“Business hotel in a convenient location”
Review of Matrix Hotel

Matrix Hotel
Ranked #10 of 91 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for about a month at the beginning of 2013 and enjoyed it.
Great staff, always accommodating. When there was a problem they dealt with it swiftly.
Nice room with a gas fireplace which was cozy when it's -30 outside. A fridge and a microwave. Good , complimentary breakfast, only wished it was available a bit earlier in the morning.
Only real problem is they archaic TV system. They get multiple complaint every day and I believe they're aware they have to switch to a "professional" system.
The Gym could use some more equipment.

Room Tip: Go as high as you can. The suites are (obviously) more convenient for longer stays.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,810)

Reviewed May 17, 2013

I arrived at the Matrix from Calgary a little after 8:pm. Check in was great! Very friendly. They ordered me a cab for the morning . Rooms are very modern and comfortable. I could hear the guest in the next room. My view was a roof top! The TV had HBO great channels if you can get it to work. The prior guest had it programmed for games and I could not access the TV. Maintainance came up to fix, that took about an hour to get TV going. In the mean time I was starving and ordered room service. I ordered Pizza without cheese just sauce and a few toppings with a beer. Well about 10:00pm they call the room and said they made the wrong pizza and put brie cheese on it and it would take another hour to make another one so about 11:00pm. I was so angry. 1 I was starving no dinner. 2 it was so late at night I had to up at 6:00am to present a seminar at the University down the street. So they brought the beer up free of charge but did not seem too concerned about anything. I had the can of pringles in the room and explained my upset at checkout and they did not charge for the pringles. WOW! how kind of them. So my only issue was the TV and room service who seem to not have a clue about customer service. Would I stay again. Yes, however I would have a Subway sandwich accross from the hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on higher floors!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Olaf M, General Manager at Matrix Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to share your comments.

I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. We use our guest’s feedback to allow us to celebrate our successes and to address our challenges by continuously improving our product and service. As such, we have ordered new LED TVs for the entire hotel to improve our guest’s viewing experience. Your room service experience is unacceptable and I am investigating your comments to make sure that this does not occur in the future.

We do value your choice of staying at the Matrix and we are looking forward to have you stay with us in the near future. Please contact me directly if you would like to discuss your stay further or if I can do anything to make your future stays more enjoyable.

omiede@matrixedmonton.com

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Stayed here in May 2013 for a girlfriend's stagette. The rooms are really well designed and comfortable. Staff were super helpful and friendly. The complimentary breakfast buffet is really great. Thought this place was overall good value for money.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 10, 2013

So the positives: great staff, good housekeeping, shower head was great. Negatory: bathroom has no fan, so the water condenses on the ceiling and then falls back down on you - disgusting. Poor quality room air, ventilation system so noisy one can barely sleep. They advertised that windows could open - had to get someone to cut the plastic tag off before could be opened. The TV is a nightmare to figure out. The beds had no fitted sheets and the duvets had no covering it was just another loose sheet on top. They call a sliding piece of board a bathroom door!! There wasn't a safety bar anywhere in the shower and tub is too deep. The fantabulous reviews this place gets is probably because those people stayed in the Sterling suite or anything above a "luxury double bed suite". This place is best suited to business folk who have absolutely no infirmities whatsoever. Last but not least, the parking sucked!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Olaf M, General Manager at Matrix Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

I am happy to hear your comments on our team and housekeeping service as they do a great job. We continually try to improve our product and service. As such we are working with a mechanical company to improve the airflow in our guest rooms and we have ordered new LED TVs for the entire hotel. We used to have duvet covers in our rooms and just recently changed to triple sheeting all of our beds as this is becoming more sanitary and prevalent in hotels. The hotel’s boutique design included sliding doors in our bathrooms and deep tubs. We do have rooms with safety bars as well as rooms without and this is the first time that the lack of a safety bar has been brought to my attention. I will look into this further as the safety of our guests is of utmost importance. We do offer a number of complimentary services with your stay including breakfast, a wine/cheese reception (except Sunday nights) and parking adjacent to the hotel. We are currently limited on undercover parking and we are in the process to get our springtime lot cleaning and painting done.

I do hope that you will consider staying with us in the future and allow us to redeem ourselves. To that end I would love the opportunity to speak with you directly.

omiede@matrixedmonton.com

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Though mundane in appearance on the outside looking like an office building this medium size hotel has a very attentive staff and comfortable rooms inside it.
The staff is ever willing to please and help. The breakfast buffet is fabulous what you expect at the best Sunday brunch that you might pay upwards of $30 per person for.
Though the rooms have not been renovated for about 5 or 6 years hotels in general only renovate perhaps every 10 years. The infrastructure is fine now and the TV's and the internet access is up to date both WI FI and plug in available. The KING bed that we had was very very comfortable and there was ample storage for clothes. The Bathroom is very contemporary
the only thing missing is light switches to enter the Living room and the bedroom
in daytime not an issue but at night a little bit difficult finding the switches on each of the lamps to turn them on. An In room safe was available in the suite that we occupied it was very easy to use.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Quick check in. Downtown. Friendly staff. Fantastic hot upscale breakfast included. One of the best restaurants in the city. What more can a business traveller ask for. Stay here about once a month. It never disappoints

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Second stay at the Matrix. This hotel is showing a bit of wear and staff seemed to have an inability to handle a full hotel. Rooms were in desperate need of a good cleaning and wipe down. Tub kept getting plugged and toilet wouldn’t flush. Also ran out of hot water during the shower. When I mentioned the lack of hot water to the hotel staff, I was told that the hotel was full and everyone must have been showering all at once. A hotel should be able to handle this.

The complimentary continental breakfast is outstanding. A great variety of items for all tastes. The room service food was also tasty but extremely expensive for what you received.

The location of this hotel is good. Close to Jasper Avenue and the shopping mall. But because the hotel is downtown, it isn’t a quiet location. Also ask for a room away from the elevator.

There is wifi but is extremely unreliable. If you have to get work done, you are better off to bring your own internet cable and plug it in your room. Otherwise, go to Starbucks located on the side of the hotel.

All in all it was a decent hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the elevator
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Olaf M, General Manager at Matrix Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2013

I am sorry to hear about the challenges you encountered during your stay. We do utilize our guest feedback to continually improve our product and service. Since your stay we have addressed our hot water challenges through upgrades to our mechanical system and we have just implemented a new room service menu. We continually work with our housekeeping and maintenance departments to maintain and upgrade the hotel on both the mechanical and visual aspects. As such we are currently looking at upgrading our WIFI service and have a number of additional upgrades approved and planned to take place this summer.

I do hope to have you stay with us in the near future to experience our continued upgrades. Please contact me directly if you would like to discuss your stay further.

Omiede@matrixedmonton.com