“Better than expected”

Ranked #10 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“Better than expected”
Reviewed October 16, 2011

Stayed for 4 nights Sept 2011.
Have read the previous 'up and down' rewiews of this hotel, we were a little concerned about our stay - however we should not have worried.
The hotel seems to be primarily target towards business and conference use, not too suprising as Edmonton is more of a 'functional' city than a tourist destination. The hotel is located slightly away from the central downtown area - so at night the immediate area is quiet (some people might feel a little more secure if it was slightly busier) - it is however usefully only one block away from the subway stop and major bus routes.
Good points
1)Nice sized room which gave us a good nights sleep (higher floor/end of corridor)
2)Good breakfast included in the price (not usual for North American hotels)
3)Staff were pleasant and efficient
4)Hotel runs a good policy of giving the option of not having the room 'made up' every day
Bad points
1)No safe in room - Had access to safe deposit box facilities at reception but this a little too public
2)The infamous bathroom door - this has been mentioned on previous reviews. It is a sliding door that you normally get in a disabled access room (rather strange for a room on the 15th floor!) and whilst you have privacy (unless someone makes a deliberate effort to look round the side of it) there is a large gap at the top which does help with noises/smells.
A good place to visit nearby is the Legislature building - a great guided tour explaining how the state goverment works and the most impressive building in the city.

Room Tip: Higher floor and end of corridor may help. Some previous reviews mention soundproofing is an issue...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Canada
Reviewed October 16, 2011

I have stayed here four times now on business. I have had wonderful rooms that were quiet and quite lovely. The last visit, however, was in a room with excessive fan noise. Request a quiet room. The free parking is a nice touch but it does tend to fill up. They are absolutely firm (and I do understand) on the need to relocate your car after checkout. I had a meeting that ran a half hour past the checkout time and this could not be accommodated. the wine tasting and the breakfast are excellent.

Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Lloydminster, Canada
Reviewed October 11, 2011

We have stayed at The Matrix four times now, and are by no means done!

The hotel is located just outside of the heart of Edmonton's downtown, and very convenient. There is a parkade with free parking, or you can pay for valet service.

The hotel staff are lovely, and my husband and I appreciate the perks that make us feel like their best guests - complimentary wine and cheese in the evenings, and a complimentary breakfast (with hot breakfast options) in the morning.

The rooms are spacious and comfortable, clean, and well appointed. The beds are of excellent quality and very comfortable.

An added bonus: the hotel boasts The Wildflower Grill, which is an excellent restaurant, and there is a Starbucks downstairs as well!

We will definitely be back. This hotel has become our Edmonton Date Night Jumping Off Point. We love it.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 6, 2011

I stayed alone at this hotel on a Saturday night for a wedding. The hotel and room are fairly nice and the room seemed fine until I went to sleep. One of the windows had a large crack to the outside and the noise coming from the fans of the roof below were so loud it kept me up half the night. I didn't call to complain during the night as it was very late plus the only way to fix the window would be to replace it or put silicone or something in the crack. The pictures of the window look like a dumpy motel. I was so tired in the morning and had to drive back to Calgary so I just paid my bill and left. I figured I'd write a review instead of asking for half my money back or something. The hotel is probably aware of the window as I'm sure in the winter it's a very cold wind that blows through it. They really need to fix it if they don't want more people complaining and I'd be shocked if I was the first. I don't think I'd stay here again, not for the price. The breakfast was also kind of gross.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
matrix_gm, General Manager at Matrix Hotel, responded to this review, October 14, 2011
Dear RutabegaSaranwrap:

Thank you for your feedback. I was very disappointed in reading your review, and somewhat surprised. First, my apoplogies for your experience. We have replaced several windows in our guest rooms recently to ensure an excellent environment for our guests, and were not aware of this particular room. We would have certainly addressed the issue at departure, but unfortunately, as you have indicated, we did not have a chance to discuss it with you during your stay. Thus, please do contact me directly at pr[at]matrixedmonton.com and I would be more than happy to speak with you about it. It would also assist us in identifying the guest room easily so we may repair it immediately for future guests. Again, my apologies for the inconvenience.

Thank you for staying with us, and we certainly hope to speak with you so that we might accommodate you better in the future.

Regards,
Nicholas Wilson
Reviewed September 26, 2011

The hotel is beautifully appointed and has very professsional staff. The reservation included breakfast each morning as well as a wine and cheese tasting each evening. The room was small but well decorated and clean.

Room Tip: Due to the wait for the elevator, it would be more convenient to be on a lower floor.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank AlissaJayne
Spruce Grove, Canada
Reviewed September 19, 2011

We had a wonderful romantic weekend at this hotel. The room was gorgeous (we stayed in the Sterling suite). The staff were nice. And the complimentary breakfast was very delicious. The selection was good and everything was very fresh, especially the fruit. We would definately stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Serina88
Reviewed September 17, 2011

I had the opportunity to stay overnight at the Matrix Hotel while on business in downtown Edmonton this past week. It is centrally located to everything that downtown Edmonton has to offer and is a pleasant surprise as a place to stay. Every evening they have a complimentary wine tasting, as well as providing you with a wonderful complimentary breakfast which constituted more than a traditional continental breakfast. The hotel staff was wonderful and friendly in assisting with questions about the hotel and the area. I had the pleasure receiving a night in the Sterling Suite, which was totally an unexpected surprise. All in all, I highly recommend the Matrix Hotel if you are looking for a downtown Edmonton option for your stay!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business