“Hotel room...nope, cell blocks!”

Stonebridge Hotel Fort McMurray
Ranked #18 of 19 Hotels in Fort McMurray
Reviewed December 10, 2011

I had the displeasure of staying at this hotel mid week while in town for a funeral. The cost was decent, but certainly not for what I got. The hotel claims that it has been recently updated, and it appeared that the lobby had been, but the rooms were not. The hotel also claimed that all rooms were non-smoking, and they may well be currently, but have not been in the past. There were burns to the carpet, furnishings, and around the sink in the bathroom. The bathrooms were barely passable for clean, and the coating of grime and dirt to the baseboards, around the electrical plugs and in corners was sufficient to turn my stomach. The mini fridge was not plugged in and contained 2 bottles of water, one of which was previously opened and nearly empty. The carpet was filthy, and the bathroom linens outdated and not fresh smelling.
The front desk staff were not conscious of the fact that while checking in there were many others standing in the lobby, and announced my room number out loud. Every left and returned to the hotel I had to have my key card rescanned at the front desk, as I was unable to get into my room.
I was able to hear not only conversations in the hallway, but the cell phone of the person in the room next to me. At 7am on the day of my departure there was an alarm of some type going off for close to 20 minutes. When I called the front desk to complain, they had no idea that there was an alarm sounding. They did however detrmine it's location and shut it off, nearly 30 mins after it started.
The front desk staff failed to ask me how my stay was, and I can only assume it was because they also know what a dive this hotel is. I couldn't wait to check out!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank RNfromAB
stonebridgeFM, Director of Sales at Stonebridge Hotel Fort McMurray, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2011

It is very unfortunate that you had this experience and feel this way about our hotel. We do everything we can to go over and above for our guests, including providing discounted rooms for berevemeant purposes, as we did for you when finding out you were up there for a funeral. The hotel, as we claim, is in the middle of going through upgrades, we started with upgrading all TVs and the wireless internet (which are both complete) and the upgrades are continuing in January with new carpet, paint, furniture, showerheads, countertops which is what we continue to claim. These upgrades on 38 rooms are being done on the side of the hotel that used to be smoking, before we went to non-smoking on October 1, 2011. The burns to the carpet and other areas are a driving factor to go to non-smoking and to also upgrade all of these rooms.
On each of our housekeeper's checklist for the rooms is to check the water and the temperature of the mini-frides, if this was missed on your room, again I sincerely apologize, but we do take steps to ensure this is checked for each room.
In a hotel, with rooms being so close, if an alarm is going off in one person's room, there is always a possibility that it can be heard next door; this happens frequently in all hotels. In order to give all guests proper privacy, we are not able to immediately go into a room to shut off a phone or clock alarm, and our staff did exactly what our policy's state. They attempted to locate which room the alarm was going off in, then attempted via phone and knocking on the door to alert the guest inside the room or to confirm if there is a guest in the room. When they are not able to get a hold of the guest, at that point they enter the room to shut off the alarm. Usually this takes about 5 minutes.
I again apologize for what you feel your stay was like with us, but can also guarantee that these are "one off" issues and not the norm for the Stonebridge Hotel. We are very excited about finalizing the room renovations in January 2012 which will solve many of the issues you have brought up, so I hope that you give us another chance, and stay with us; hopefully under better circumstances as you did the last time.

Reviewed September 28, 2011

The hotel is obviously going through a renovation period, but the rooms are clean and the linens are white and crisp. The front desk staff were extremely friendly and the location is great.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank CoolCalgaryCanuck
Reviewed June 14, 2011

I've stayed at this hotel a few times for business and the first time my room was right by the elevator. This was great if I wanted to hear conversations in the middle of the night of intoxicated people. For my next stay, I asked if they could put me in a room not close to the elevator and they put me in a room at the end of the hall by the stairs which again is great if you want to hear people talking. The staff try their best but you definitely see the difference in quality compared to other larger chain hotels. I did appreicate the restaurant in the hotel and I had good meals. The casino is across the parking lot and just be cautious when making the short walk.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank LovingSunandSand
stonebridgeFM, Director of Sales at Stonebridge Hotel Fort McMurray, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2011

With recent new ownership we are now continuing the renovations throughout the rest of the hotel in order to fix the issues you have brought up. We have also recently purchased 46" LED HD TVs for each room in the hotel, and have already installed over half of them, with the remianing to be completed shortly.
Please check back with us next time you are up in Fort McMurray.

Reviewed January 22, 2011

It's a cheap hotel in price and in quality. The Tv was horrible, the carpets in our non-smoking room were very old and had cigarette burns. The bed was not very comfortable. But if you just need a place to lay your head it works.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Jodymae B
stonebridgeFM, Director of Sales at Stonebridge Hotel Fort McMurray, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2011

The new ownership group is dedicated to enhancing the stay for all our guests. We are in the beginning of a major re-investment into the hotel to fix the issues which you have brought up.
The first major investment which we have understaken is to update all TVs in the rooms with 46" LED HD TVs (so far 75% of the hotel rooms have been udpated), top of the line and best in any hotel you will find in Fort McMurray. In addition to the TVs will be full HD programming available in all rooms as well. Please check back in with us soon to see the new TVs.
We are a hotel with great value, and want all our guests to have a great stay with us at a low price.

Reviewed January 3, 2011

The lobby of this hotel and some of the room have been renovated but the elevator was not working and the stairs and hallways were completely outdated. The friendly staff and cleanliness of the hotel more than made up for the lack of continuity in decor. This hotel is in a great location and well worth the value.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gracioushost234

The elevator is now working fine and with new ownership the rest of the hotel is going to be renovated including stairwells and rooms. Rooms now have an updated 46" LED HD TV and HD programming available with them. Soon their will be additional face lifts done to the rest of the rooms.

Reviewed November 29, 2010

We have just returned from Fort McMurray, and a stay at the Stonebridge...all I have to say is looks can be deceiving. From the pictures on the website, it looks like a very nice, and updated hotel. Upon arrival, we saw that the website didn't lie...we were located downtown...across from a little spot where the homeless people like to spend their time. There is very minimal parking in the front, and the rear has parking, that shares a parking lot with the local mall, Tim Hortons, Wendy's and Montans (just to name a few). The hotel also houses a dance club which is on the lower level (this is home to quite a few teenagers who seemed rather "stoned" for lack of better words). The staff at the front desk were very nice, and the check in went smoothly. When we got to our room, which was on the 3rd floor, we exited the elevators, to find 2 chairs for people to sit in, that were about as old as the hotel itself (we were told that the Stonebridge is one of the oldest hotels). The chairs had rather large stains on the seats, of what, I'm not quite sure, and the carpets were very old looking in the hallway. We got to our room and put the key in the swipe box and the door "opened" about an inch (This is the same with the bathroom door in the room). Inside the room, we had a queen bed, fridge, microwave, TV, and work desk. The bathroom has a very odd layout. The bathroom counter, was about 3 feet off of the floor, with minimal counter space and a sink that was beside the toilet on an angle. The taps on the sink, were ancient, and the same goes for the shower.
The carpet in the room, even though we had a non-smoking, had cigarette burns in it everywhere. The bed was actualy comfortable enough, but that is about the only good thing about this room. We paid $119 for the room, which was a special rate they had on. I guess te saying is true; you get what you pay for! There was also a resturant attached, but I believe that Tim Hortons would be the right choice! I think that when they upgraded the outside of this hotel, the inside should have been done as well.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tiffles_00
Reviewed September 9, 2010

Okay so I get the jacuzzi room with a king size bed for me and my boyfriend because we havent seen each other in over 2 months. First I notice some little flies but kill them, then I go to have a shower and the shower is either really hot or really cold with no pressure at all so i kept having to turn the water from hot to cold, and cold to hot every 30 seconds to get a good temp. Then I notice more flies. So I asked to move rooms, There are no more jacuzzi rooms available so I take a king suite. OMG soon as i walked into the door it was like some ghetto 70's fun down hotel that you see people renting on movies when they are poor and have no money. So I check out right away and didnt even stay a night.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple