“Hidden Gem”
Review of Matrix Hotel

Matrix Hotel
Ranked #10 of 91 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed October 25, 2013

My first time at this hotel and I think this will become the new favourite for business trips to Edmonton. Fresh, clean and modern, free wifi with excellent connectivity, complimentary hot and cold breakfast buffet, very good rates ($168), nice beds and shower. Awesome restaurant rated one of the best. Of course, great professional and very welcoming staff. Downtown location very central and walking distance to Edmonton Centre. Starbucks next door. Highly recommend this for business travel. Didn't have time to check out other amenities. Will report on them next time .

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,840)

Reviewed October 21, 2013

From the moment we walked into this hotel, to the moment I checked out, it was amazing. Jennifer, Jay and Mike were at the front desk to check the three of us in, and they were fun and friendly and more than helpful! They had suggestions on places to go to eat, Jennifer told us about the Common Social Hall, with martinis on tap, etc. (She's so wonderful, that Jennifer!)

I had a lovely room, with a fabulous king sized platform bed, small but more than adequate bathroom and a large flat screen TV.

I had opted out of housekeeping for my stay, so ran through my coffee pods for the Keurig within the first 24 hours. When I went down to ask for more, the lovely gentleman created a 'coffee care package' with coffee, creamer and sugar, and brough it up to my room.

The restaurant staff was awesome, helpful and fun as well. And seriously, free glass of wine and appies every night?! AMAZING! And honestly the very best breakfasts I've ever had in a hotel. EVER.

I can't wait for my next business trip to Edmonton! I don't care if it's -40 and I have to walk outside for 20 minutes to get to my office, this is now my go-to hotel.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

The team at the Matrix do an excellent job of honouring and welcoming frequent stayers - they treat me like royalty when I'm there, remember my name, remember my favourite requests, and the whole staff makes every stay easy. I call the Matrix my "home away from home" and it is the staff that creates that feeling. Good breakfast every morning, lovely wine and cheese each evening, all for what I consider a very reasonable price.

Room Tip: The elevators can be a bit slow during heavy traffic periods (mornings and after work) so staying on...
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I stayed at the Matrix for 3 nights this week for a business trip. Rooms were modern, spacious and well appointed.
Complimentary breakfast was fantastic. The best surprise was the restaurant in the hotel. We had lunch there on the second day and enjoyed it so much, we went back for dinner the next night.
Staff is extremely courteous, polished and top notch!
Would stay there again in a heartbeat!

Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

First things first. Awesome bed! My husband and I semi argue over soft vs firm bed and we both agreed this bed was the greatest!

Room was nicely renovated and tastefully decorated. Foyer was beautiful and with free wifi, free breakfast and a huge amounts of cable channels, this place is hard to fault.

Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I recently stayed there for a business trip. The staff were very nice and Friendly. The platinum suite was really clean and spacious. The restaurant was reasonable and I was also able to walk to other nice ones in downtown. Breakfast was way better than the "continental buffet" provided in most hotels in US.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We have stayed here before and we will stay here again. The location is great - situated in the centre of the downtown and within walking distance of many amenities - legislature, art galleries, and restaurants to name a few. Rooms although a bit on the small size (deluxe king) are comfortable and clean. Having said that soundproofing is lacking which is disappointing. Elevators are so slow; in fact we waited 15 minutes or more Saturday morning to access the mezzanine for breakfast. Wifi seemed spotty in the room (never had that problem before when staying here). The hotel took these concerns into account and very nicely gave us a discount on the bill much to our surprise and delight! Breakfast is great - nice selection of hot and cold dishes. Wine and cheese and snacks are offered for an hour later in the day - nice perk. We visit Edmonton often to see family and friends so will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: choose a room on a lower floor should there be problems with the elevators
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple