“A great value”
Review of Matrix Hotel

Matrix Hotel
Ranked #10 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed August 19, 2009

What a great find and an even better value! It was a 4 star hotel at a 2 star price. Room was clean and very well appointed, noise wasn't bad, and the staff was friendly. The decor is upscale, trendy and very comfortable. We loved the large flat screen with a jillion satellite channels. The only drawback is that the area can be a bit sketchy, especially at night. It's probably best not to walk the area alone after dark.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank KipF
There are newer reviews for Matrix Hotel

Reviewed August 11, 2009

We stayed at the Matrix Hotel for 3 days when visiting Edmonton from Nova Scotia for the No Doubt Concert

Price
Quite expensive… but like most cities you get what you pay for.

Location
I’ve heard people complain about the location of this hotel. To those people I say “welcome to Edmonton”. Edmonton is a city the spreads in a lot of directions. So unless you plan on only seeing one part of it, every hotel will be a “bad location”. We went to the West Edmonton Mall and to Rexall Place for the concert. Both were easy to get to using public transit (Bus and Light Rail). When travelling nowadays one should bring a laptop. Getting public transit directions using Google maps couldn’t be easier. There were plenty of restaurants and other shopping areas close by.

The Room
When first entering the hotel I was concerned. The lobby seemed a bit corney and out of date (1980’s almost). Luckily my mind was set at ease when entering our room. We had a Sterling Suite room which is like a small apartment. Living room, kitchenette, and separate bedroom. Room was extremely clean and modern. Included fridge, stove, and fireplace. Satelitte TV in the bedroom and living room.

Bed
Large and very comfortable

Bathroom
Large and very clean. Shower had two shower heads, one high one low.

Room Size
Quite large. Living room had couch and desk and was perfect for relaxing.

Internet
FREE - gotta love it

We had free buffet breakfast included with our room. Quite good, although it could have used some bacon or sausage. Other then those items it had lots of eggs, home fries, fruit, toast, bagels, cereal, etc.

Staff
Helpful and polite but nothing to write home about. I say that for the following reason. Overall this wasn't a big deal but it did annoy me. Our flight to Edmonton landed early afternoon so I suspected our room wouldn't be ready yet. I have no issue with that, check in time wasn't until 3 so I would gladly wait. The staff person at the front desk said we could leave our bags and come back in an hour and it would be ready. We returned to the front desk at exactly one hour and the same staff person looked at us and said "hi can I help you"... I mean come on it was a tuesday afternoon and the lobby/city were very quiet and this person claimed to have totally forgotten who we were. Good news was the room was ready. I know this is petty but it did annoy me. Again with the exception of that the staff were fine.

Noise
There is nothing I love more than a quiet hotel room for sleeping and this one comes 2nd best (best being The Suites at One King West in TO). Our room was right beside the elevators but was still quite quiet. Occasionally when in the living room or kitchen we would hear some noise outside, but at night with the bedroom being separate it was very quiet.

If you are looking for a romantic weekend with your partner then I highly recommend the Matrix. The only real downside to this hotel is the high price tag.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MRJNovaScotia
Reviewed July 30, 2009

We spent 3 nights at the Matrix in downtown Edmonton. It is a true find! The hotel is modern, clean and located close to restaurants, markets and the Edmonton legislature grounds. Staff was consistently upbeat and helpful. We had a small dog with us and there was no issue with that (dogs not allowed in suites).

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KarenJan
Reviewed July 28, 2009

Well I had the pleasure of staying here one night and the staff were so friendly and accomadating from the lcheerful young lady at front desk upgrading my room to the wonderful staff in the restaurant and the helpful courteous friendly staff who made my stay a great one! Great decor in the hotel and in the evening they had wine and cheese tasting for all hotel guests and a complementry buffet for breakfast was 7.5/10 very good above aveargae quiche with selection on paisties and breads/cereals. The rooms were spacious and came equipment with free wifi which actually worked.Beautiful plasmas in the rooms with satalitte! and big soaker tubs, also in the bathroom contained good quality products for the hair and skin. I felt very safe here as it was quiet as a mouse at night, for once it was like a soundproof room! great hotel great staff, finally pleasure to find a god hotel with great decor and friendly staff. The gym was above average it had brand new equipment and a variey of it.
The only downfall is that It did not have a pool or a night lounge. Other than that it was perfect for business travellers..Would recommend and stay again

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank cheapnclassy
Reviewed July 28, 2009

An absolutely amazing deal. An excellent hotel at motel prices.

The location is fabulous: in the centre of downtown just a block off Jasper Ave and half a block from the Corona LRT station. We walked or took public transportation everywhere so this was an ideal location. Being right downtown it was a little noisier but not too bad, and I'm a light sleeper and we were on a lower floor.

The hotel obviously caters to business people: the decor is polished and sophisticated, there is a business centre with 2 Dell computers, printers and phones, the in-room desk includes multiple electronic plug-ins, a data port and wireless access, and they are well set up for conferences, receiving/sending packages and faxes.

We weren't there for business and felt just as welcomed. There was also at least one family with small children there during the weekend. I didn't see any school-aged children or teenagers among the guests.

Service was quick and unobtrusive. Check-in and out were a breeze and all requests we had in regards to housekeeping and luggage were handled efficiently.

The room was quite nice. We had two double beds (with pillow-top mattresses), a desk/entertainment centre that included satellite TV, a cordless phone, mini fridge and three large dresser drawers. The nightstand included two more drawers, swing-out lights and a radio with CD player and MP3 auxillary capability.

The bathroom was of adequate size with a lovely granite countertop and stainless storage area beneath. The door was a little strange: it was sliding and never completely closed and couldn't be locked. They provided shampoo, conditioner, body wash, body lotion, a shower cap and shoe polish sponge. A flower-Kleenex also greeted us which was a nice touch.

Breakfast was a little early on weekdays (6:30-9) but we made it for the weekend (7:30-10:30). It included individual cereals with milk, several varieties for toast (with whipped butter, jams, peanut butter, honey and cream cheese), mini bagels, muffins, banana or cranberry breads, individual yogurts, yogurt-of-the-day, granola, fruit salad and two hot offerings of scrambled eggs and potatoes. There was also a variety of tea and coffee, including a cappuccino maker, as well as juices (orange, apple and grapefruit).

Room service is available and there is also a restaurant and a Starbucks at the hotel.

I didn't use the fitness centre but took a peek in. It had s stationary bike, a treadmill and an elliptical machine as well as free weights, a weight machine, medicine balls, a Bosu ball and mats. There was a TV set in the room and towels and water were provided.

I still can't believe they can offer everything they do at such a low rate. I would absolutely stay there again and would highly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank MaraJade-3
Reviewed July 16, 2009

Nice comfortable hotel, reminding me of the Kimpton Hotels back in the States. Nice plasma TV with satellite box. Great ammenities. Breakfast that is included is nice ... some healthy items, some not so healthy. Great having a Starbucks right around the corner. Guess it could be better by having a connecting doorway (as I hear it gets pretty cold in the winter time, and even the short run around the corner could freeze your *(^%S off. Great Job. If I'm here on business again, I would definitely put this on my list of options.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 7, 2009

I was so much excitingly surprised when I first opened the room door. wow, it's a 4-star hotel design inside the room for sure! And with $89 per night(expedia rate), where else can you get such a good deal???
The bed is so comfortable, the bathroom is so clean and every small details in the room has been taken great consideration.
The lobby design is very elegent and trendy, front desk staff are very polite and efficent.
Free breakfast is very nice too.
It's 100% Hidden Gem in Edmonton downtown!!!
This is a hotel that I would confidently recommend to everybody who travels to Edmonton!
And this review is for our two stays here within a week in June!
This hotel is the best value in Edmonton!!!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business