“Won't stay anywhere else”
Review of Matrix Hotel

Matrix Hotel
Ranked #10 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Regina, Saskatchewan
“Won't stay anywhere else”
Reviewed August 30, 2010

Loved this hotel! I won't stay anywhere else! The rooms were nice, the beds were comfortable, and I loved the bathtub! The staff was freiendly, and it was in a great location! Will reccommend this to everyone I know! Room service was amazing! The broccoli soup was out of this world!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed August 29, 2010

if you want quiet, downtown is not a wise choice. It made an excellent ladies night, but the entire hotel was quite noisy, due to two weddings in the hotel, and the fact that we were a block away from several nightclubs.
The decor was great, and made for awesome photo ops. beds and couches were great and comfortable, we had a small suite, with a separate bedroom and a living room with bar. we were able to have a few extra guests come by for wine before going out and fit 8 comfortably in the living room.
staff was great, valet was quick.
Did not get to use any amenities, however the breakfast looked great, and the hospitality lounge is an excellent feature in the hotel.
Bathrooms were spacious and the shower had dual sprayers, but I did get woken up by a neighboring room turning theirs on early in the morning. the walls are not entirely soundproof, and the plumbing was unusually loud.
Elevators were sort of on the fritz, and took us several floors in the wrong direction a couple times, we opted for the stairs when possible. If I was travelling with my kids in a stroller I would likely have been quite upset.
overall, it was a pretty nice place, but the weekends are obviously fairly rowdy.
I was also shocked to see that one of my friends was able to get a key from the front desk to the room I was responsible for without having to show any identification, or even give the name it was under. perhaps the staff recognised that I had walked by with them earlier, but for my own safety and protection, I would expect tighter security.
We also were suprised to find that the pull out couch in the living room did not have any linens on it, and no extra blankets or pillows were stocked in the rooms closet like most hotels do. My friend who I split the room with ended up sleeping on the couch with one of my blankets from the bedroom.
It is obvious the hotel has spent a good deal of time and thought on making the hotels appearance appealing, and trendy, but there is still a lot of fine tuning that could be done to make an older building into a top notch hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Wiesbaden, Germany
Reviewed August 16, 2010

After reading the good reviews on Tripadvisor we made the Matrix home for a visit to Edmonton. The summary: We were disappointed an would not recommend the hotel again. In our view the hotel is a "want-to-be-design/in-location" not living up to its promises. The room was average at best, more on the side of "in need of renovation". Bathroom ok, but also on the lower side of expectations - we dide not like the lack of real bathroom doors (for no obvious reason/benefit). Refrigerator old. No special view from hotel room. Bed comfort average at best. Overall, a room where we get the "better do not look under the bed impression". Disappointing too, the lack of any waiting area in (or nearby) the lobby (e.g. to meet/ have a drink or read a newspaper). Breakfast buffet was ok, but since the hotel seemed well booked, it was not easy to get a table and a breakfast that does not indeed invite a lenghty stay. The location is ok, but does also not offer any benefits. Public transportation (e.g. to Oilers game) could be closer. We do have no real quality complaints, but on the other hand no positive highlight to report. A disappointing average at best. And a far way to go for the Matrix to a "design hotel" worth visiting. We decided for a third night in Edmonton, but changed the hotel to the downtown Marriott. Do we need to add anything more? The Marriott offered a spectacular view from our room on the river, the Muttart Conservatory and endless Alberta skies (beyond the City). So we already made our decision to not stay in the Matrix again. Still we recommend a stay in downtown Edmonton, if you prefer not to only expereince the Mall. The New Art Museum, City Hall and restaurants are in walking distance and a great experience.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

I was dissappointed to learn that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us. Our Hotel was completely renovated in 2007 with all new furnishings and remodelling of the guestrooms and public areas. We do offer our Guests a relaxation area which is our hospitality suite, open 24 hours with a patio, fireplace, as well as a made to order latte machine available for all of our Guests, I do apologise if you were not made aware of this while you were our guest. Thank you for your comments and I am glad that you did enjoy your time in Edmonton.

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed August 14, 2010

Everyone has their own level tolerance in everything from cleanliness to noise level. Room #1007 is next to the elevators, the darn thing ran all night! The walls like many other places are THIN so be ready to explain to your kids why the lady in the next room at 10:00 pm is screaming on and off till 2am, but the only thing she can say is "YES".....on the up side Breakfast was pretty "GOOD". Water pressure in the shower...good, not enough towels in room for everyone, I guess if you can get past some little things... not a bad place to stay. Just remember any where you stay has its faults, so if you, like myself sleeps light don't get a room next to the stairs or an elevator.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us about your recent stay. I do apologise that your sleep was disrupted, and that you did not enjoy a restful stay with us. I would certainly like to offer you the opportunity to try us again, please contact me directly if I can be of any assistance to you.

Lawrenceville, Georgia
Reviewed August 13, 2010

To be honest, i was a little hesitant & skeptical at first from reading all of the reviews, but to be honest, you have to stay here and see for yourself. For my bithday week, I took the greyhund bus into edmonton, which the cab is only 5CAD to the hotel. The Corona train station is 2 blocks away from the hotel and if you are going to the "West Edmonton Mall" the bus is 2.75CAD with only a 20 minute ride on the 100 Wem bus from the hotel. Parking, newspaper, breakfast, wine and cheese are all free- daily. Clubs, casinos, restaurants, and shopping are all in close proximity, so what more could you ask for? The hotel is 41/2 stars(fabulous) and i would stay here, again! Also, the rooms are delightful with flat screen tvs & satellite boxes inside....

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. We are very happy that you had such a wonderful stay, and look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed August 11, 2010

Thoroughly enjoyed stay here. Very friendly atmosphere. Had opportunity to meet other guests at the wine and cheese. Complementary breakfast was great ! and the staff was diligent at replenishing the food. Whyte Ave. was another consideration for finding a hotel but it is under major construction looks to be for some time.

• Stayed August 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us regarding your recent stay. We strive to provide a welcoming comfortable place for our guests, and am happy to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast as well as our wine and cheese tasting. I look forward to having you as our guest again.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 11, 2010

I travel to Edmonton frequently for work and typically stay at the Matrix. I try to stay at the Matrix every time. I think the location downtown is perfect. I appreciate the convenience of the Starbucks by the front entrance, the restaurant attached (especially in the winter), and the covered parking. When I arrive the staff at the front desk know me by my name, which is such a comfort when traveling for a number of hours. Besides knowing my name they inquire about my travels and my pending stay - a very nice feeling.
Getting to my room I love the scent that hits me as soon as I open the door. Knowing that I will sleep well in the extremely comfortable bed with sheets that as so soft make me relax. In addition, the breakfast in the morning is perfect for starting the day. Not to mention the water in the mini-fridge in the room or the small but efficient workout room. I have taken in the wine tasting in the evening and appreciate the chance to meet with clients in a relaxed and stylish atmosphere.
At the Matrix, the style, the convenience, the comfort, the friendliness, the whole place is my slice of home in Edmonton.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business