“Stumbled upon a gem.”

Chez Dube Country Inn
Edmonton, Canada
“Stumbled upon a gem.”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I just came back from a business/pleasure trip to Fort McMurray. My colleague and I stayed for three nights in seperate rooms of this 15-or-so room inn. I am no stranger to Fort McMurray having lived there until 1995 and having visited for business or pleasure every few years since then. During those visits I have typically stayed in conventional hotels. I didn't realise Chez Dube Country Inn existed until this last visit. What a shame. Compared to the other typical pedestrian and/or chaotic accomadation choices, Chez Dube was lovely. It was exceptionally clean, inviting and well-managed. It felt more Iike a comfortable, private residence than a mere room in the obviously bustling economic juggernaut that is the Wood Buffalo region.

Room Tip: Reserve well in advance as demand for all types of accomadation is very high. The "value"...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank TravelDuo_11

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed March 25, 2011

I stayed here along with four other colleagues, each to our own room. I lived in Ft. McM 20 years ago and this was my first trip back, so I was curious to hear that we were staying downtown, which I remember as being a bit rough, especially in the evenings. The location of the B&B is on the far edge of downtown and we were immediately relaxed as we drove up to check in. The first thing that struck us was the fact that the building was constructed with its purpose in mind. The common areas included a spacious kitchen, a living room and a games room downstairs. It was very clean as was evidenced by the expectation that shoes are removed at the door, as one would at home.

We were given a key to the front door, which is locked around 9pm; and keys to our rooms. The proprietor gave us a quick tour as he walked us to our rooms and wished us a good evening.

The decor is rather interesting - lots of kitchy country style pieces but there are snacks available and a rack of dvd movies for use in the room, each of which had a flat-screen television. The morning is a typical B&B event - gathering in the large kitchen where a variety of hot and cold foods are available. There is someone to cook bacon/eggs, etc as well.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will look forward to returning on future trips to Ft. McMurray.

Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank pmackayYEG
British Columbia
Reviewed December 13, 2009

This was my first trip to Fort McMurray and I was originally checked into the Holiday Inn. The Hotel was so dirty and clientele that made you feel unsafe I went searching for an alternative. Unfortunately it was Valentine's Week and everything was BOOKED solid. I explained my situation to Bob and Paulette and they went out of their way to find me space. Over the 2 week stay I had to 'shuffle' rooms a few times due to being booked up but that was the best part of my stay. I got to experience the variety of rooms within the Inn and even had the pleasure of staying in the main 'family' section.

Your ALWAYS greeted with a hello, games room helped pass the time in the blistering cold and the extra special warm treats at night gave it an extra special touch.

My stay at the Chez Dube helped start a life long friendship with so guests and of course the owners! I recommend the Chez Dube to everyone going to Fort McMurray.

I was even pleased to see their write up in the Westjet online magazie!

• Stayed February 2007, traveled on business