“Service was exceptional”
Review of Matrix Hotel

Matrix Hotel
Ranked #10 of 91 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks ...the room was very clean; the service was exceptional and the staff went out of their way to be helpful! The Wildflower restaurant is very expensive for what you get, although quite tasty; and it is good that there are other restaurants nearby. Breakfast is included and it was delicious; a Keurig coffee machine is in the room and it is wonderful; also there is wine tasting at happy hour if you are so inclined. The best bookstore is only a short walk away. An adorable dress boutique is also across the street. However, parking can be a bit of a challenge if you are driving a 3/4 ton truck.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank K K
Write a ReviewReviews (2,840)

Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

Had seen this hotel on trip advisor and although the "trendy" tag was a bit off putting the photos and reviews encouraged me to book. Really pleased I did, great location, with excellent facilities.
I was in a Sterling suite, which was a trendy one bed suite with seperate lounge with kitchenette with large fridge, microwave and coffee machine. The large double bed was impressive, with a excellent BOSE wave machine radio play. I have the opportunity to pop upstairs to another Sterling suite, so I am assuming that there is one on each floor (special but not that special).
There isn't much of a view as you are pinned in by office blocks, Edmonton isn't the place you base yourself if you want excitement! My room had a great view into the office space of Blue Cross so nets needed to be closed unless you wanted them to see you in the all together.
The low lights were the decor, my room had a artex cellling that was poorly done (bad idea, badly executed), no central light in any room which was inconvenient. That said, the room was excellent.
The breakfast was horrible, if you are 12 you will love the choice of creals but for grown ups there was nothing. Starbucks are in the building so i would go around the corner and have something there!
The same goes for the daily cheese and wine, I didn't have the cheese but the wine was cheap and undrinkable, avoid or buy your own from the very nice staff. I would pop around to Jasper ave and get something there.
Could get into the wildflower resturant, which is again part of the hotel complex. This is in fact a high end restaurant for which you will need to book in advance to get a seat.
Overall very good, and worth checking out

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I stay at this hotel often since it is designated by my employer. I don't see whats so great about it. The rooms are ok. The front desk staff are very helpful, but the room service is horrible. Do not eat here unless you are not very hungry and want to throw your money away. The Wildflower grill located n the hotel is exceptional. but the room services is run seperately. On the occasions when i have ordered dinne fom here it is always horribly disapointing. The menu makes everything sounds great, but when it arrives at your door you will find that half of it is missing. Portion sizes are very small for the prices and none of the sides listed on the menu ever seem t actually make it. Very disappointing and a total rip off. Go to the wildflower grill and never order room service.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We had a great 2 night stay at the Matrix Hotel, and would definitely recommend to other travelers. Great location with parking, internet AND breakfast INCLUDED! We had no problems with the internet or air conditioning (it was snowing so we actually didn't need it). I did struggle to find the light switches in the room, and to get the TV to work, and the shower.....haha - maybe to modern for me??? We were in a suite which was nicely appointed with comfy furniture, and comfy beds and REALLY clean. A bonus was a Keurig rather than a regular coffee pot. The mini bar was well stocked all with reasonable prices....$1 for a bottle of water --I'm used to $6. Our suite was next to the elevator and didn't find it noisy at all. The only negative was that we didn't get our room made up. I just called down for fresh towels, so no big deal - I'm sure if I had complained it would have been serviced. HIGHLY recommend.

Room Tip: Be sure to check for deal after you book - our room rate dropped by $35 per night - so we ended up b...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I stayed for two nights on business and enjoyed my stay. It is a typical boutique hotel in the sense that the owners took an older hotel (or perhaps apartment building) and renovated it with a bit of flair. The service was above average: the check-in process was particularly expedient and the desk staff were very helpful (e.g., restaurant advice, booking taxis) during my stay. The room I stayed in on an upper floor was light and spacious, had a large desk and comfortable chair for work, and a great bed. The only underwhelming feature was the gym, which was surprisingly small for the size of the hotel. I didn't take advantage of the evening drinks in the hospitality suite or the included breakfast, but they both looked nice.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Communication is the cornerstone of modern day business and there's only one thing worse than no WIFI....weak WIFI that cuts out the whole time. they say on check-in you have high-speed WIFI.....complete lies. was here on business with many others and everyone complained about the (lack of) WIFI. had no WIFI in my room (although you could get a weak signal if you sat on thw bath), phoned reception and they said to use it in the lobby but doesn't work down there either. other than that the hotel was OK but i wouldn't stay again (if on business)

Room Tip: Not 1141...definelty has no WIF (despite what they say!)
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I love this hotel. Modern style - great rooms - satellite TV - great breakfast - free parking! I always stay in the deluxe king room. The bed is super comfy and the shower is great. They give you a decent hair dryer - not those little rinkydink ones that are attached to the wall. The free breakfast is delicious with fresh fruit and a fancy coffee machine. Free parking is a very welcome bonus considering it's a downtown location. Staff is very friendly :)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple