be busy as they were just stood around doing nothing for about five minutes before they served me.
Where most of my problems with this hotel starts is within their so called "million dollar bar". For starters the bar does look great and gives a warm and welcoming feeling, but the staff just makes the place look cheep. I recently returned to the hotel with my wife and when she suggested we visit baileys pub I straight out said NO. I did not want her to witness the filth I did on my first stay. The staff wore too little clothing and were both rude and uncivilized.
I was served by a pretty nice guy at first who smiled and spoke to me at the bar, when I returned for a second drink I was rudely spoken to and served by a blonde woman whom seem like she was too good to be here.
I was sitting alone for a long period of time and was ignored by all serving staff and had to over hear some unsettling conversations from both the staff and the patrons. The glasses were dirty with rings around the rims and dirt floating in my drink(s).
My recent return with my wife was better, we did stay on the updated side of the hotel and although very dark and dungeon like was much nicer. I did notice a few new faces in the bar but until all the faces are new I don't think I will return.
Would I recommend this hotel to others? Yes but would suggest they stay on the newly redone side and avoid baileys pub at all cost.

• Stayed May 2013
stonebridgeFM, Director of Sales at Stonebridge Hotel Fort McMurray, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Thank you very much for the review, and we certainly take all feedback very seriously. I wanted to respond on a few different parts of the review.
1. Since your last stay, we have updated our linens and new much better and larger towels
2. We have already ordered new carpet and are in the process in finalizing an order for new casegoods for the tower (older) side to update it and get it up to par with the newer, Deluxe side
3. We have recently done an overhaul in Bailey's wtih staff and will contiue to monitor and replace staff if required to ensure that customer service is the best in FM and above expectations

I hope that the next time you are in the area, you stay wtih us and check out, and enjoy, Bailey's Pub and the Stonebridge.
Thank you again for your feedback!
Matt
Edmonton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

This is the WORST hotel I have ever stayed in!!!!!! I checked in at 10 pm and the guy at the front desk was on the phone and stayed on it probably for at least 5 mins and there was 2 other people in the back in uniforms that didn't come and help me either. When he did get off the phone he asked how he could help me "SIR" and I am a woman and look like one too!!!!!! He then asked for my id and referred to me as "SIR" AGAIN!!!!!!

I finally get checked in and get to my room and it was filthy. There was pubic hair in the sink and long black hairs in the tub & the toilet was plugged...... The bed looked like someone just crawled out of it and by that I mean the duvet was a mess and so were the pillows...... That was the first room so I grabbed my suitcase and back down to the front desk I went. There was 4 people checking in and I just wanted to tell them to go else where but I waited and I got another room.

I get to that room and turn on the lights and there is 3 big off white stains on the duvet......I believe is was sperm, 2 were on the edge of the bed and the other was at the end. It was sick and there was hair in my tub and sink too but I was tired so I called down and told them to bring me bedding and I would do it myself......A guy came up and took pics of the duvet and then stripped the bed and remade it. I had been up since 5 am and drove all day with an elementary school, I was tired. Tried to turn the tv on and put stuff in the fridge and it didn't work and the fridge was actually warm.....the breaker went.

I asked the manager to call me the next day and no one did so I called when I got back to my room the next day. I talked to the assistant manager Lorna and she told me that there was nothing they could do for me and that the 1st room was clean, there was no plugged toilet or hair in the sink or tub and the bed was made and that the duvet was not dirty either. So there was nothing they would be able to do for me. That I was making it up to get a free night. I WAS TREATED LIKE CRAP and I WILL NEVER STAY THERE AGAIN!!!!!! MAKE SURE YOU TAKE PICTURES TOO!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank 77frequenttraveller
Lethbridge, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

I wrote another review not logged in. When I started reading others reviews I began to get worries that in my one night stay my credit card would get charged for damages that I did not make. I took pictures of my room to feel better.

Ultimately this is a safe place to stay with really nice rooms. Outside traffic is loud but who cares, the bed is so comfy you'll fall asleep anyways watching your giant tv at the foot of the bed.

Not to many hotels have their director of sales reviewing reviews either. This hotel obviously is on the up and up.

One thing that should be addresses is the lack of fans in the bathrooms. Bad doors and moisture is not able to be properly ventilated and signs of mold on my bathroom ceiling can be seen developing.

$159 for a place to stay within a short cab distance to the greyhound, why not.

I'd stay here again if I had to, as long as there isn't any additional cc charges.

• Stayed April 2013