“Wonderful little piece of food paradise!”

El Rancho El Salvadorian &Mexican Cuisine
Ranked #494 of 2,498 Restaurants in Edmonton
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 20, 2013

This is a small restaurant that many people in Edmonton don't know about but they should! Food is absolutely delicious and features a combination of Mexican and Salvadorean cuisine so if you are Latino and want real Latin flavor this is one of the closest you'll find (from the places I have tried, that is).
I chose this place because their menu offers many gluten free options and I wanted to bring my partner who loves Mexican but is GF intolerant. Service was good and the variety of dishes was great, my favorite part was dessert, they have a very tasty pastel tres leches, my favorite!
We'll definitely come back next time we're in town :)

There are newer reviews for El Rancho El Salvadorian &Mexican Cuisine

Reviewed April 5, 2013

I went there for a late lunch with a friend that called the restaurant in advance to see when they open it also said on the website open at 3 we got there at 3:55 and it still was not open... But the door was unlocked .. So I walked in and I was escorted out by the waiter saying there not open until 5 wth is that I will never go there again they were terrible not to mention my friend was in a wheelchair ... How disrespectful... Never will I recommend that service to anyone. Plus it's small.. And it looks like you eat where u literally . The washroom is beside the one table .. Discusting!!!

1  Thank Stephen G
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We've been here a couple times and the food was very good, while the service lacked. We went this Saturday with another couple. Started with the Tamales, Appetizer Plate and Pupusas. I wish we would have stopped there. The Tamales and Pupusas were delicious, the appetizer plate was OK. We had the Chicken Enchiladas for main course. We were still eating the appetizers when the food came. The enchiladas were drowning in the sauce which wouldn't have been a big deal except the sauce was so bitter I couldn't even eat it. I tried this same dish last time we were here and it was Delish. Not sure why they would serve a sauce that was obviously burnt. It was Horrible. Not sure I would go back now.

1  Thank Dirtidawg77
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Loved this restaurant. We have to eat out gluten-free and mexican/el salvadorean is a natural fit. Recommend the tamales and the appy plate -- which gives you a filling sample of some of their dishes (flautas etc). The service is a tad slow and the restaurant itself isn't fancy (it's often a bit cold, in my experience). But El Rancho's food is the real deal. It's on our to do list next time we're in Edmonton again.

ps For dessert, go across the street to the Handy Bakery and get a custard tart!

Reviewed June 30, 2012

I had come here previously with my wife and found the food to be delicious. Having the opportunity to speak my modest Spanish here was an added bonus. We came with eight of
us, being my Spanish teacher, my classmates and two spouses. As many other reviewers have
mentioned, the decor here is more like an outdated mom and pop diner. Never have had any
problem parking out front. Service is very friendly but if you are in a huge hurry, this is not the place to go. For the third time, my wife and I ordered the platter for two supplemented by some pupasas. I recommend the same. For dessert, we prefer the tres leches cake, although some liked the fried ice cream. All in all, good food for a reasonable price. Everything is fresh and
tastes good. We like this as a good alternative restaurant