“Bizarre treatment”
Review of Wildflower Grill

Wildflower Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Wildflower Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #78 of 2,527 Restaurants in Edmonton
Cuisines: Contemporary, Canadian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Wildflower Grill is a contemporary restaurant that offers an innovative menu which highlights Canada's diverse culture and history. The menu features game meats and fresh seafood that accentuates fresh flavours. Located in a Downtown Edmonton, Wildflower has become one of Edmonton's top dining spots.
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I made reservations at the Wildflower several nights in advance for a party of four. We arrived at the restaurant app. 5 minutes early. The hostess commented that we were early but that she would do her best to try to seat us. I found this somewhat reluctant concession a little surprising as there were a number of available tables, and there was no-one else looking for a table other than us. She quickly determined that she could seat us and pointed to the open table a few feet away. This table was positioned squarely in front of the door to the restaurant and very close to the hostess station. Members of my party were not altogether pleased with the location of this table and asked if we could be seated at one of the other several available tables. We even pointed out one of the open tables which we preferred. This suggestion seemed to offend the hostess. As I had already commenced taking my place at the table, she brusquely asked me to step away from the table, and she would see if she could place us elsewhere. At this point she consulted with the restaurant maitre d’, and they reported back to us that all the other tables in the restaurant were reserved specifically by other customers. This was the only table available. Again I found this somewhat astonishing, since there was nothing particularly remarkable about the location of these other tables, and it stretched credulity to believe that they all had been specifically requested. Having no choices other than to sit at the table offered or leave the restaurant, we dutifully took our seats. The meal was fine, although I found it a bit pricey (e.g. $35.00 for breast of chicken), the service was good, and we completed our dinner. After dinner, I took the opportunity to speak with the maitre d’ to express my displeasure at how we had been treated with regard to our desire to have our table request accommodated. He again re-iterated that the tables had all been specifically reserved. When I expressed my disbelief that this could be so, and stated that I could not believe that the table which we originally indicated we preferred had been specifically asked for, he stated that he was offended that I was doubting his honesty. After a few more exchanges, the conversation ended. However the story does not end there. My spouse decided to politely approach the party who was at the table we had earlier requested, to determine whether they had indeed specifically asked for that table when making their reservation. To no-one’s surprise, their answer was no. They wondered why we would ask that, and whether there was even something wrong with that table. My spouse explained what had happened.
So there it is. A bizarre and in my opinion unprofessional, to say nothing of dishonest, treatment of customers looking for a nice evening out, at one of Edmonton’s reputedly finer eateries. I for one will not go back. But if you do, beware. Apparently you must not only make a reservation, but you must choose your table in advance or be left to the mercy of management.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

The restaurant is a bit cramped and menu is quite small. For a picky eater this is not necessarily a great choice. However he food is very good and the speed of service is quite quick.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

Went for lunch, and as usual the quality and presentation of the food was very high. This remains one of Edmonton's top three dining choices for fine dining.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

Went here recently for Mother's Day 2013 with my 10 month old and was surprised at how accomodating they were. Its in the Matrix Hotel, the decor was fabulous, wasn't too noisy so my daughter actually slept through dinner and the layout was well thought out for business meeting or an intimate setting. Free parking very close to the building always a plus downtown.

We were seated promptly, despite the fact they were busy. Our server was ALASTAIR who was very knowledgeable, fast and pleasant, he recommended everything we ate and he was spot on with his choices we enjoyed everything, he even took our pictures to commemorate the night, top notch service for sure.

The food was superb! We were given some a smoked salmon dish on a spoon which you'll see in some of the pics that was a nice tasting and was complimentary. The bread service was fantastic, tempts you to ask for more lol. We had the feature risotto (pic included) for an appetizer, I actually started eating before taking a pic sorry about that but it was really good. It was a generous size so I would suggest sharing it with someone which we did. My husband had the lamb which he said was really good and I had the salmon dish which was very delightful in its presentation and taste. The shrimp and scallops were good and was enough food that you didn't feel like you were being overcharged for fish. My husband actually ended up eating some. We had the sticky toffee for desert which is caramelicious! and the chef sent some complimentary treat as well, needless to say we were stuffed :)

Considering all the food we ate the bill was less than we expected which is always a pleasant surprise. All in all a great night and a great choice I will be back!

1  Thank Kay A
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Sharing three delicious lighter fare dishes at this elegant restaurant was truly enjoyable. The braised beef short rib, three mushroom ravioli, and lobster braised prawn and Thai green curry garganelli were all excellently prepared and presented. The outstanding dish was the green curry pasta and is a must try, also recommended by the chef in Avenue review. This dish had slivers of red bell pepper, crimini and black trumpet mushrooms, cilantro, garganelli pasta and the most unique green curry dressing, light, flavorful and exquisite. Mushroom lovers would enjoy the ravioli dish, as the filling is quite definite, in contrast to the subtle flavors of the sauce, asparagus and additional mushrooms. The short rib, with complimentary sauce, was tender and tasty.