“Exceeded expectations with great service”
Review of Matrix Hotel

Matrix Hotel
Ranked #10 of 91 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed September 16, 2012

After a long flight delay, we arrived at the Matrix at 3 am (which was 5 am to our East coast bodies). Check in was friendly despite the late hour, and mercifully quick. When we arrived at our suite we discovered that it was right next to the elevator--in fact the bedroom portion of the suite was behind the elevator shaft. I was nervous about how loud it was going to be, but since it was so late we decided we'd live with it for the night. Amazingly, it was quiet as can be--I never would have known there was an elevator there if I hadnt seen it myself!

Our next pleasant surprise was breakfast, which the hotel describes as a continental breakfast but the buffet actually included hot items. While it wasn't amazing, for a free buffet it was much better than I expected, and there were ample choices.

The staff were always very friendly and helpful, stopping to greet us and trying to get a smile out of our young son. We had one small issue with the doors in our suite squeaking (a bigger concern when you are trying to put your young child down to sleep and then close the door to the bedroom!), and they sent someone to oil them right away. He fixed the problem quickly and even tested the other doors in the suite to make sure they were all soundless, saying he knew how important it was to be able to sneak around without disturbing the sleeping baby!

I will say that the bedroom was a bit small for th size of the furniture that was in there...it was quite tricky to find room for our travel crib, and we have a pretty compact model. However, the furnishings were all very nice--my only complaint is that the sleek, modern design is not very compatible with toddlers. Both our son and the children of other friends who came up to our room experienced a few bumps on their heads as a result. However, this is common in pretty much any environment not specifically designed for young children, not really a problem.

I see another reviewer mentioned the fire alarm. It went off one night during our stay as well (perhaps our stays overlapped). It was pretty quiet, in our room I wasn't sure it was an alarm or not. However, I could (just barely) hear an announcement being made that it was not an emergency and we could stay in our rooms. I don't know if the full alarm system was activated or not--perhaps in an actual emergency there would be a louder alarm inside the guest rooms? I hope so! Our son slept through that (maybe we didn't have to worry about th squeaky doors after all!), and I'm sure he wasn't the only one.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,810)

Reviewed September 9, 2012

The modern and nicely decorated room although small, had everything needed for a night of shopping & sightseeing downtown. The complimentary wine tasting was a pleasant surprise and complimentary hot breakfast wonderfully laid out! Definately will return when we travel to DT Edmonton again!

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Recently stayed here in a platinum suite. Everything was good. Not noisey, beds were so comfortable. Front desk staff were very helpful. A good cleaning was done everyday while we were out. I was a bit leary after reading some complaints on here but I never had one or saw any signs of one of the complaints. Top notch, reasonable price.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chad S
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We have stayed at the Matrix Hotel several times in the last couple of years and have always enjoyed our stay. Checking in is quick and efficient, the rooms are comfortable and the location is excellent.

The breakfast buffet is very nice. My son ordered room service from the Wildfire Grill and was thrilled although it was an expensive dinner.

Definitely recommend.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We have stayed at the Matrix in Edmonton on numerous occasions over the last couple of years and it has not disappointed yet. If you look you can usually find this hotel online for under $100 which is a great price considering you get free parking, free internet, and one of the best free breakfasts around. The staff is always great and the rooms always clean.
Stay here for sure.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Ken D
Reviewed September 3, 2012

My husband stayed at this hotel for two weeks for work. I joined him for 4 nights. The hotel is very clean. The rooms were cleaned everyday to a high standard, towels and sheets could be changed daily if you indicated. You could also choose not to have the room cleaned daily and you would receive a credit toward a coffee I believe. A hot breakfast was served daily, which was ok. There was a good selection, but the food wasn't outstanding. There is a Starbucks in the building on the street level and a restaurant. We didn't try the restaurant so I cannot comment on the quality. The location was great! We took the street car(a few blocks away) it went over a bridge to Old Strathcona. There are lots of shops and restaurants there to check out and we walked back to the hotel through a park along the river. It was a great way to spend a day! The only issue I have with the hotel is the fact that the fire alarm is not very loud. My husband woke me up one night because the fire alarm was going off in the hall. I would not have woken up if he wasn't there. We were staying on the 14th floor, we were not going to take any chances so we went down the stairs to see very few people outside and in the lobby. There was 3 fire trucks, however no fire. I am not sure why there was so few people downstairs, maybe they didn't wake up to the alarm? The fire alarm went off two more times in the next two days. Overall we had a good experience, the staff was very friendly and somewhat helpful. When I asked if there was anywhere to rent bikes, they did not know of any and did a search finding nothing. I did a simple search and found a company offering bikes for rental downtown.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for our 23rd wedding anniversary on Labour Day weekend. The hotel was 100% booked but that did not prevent one staff member, Augusto, from making sure our stay was great. Augusto went the extra mile for us, asking if we had received the wine we had ordered when the other staff neglected to deliver it. He then made the delivery himself even though he was busy working the front desk. Thank you Augusto! Would recommend this hotel if you are looking for a hotel downtown.

• Stayed: September 2012